Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 01:42 PM

The end of TV licences

According to this article in the Times:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/n...Ty9r3ca2nMJF0s

Boris has promised to end the TV tax, though for some reason he can't do this for another 7 years; something to do with existing agreements.

Still, not before time. At last the biased BBC will have to fund itself and its politically biased programmes and news.

In the meantime, it is perfectly possible to declare that you don't watch any live TV or BBC catch-up services:

"Did you know that if you watch all of your programmes on demand or on catch up (excluding BBC player)and not live you do not need to pay your TV licence saving £154 a year! It will also stop funding the lying fake news BBC. You can have a TV but so long as you do not watch the TV 'live' you do not need to pay. I do not even watch live TV, Netflix and catch up covers everything - I need to do this!
- Cancel your payment If you pay by direct debit you can cancel it by filling out TV Licensing's contact form. Tell them you no longer watch TV live or BBC iplayer. You'll also need to cancel your direct debit with your bank. If you pay with a TV Licensing payment card, you'll need to call 0300 555 0286.
- Then fill out the declaration. Everyone who no longer requires a TV licence can fill out a No Licence Needed declaration form. Click the link I have posted below this post to tell them you no longer need a TV licence.
What happens if they want to send someone out to check your house you might say?
- Enquiry officers do not have any legal powers to come into your home unless they have a search warrant from a magistrate. They have an implied right under common law to come to your front door and let you know they are there but that is all they have so just tell them they can not come in! They will not be able to get a search warrant and even if they d you can have a TV anyway and watch Box sets on demand, ITV hub so they can not say otherwise.
Thousands of people have stopped funding the BBC so lets start to spread the word so that everyone knows you do not need to pay this forced scam tax to fund the BBC propaganda machine!"
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 02:34 PM

Re: The end of TV licences

Hi JB I understand changes can't me make until the current charter expires I am not sure how long that is but less than 7 years I rather think.

I will go on paying my licence fee until I am notified to do otherwise.
I don't mind paying and think the licence it is good value for radio and TV particularly if you take into consideration the cost of a cinema or theatre visit these days.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi JB I understand changes can't me make until the current charter expires I am not sure how long that is but less than 7 years I rather think.

I will go on paying my licence fee until I am notified to do otherwise.
I don't mind paying and think the licence it is good value for radio and TV particularly if you take into consideration the cost of a cinema or theatre visit these days.
The sooner the better, as far as I'm concerned.

The cost of Amazon Prime is half of that of a TV licence and (apart from free delivery of Amazon items) that includes an extensive list of films and other programmes which, in my experience, are far better that most of the offerings on TV. It also provides 'catch up' programmes and, without a TV licence, all except the BBC ones are available.

The thing which annoys me in particular is the fact that paying the TV licence subsidises the politically-biased BBC. How can a so-called national broadcasting organisation be allowed to demand money from us to support its political leanings?

Incidentally, I have not patronised the kinema for many decades!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 05:21 PM

I have just received my very first Free TV licence. But it is valid until the 31st of May 2020. Then I have to pay for a new TV licence. (That will never happen.)
With all the likes of me, I wonder how long it would be until I get a ring from my door bell. With an official from the licensing organisation on my door step.
They must be millions of us defiant old farts that are thinking the same as I.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-03-2020, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I have just received my very first Free TV licence. But it is valid until the 31st of May 2020. Then I have to pay for a new TV licence. (That will never happen.)
With all the likes of me, I wonder how long it would be until I get a ring from my door bell. With an official from the licensing organisation on my door step.
They must be millions of us defiant old farts that are thinking the same as I.
They can't put us all in prison.

After all, they're so full up that they can't even put criminals in them.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 05:42 PM

The BBC has got much too big, with too many channels and too many radio stations. They should trim around 50% of the output dross and cut the licence fee by the same amount, I wouldn't mind paying it then!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 06:16 PM

Hi

I do not like adverts or dumbing down.

I am quite happy to pay the current TV Licence, less than £1 a day.

The BBC is truly independent and is very well respected Worldwide.

Labour are complaining more about the BBC than the Tories.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2020, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am quite happy to pay the current TV Licence, less than £1 a day.

The BBC is truly independent and is very well respected Worldwide.

Labour are complaining more about the BBC than the Tories.
Let's call them lefty liberal, whatever, aunty beeb is a national treasure. We know where we stand with her.

And no we are not supporting the Labour Party, that's quite ridiculous.

After all these years, I've now discovered the joys of BBC iPlayer. We are currently halfway through Summer of Rockets https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p078h648 ... excellent! With bluetooth boom 3, Ms d00d & I are watching stuff on the laptop in bed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-03-2020, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Who does?

I wouldn't mind, but if you should ever watch them now you'd see loud, uninteresting and certainly not in the least entertaining rubbish.

I remember when at least some adverts were funny and, to an extent, entertaining.

No problem, though. I always skip through them.
I have a 1 minute advance and a 10 second back button which makes skipping even quicker. I usually find four or five minutes is usual to skip most adverts, though some of the amateur channels add on extra time for 'forthcoming programmes' padding.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2020, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The sooner the better, as far as I'm concerned.

The cost of Amazon Prime is half of that of a TV licence and (apart from free delivery of Amazon items) that includes an extensive list of films and other programmes which, in my experience, are far better that most of the offerings on TV. It also provides 'catch up' programmes and, without a TV licence, all except the BBC ones are available.

The thing which annoys me in particular is the fact that paying the TV licence subsidises the politically-biased BBC. How can a so-called national broadcasting organisation be allowed to demand money from us to support its political leanings?

Incidentally, I have not patronised the kinema for many decades!
That's what bothers me too. I was just reading today that a couple of actors are leaving the Dr who cast (or Dr Woke as they call it) because it has become complete lefty crap and has lost all its viewers. We are paying towards this all embracing clap-trap.

I would much rather have the choice whether to sign up to this politically correct organisation.... or not.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top