Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 05:14 PM

Not really for 'discussion', but serious anyway

As someone who's lived most of her life close to the sea in Cornwall, married a Cornishman, and has two Cornish offspring, 19th December is a significant and sad date.

On this day in 1981 the Penlee Lifeboat sank whilst effecting a rescue in hurricane-force seas near Land's End.

All eight (volunteer) crewmen died.

Bravery and sacrifice beyond reckoning.

The term 'hero' is vastly overused, particularly by sports commentators, but lifeboatmen everywhere truly deserve that description.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 05:21 PM

Re: Not really for 'discussion', but serious anyway

I certainly agree with you there Deb.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 05:42 PM

Totally agree with you. In my lifetime, the local lifeboat has suffered two similar losses of life.

The Fraserburgh lifeboat...

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 05:52 PM

Many of the bravest people in the world and I believe all volunteers too.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 05:53 PM

I had friends in Penzance and Newlyn years ago and the Mousehole community felt the loss of the the crew of the Solomon Browne more than most.

I remember visiting a Memorial Garden - is it still there? stevmk2
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I had friends in Penzance and Newlyn years ago and the Mousehole community felt the loss of the the crew of the Solomon Browne more than most.

I remember visiting a Memorial Garden - is it still there? stevmk2
Yes it is.

I very well remember the shock of hearing that one of the local lifeboats had been lost. We were living at the time in Porthleven, which is just along the coast. And my husband worked with one of the men (John Blewett) who died that night.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 06:11 PM

I agree 100% ,they are truly marvellous people, the sea is a very cruel enemy. That is why they are my charity of choice as they deserve every penny.
God bless them all.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 06:19 PM

Debs I can remember the 'Penlee' tragedy and the wonderful volunteer crew of the Lifeboat, and let's not forgetting the sacrifice made by the families of these men .

They are an example to us all our Lifeboatmen who freely give of themselves to save others, they are a very special breed...
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 07:51 PM

Lynton and Lynmouth was once a popular week-end retreat for my wife and myself and I remember the story below which is worth a read, even more for those who have seen the hills. Lost the brakes on my step fathers car on them, that is another story of miserly maintaince.
Love Cornwall and its history, well I would, on my fathers side of the family commissioned and had built ships under sail for commercial trade out of Polzeath

http://www.visitlyntonandlynmouth.co...verland-launch
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 09:18 PM

Ode to a Sailor

DONNA CARNES

sailor,
fleeting mood image of you;
all sailor in bear grace,
rough hands and poetic dream;
etched in sunlight at land’s end;
teacher in the rough most elegant and simple.

sailor,
you draw me like moon pull;
you don’t know how alike you are,
you, the sea, and the force of wild wind;
so like the sun, the comfort warmth of you;
I will miss you all the days of my life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top