Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 09:13 AM

Re: They are taking over, even traditional whisky!

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Not too sure about it being called Scotch whisky, although it does make me wonder? Here we cannot call food products by their traditional name unless it is actually produced in that area. Take champagne for instance, that can only have that brand name if it's produced in the Champagne area of France. Pork pies for instance, Melton Mowbray pies possibly come under the same regulations.
Yes I realise this, of course, I was meaning to underline that this is a Scottish distillery being shipped out to China. I misunderstood, and thought that this had been a working distillery in Scotland that produced 'Scotch' whisky, and is now being packed up and sent to China. However, I've now read the linked article and realise that's not the case!

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
If China's buying of the distillery is a bad thing, shouldn't some of the blame go to whoever sold it to them?
Totally agree Harbal. Unfortunately China knows that everyone has their price, meaning businesses around the world are happily selling their souls to them.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 09:16 AM

They're not saying which distillery it is , just that it's a Speyside , The Chinese want to control everything
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->

Totally agree Harbal. Unfortunately China knows that everyone has their price, meaning businesses around the world are happily selling their souls to them.
Well we can only do our bit by not buying their whisky.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
If China's buying of the distillery is a bad thing, shouldn't some of the blame go to whoever sold it to them?
This was all made possible by a Scottish tycoon, an entrepreneur. From comments in the article on the link below, it was welcomed by some in Scotland as a boost to their economy. I just wonder though, when it's all finally operational and that whisky is being exported to Scotland, possibly very much cheaper than the price of traditional whisky, if those comments will remain valid?

As usual it is all about money and acquiring more of it I guess:

https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/201...ia-distillery/
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 09:30 AM

Don't drink. Still makes me sad though to see another business moving to China. Sad not surprised.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
An entire whisky distillery is being shipped out from Scotland to China on Friday.

"More than 35 tonnes of equipment, including stills, flooring, control valves and pipework, is leaving Buckie in Moray for the port of Tianjin.

Valentine International chairman and managing director David Valentine said the project was the brainchild of Mengtai chairman Ao Fengting, who planned to create a "globally award-winning whisky"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...iness-57825081

Yet another product labelled with "Made in China" on it! Where is all this going to end I wonder?

I cannot comment on the product as I am teetotal but are there any comments from
OFF whisky drinkers on this, particularly our Scottish members?
My understanding is that whisky has an element of peat included in the distilling process that gives it a distinctive aroma - are they going to import Scottish peat as well?

I’ve tried a few but it’s not really my drink. I prefer Gin or a lovely Liqueur (I’ve got one that I’m saving for a special occasion - see pic). Some whisky’s are really strong.That being said, I’ve got a nice selection in the bar if I’m entertaining family and friends. I do enjoy a Jack Daniels now and then…

Click image for larger version

Name:	1BE42E03-DEDB-4917-99AA-FCEFC5195368.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	16305

Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 11:29 AM

The Scots must be laughing their socks off!

I went on a tour of a distillery, back in the early 1970s, and we were taken through the process from start to finish.

The presenter pointed out that mostly everything in all of the Distilleries was from the same source, except the water.

The barrels, machines, chemicals, plants, all the same, from the same source.

He joked that the labels were the only real difference.

The taste could be affected by the mix.

So have the Chinese bought the rights to the word "Scotch". or "Scottish"?

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 11:36 AM

The vision of a Chinaman wearing a kilt making Scottish wisky makes the mind boggle. They are smaller in stature so the sporran will be dragging in the floor for them to trip over. Next question, above or below the knee kilt height and with or without you know what.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 11:56 AM

Well the Japanese make some very fine whisky. Yamazaki for one. Great Wall red wine is pretty good too.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
The vision of a Chinaman wearing a kilt making Scottish wisky makes the mind boggle.
I suggest you try not to visualise it, RS; a mind can sometimes become too boggled.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top