Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 06:38 AM

Re: When Did You First.....

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I suppose I was first introduced to computers when my son had one in the late 80s/90s. I was fascinated by what he could do with it and used to sit with him watching him operating the keyboard.

I had my first computer as a gift from Mr Mags and my son, I was completely shocked by it as I thought there was no way I would be confident to use it on the own. My son spent a lot of time showing me how to use it and I remember how chuffed I was when I sent my first tester email to him and received an email back from him congratulating me!

In October 2003 I joined my first forum which was a cat forum, run by Azz. Since then I haven't looked back and learnt so much more.

Now I wouldn't be without my Mac, my best friend!
Gosh you have been on forums for a long time, Mags! Emails fascinated me (having only previously used letters) and the fact that someone across the world could receive one and respond within the day!
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 06:42 AM

I have been online since the mid-90s. Started using it for email exchange and posting to newsgroups on the Usenet with a modem. Got my first PC in 1990 using MS-DOS. It was more fun in 1993 when I bought a Windows 3.1 PC. The breakthrough for me was in 1995 with a multi-media Windows 95 PC and an internet hook-up. My first email provider was GMX and still is. I still remember the hassle of using either Word, Lotus, Wordstar, or Wordperfect and the incompatibility of more complex files produced with each of them.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Oh yes, Word and Excel were around then, as were others, like Lotus 1 2 3.
You wonder (well, I wonder) how these programs were invented in the first place....I mean the formula's needed for calculations. Even coding itself interests me - kids get taught it at school these days, but it just looks gobbledegook to me!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

28-04-2021, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
2006, late OH got the home PC, at first I was terrified of it, wouldn't go near it, then I was watching Springwatch on TV in 2007 & they mentioned the BBC had a message board, or rather a series of them, with lots of pages to go on. I managed to find it on line, not having a clue what I was doing & joined the Springwatch board, then several others. The people on the BBC boards were very helpful & taught me a lot, sadly the BEEB in their wisdom decided to close all their internet message boards & people on them decided to start their own forums, I joined several of those & the rest is history.
That's lovely Tiff, and good for the clever folk who started their own forums....must have been a big deal back then I think.

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I loved CB radio, I had lots of trucker friends & others. The CB was bought for my Son, but I think I used it more than he did.
Oh I had a CB when I was younger and living out in the country...all I ever spoke to were people from school, when what I really wanted was a huge aerial in the garden so I could chat to people from all over the world! It was fun
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

28-04-2021, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Around 2001
Did you take to it well, Bratti?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

28-04-2021, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
My first computer was based on the Z80 Chip which I bought in 1980 it was followed by a Commodore C64 which I had for many years and which I first bought a modem for. It was a 300baud baud modem made in Perth - I thought it was magic - 300baud was about the same speed as you could read text.

By 1990 I had a 386 IBM type machine and ran a Dos based Bulletin Board Service (BBS) for 10 years. It had a 64Mb HDD and when I went to the local dealer to buy another 64Mb HDD he said, "What on earth do you need that much space for?"

Not the internet still it just used the phone network. Over the years the modem speeds increased dramatically, I ended up with a US Robotics High Speed modem, I forget its maximum speed but it seemed blindingly fast at the time, my BBS had two phone lines and It finished in 2000 when the millennium bug and the internet finally killed it.

I used the Internet for some years before that using DOS programs such as Netscape to explore with. I ran DESQview on the computer to make a true multitasking computer divided into several 640Kb computers - remember that limitation?
That sounds so cool, Bruce! Yes I remember the storage space being so vast in the early days! Kb, gosh its a blip nowadays! When I transferred music to a music player the first time, it could hold about 100 songs and I was amazed! (Having previously hauled around a CD player with accompanying array of CD's). Then I read a scifi short story where the character had this weird contraption on which she could read a screen like a book, and flick the screen as if she was turning the pages. I was horrified at such an idea and hoped it would never be invented....ah well....!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

28-04-2021, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
I have been online since the mid-90s. Started using it for email exchange and posting to newsgroups on the Usenet with a modem. Got my first PC in 1990 using MS-DOS. It was more fun in 1993 when I bought a Windows 3.1 PC. The breakthrough for me was in 1995 with a multi-media Windows 95 PC and an internet hook-up. My first email provider was GMX and still is. I still remember the hassle of using either Word, Lotus, Wordstar, or Wordperfect and the incompatibility of more complex files produced with each of them.
Dachs, it seems that Lotus has been around forever too! GMX as an email provider? Never heard of them, but its brilliant that they are still going after all this time.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 08:24 AM

It was in 1983 that I got started. Before Excel and Lotus 123 there was VisiCalc and Multiplan.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

28-04-2021, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
It was in 1983 that I got started. Before Excel and Lotus 123 there was VisiCalc and Multiplan.
1983, Mr Magoo?? Good grief I don't think I had even used an electric typewriter by that time! I would love to know what computers were like back then....were they easy to use?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
That's lovely Tiff, and good for the clever folk who started their own forums....must have been a big deal back then I think.

Oh I had a CB when I was younger and living out in the country...all I ever spoke to were people from school, when what I really wanted was a huge aerial in the garden so I could chat to people from all over the world! It was fun
We had one of those aerials on the roof, it wasn't strong enough to get abroad but I got to chat to fairly local people.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top