Join for free
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 11:45 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Blimey Jem that is a big one!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 11:46 PM

, I ain't forgotten that one.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Gummy I got you a present of a new gun for Christmas, you’ll need a helper to hold it up, but next time that wild turkey shows up he won’t stand a chance.

which direction did those two go in when that backfired?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 11:50 PM

That takes some aiming.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 12:00 AM

I haven't a clue Gummy, I was going through old American photo's on google when I copped it, one couldn’t miss with that.

Did you know that Cliff Richard had a single out in the 60’s with “Batchelor Boy” on the ‘A’ side, and “Kiss Me” on the backside.

I'm off to bed now after a hard days work, see yiz all tomorrow with the help of God.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

13-11-2018, 12:22 AM

Gummy is feeding his pooches, Spitty is doing returns, the midnight oil is burning, but Possums are eating the worms.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 07:41 AM

The Brain...…………………………………………..Makes ya Think, dun it.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 07:48 AM

Our saturday trip on a big junk - wooden not fibreglass!

the term junk has become synonymous with a whole range of chinese style boats from the very small to modern versions not made of wood at all but fibreglass.

One wet and windy Saturday afternoon we set sail on a junk very similar to that shown on the youtube. Saturdays could just be shopping days/stay at home days for respite from the heavy social demands of HK life or 'let's get together and have a fun day.'

We did this just after a typhoon had past through and without sails up. The call had gone out "we have hired a junk for a barbecue aboard ship bring ya own booze; kids and food" The men arranged the booze and the women everything else.

We left from our own quayside in Mei Foo Sun Chuen and motored out into the harbor with sails lowered. There are approximately 365 islands around HK, most of them uninhabited and so it was head in a clockwise direction to wherever you wish.

On the old junks there are not many niceties in terms of comfort so grab a deck box platform or the deck itself ; place down ya mat and invite others to join in. It was safe for the toddlers to run around as they couldn't see over the sides and the older ones were warned 'no heroic pirate tricks.'

We had picked the wrong afternoon and a few were starting to get sea sick and had wobbly legs so we soon headed back to shore and arranged to meet that evening at a designated waterhole to continue with what HKers do best - eat together.

In those days it was most acceptable to sit at the table after the meal with a cigar lit - doubt if it would be these days and the rooms and fans were big enough to move around the air. Hong Kong in those days was a 'mans town' you understand in which the women were graciously treated, but I didn't observe many smoking cigars. Some of the 'gweipors' [slang name of foreign female devil] found it hard to adjust to, but you learned fast and enjoyed fast.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

13-11-2018, 01:55 PM

Lovely tales Gummy.
Do you miss that life?
I love a fast life. But I must slow down, as I miss things. Of course it is fast in NY, a town that never sleeps, that is very true.
I will be posting from there next week.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

13-11-2018, 02:55 PM

In a way I do - we could play in the excitement of HK city and Kowloon city all with entertainment and great food or literally head out to the outback villages close to the border with China where life was much quieter and relaxing. Because we had so many Chinese friends we all moved freely around the colony!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top