Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 05:25 PM

Re: Your Ancestry

I came to the UK in March 1939 as an 8-year-old Jewish migrant. My research into family history has therefore not been based on parish registers or British census information. I have relied on what my mother told me, a cache of family photographs and phone conversations with my cousin who never left Vienna.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
So, you’re Jewish LD?
Yes, but I would class myself as non observant. Some old traditions remain with me, but probably out of habit and of course the mohel nicked my pullover However, pork never passes my lips just in case a bolt of lightning comes winging my way
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I cannot show you my coat of arms but I can tell you that the shield bears the bar sinister .....
Dracula 🧛
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
I came to the UK in March 1939 as an 8-year-old Jewish migrant. My research into family history has therefore not been based on parish registers or British census information. I have relied on what my mother told me, a cache of family photographs and phone conversations with my cousin who never left Vienna.
I hope you’ve been able to piece together your ancestry Mr M
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

18-03-2021, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Yes, but I would class myself as non observant. Some old traditions remain with me, but probably out of habit and of course the mohel nicked my pullover However, pork never passes my lips just in case a bolt of lightning comes winging my way
It’s not my favourite either
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

18-03-2021, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I got back as far as the 1841 census for the most part although I do have official documents that seem to suggest that George Stevenson (of railway steam engine fame) is, possibly, an ancestor of mine. I wonder if that's where I get my love of science and technology from?
How wonderful Percy
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

18-03-2021, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
My Mum was convinced her side of the family was related to the Duke of Buckingham, as one of them hundreds of years ago had the same surname as her Dad, but could never prove a link between them.

My dad's side of the family were all born and bred in and around Bristol. One of his ancestors had been a local coalminer. My paternal grandad was a stonemason and became foreman of a council depot at some point.

His family were Quakers, yet I have a photo of my grandad in an army uniform, so perhaps he was a medic or ambulance driver.

My mum's side of the family come from the South Gloucestershire farming community. Her dad and his two brothers fought in WW1. The youngest brother never came home.
Granny had three brothers. All survived fought in the war, and they all came home.
What horrors they must have seen.

My paternal grandad emigrated to Australia in 1919 under a government soldier-settler scheme to farm there, and sent for his fiance, my granny, three years later. She had the banns read on the ship and they married in Perth the day after the ship docked in Freemantle.

My mum was born and lived on the farm. My Uncle was born over here. What a trek that was for a pregnant woman with a seven year old in tow, and the return journey to the farm with a babe in Arms.

The depression hit and the farm was no longer viable, so the family came back here. Mum and dad met when they were sixteen and twenty two respectively, and got married four years later in 1946.

And that is how I came to be me.
What an interesting history Fruitcake !
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 07:37 PM

You could shake my family tree and watch all the nuts fall...
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
The trouble with Ancestry - for me - is I know lots down one route (father's mother's father .....) but very little about where all the other routes lead. So there's something of interest dating back 300 odd years but so quickly watered down.
I find ancestry very interesting
It can be, but .... say, you can identify an interesting notable person from say a couple of hundred years ago, ten generation ago, you are less than 1% him/her.

If you want to know whose blood is flowing through your veins you really should know about all your forefathers. Tracing back a couple of hundred years and there are 1000s involved, and it's easy to get selective forgetting about the unknowns and the uninteresting (99%).

As far as I know, I'm a bit Saxon, a bit Celt, a bit protestant, a bit catholic (Scots French). I don't know of anything much, I'm probably typically British.

What about you Minx? Did you say you're from another continent?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2021, 01:42 AM

And there I was thinking that you’re living with the consequences of surfing and fun in the sun because your ancestors stole a loaf of bread...
Living with the consequences of luck in choosing my parents well and living where I do Minx. Like most Australians..and South Africans as well I guess, luck has not been the only thing that has given us our good life. Lots of bloody hard work over many generations had more than a bit to do with it too. THere are six states and two territories that make up the Federation of Australia. Before 1901 they were colonies of the UK. So they are all different and have different beginnings. After the British were kicked out of America in the 1770s they had to find a new dumping ground for the criminals and other people they didn't want. THat was Sydney. It stated as a very sad, desperate and almost starving little outpost that very nearly died. But those that were here; Captain Phillip who was basically a good bloke and his charges decided to make a go of it. Maybe it was because of the sunshine that they tried so hard Then came others, it grew and took off like a rocket. Now it is an Alpha global city with the same level of regional power as Chicago, Frankfurt, Los Angeles, Madrid, Toronto, Milan and a number of others. I am aware of other places in the world, towns etc, that started as penal colonies; some of which never really amounted to anything more. But Sydney and the country it started is the only successful sovereign state on Earth that started it's life as a prison. If you can think of another please let me know.

Reference:-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalization_and_World_Cities_Research_Network

So yes those few wretches who were rotting in the hulks on The Thames were lucky enough to be a part of the beginning of my city. If they survived the trip they ended up part of one of the greatest social experiments in human history. Some of them were bad crims yes. Others may have done as little as steal some bread to feed their kids. But they all ended up in the sunshine and got to swim in the surf. And many of them ended up free with their own land and their own country. And they wouldn't have gone back for quids. THe bad parts of our history are not to be admired. That is the treatment of the people that were here first. The 60,000 year old culture that we invaded. We are working hard to reconcile with them. It will be a long task. There is good will on both sides. Read similar for all the other states. Except SOuth Australia which never had any convicts at all. All free settlers. Hope this helps.

As for me I am a mixture. My dad's family were timber workers who helped build the the great city of San Francisco. They came from the Bay Area, Sacramento and further north from Oregon and Washington. My father's parents came to Sydney at the turn of the last century. My Dad was the first generation Australian. My mother was born in England.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top