Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2021, 01:34 PM

Re: Working from home – good idea, yes or no?

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
When Office based, it wasn't just the work to consider, it was the discipline, personal interaction, negotiation, all the interpersonal stuff which forms a character, were heading for a strange society at the moment.
Indeed .....

No more "water-cooler moments", "kitchen collisions" or "stockroom accidents", etc. .....
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2021, 01:45 PM

As a self-employed computer consultant I worked from home from 1984 to 1996 when I retired. I had short periods of time at my clients’ premises and there were various one-off meetings –- long before it was fashionable. I enjoyed the freedom it gave me to work hours that suited me. Most of the time I worked longer hours than before but my quality of life was much better.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2021, 02:00 PM

There's a large "Elephant In The Room", when it comes to working from home, In my opinion.

That Elephant is called Trust.

(Funny name for an elephant, but, you know what I mean).

Both the working person, and the Management (assuming they are working people as well) , will have to reach a level of trust to make it work.

There will be some who put the time in & keep the Company running.

There will be others.

It won't take long to work through that.

Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2021, 02:02 PM

I'd have loved to work from home exclusively because I'd have had enough space and a quiet environment which is a precondition. But, unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to. Instead, I had to commute and pollute the environment, wasted a lot of time in traffic jams and on icy, blocked roads. Didn't like it at all.

Depends very much on the individual circumstances, though. No one-size-fits-all solution possible.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2021, 03:25 PM

Working from Home is ok, if you don't have any one else there in the Household, that will stop you from working.

And how does your boss know if you are actually working or doing nothing?

The plus side is, that you can sit there in your PJs all day or even naked if you prefer.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2021, 03:27 PM

Let's not forget the other potential bonus of a decline in the need for office blocks, which could be re-purposed for affordable homes.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2021, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Let's not forget the other potential bonus of a decline in the need for office blocks, which could be re-purposed for affordable homes.
Why "affordable" homes. Much better in towns and cities would be luxury flats.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2021, 04:59 PM

Work? That is something to avoid
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2021, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Why "affordable" homes. Much better in towns and cities would be luxury flats.
Good point. Mind you, there are still plenty of office blocks in less celubrious areas
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2021, 05:36 PM

In terms of trust. We have an app that tells everyone when we are away from our desk or offline. So if you are online people can tell if you are not touching the keyboard or mouse as the colour next to your name changes. Also you end up being at your desk more because people could randomly call you online or your phone rings in the middle of a meeting even. We have actually managed to achieve a great deal of productivity despite people working remotely but I've expended a lot more energy investing in motivating my team and having individual meetings. It's definitely easier to train someone in the office. It was definitely easier to have down time in the office.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top