Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 10:02 AM

Re: Pensioners Are A Drain on Society

Post 7: the one thing was was pretty much ignored (mentioned but not developed upon) was that today's pensioners paid for the education and healthcare that youngsters, who are now earning, had the privilege to have provided for them. Hasn't it always been that both generations helped the other: one at the beginning of their lives and the other towards the end of theirs? Wasn't the whole point of a stated retirement age in order to free up jobs for others and those in retirement would be looked after?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yet another little Fascist - seems the Tory Party are infested with them.
It was under Labour that the EU complained about British pensioners being amongst the poorest in Europe.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

29-04-2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->

I doubt if this one will get very far with this message.
It already is underway - the age of retirement has been put forward but employers don't/won't want to employ people over the age of 50 (not a new thing, this has been going on for years and neither government has done anything about age discrimination) so what do they expect older people to do? Commit mass suicide so no-one is a burden on society anymore?

we are all in this together - float or sink!
That reminds me of the game Shipwreck.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
It was under Labour that the EU complained about British pensioners being amongst the poorest in Europe.

Wrong yet again Karen darlin' - there was reference to it shortly after we joined the EEC in 1971 and that, if you remember was under the Tory Government of Ted Heath.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 11:37 AM

I didn't see the programme, but I can see how some younger people (through ignorance) come to think that pensioners are a drain on society, particularly in times of austerity when not as much money is being put into the communal pot.
The pensioners of today took care of the upcoming generations, paid taxes and ensured the younger generation's education, health, etc. They also paid for the o.a.pensioners (their parents) in their generation. There were plenty of adults working in our generation to be able to do it. Now things are different, there are many pensioners (baby boom and people living longer) and not as many people able to pay the taxes - less money in the current pot to meet the obligations, so the young get angry and do not acknowledge that they owe the o.a.p's anything.
That's the trouble with the system. Nothing is saved for, or planned for in advance of being needed by the country's people/ government. Money has to be found to pay for everything out of current revenues. When there is not enough going in then people start to squabble and fight over what is available. If it were possible (and I know it is not) I think it would have been a good idea if a pot of money could have been built up and invested wisely, a generation or two in advance of being required. Then it would be there and available when needed and it would not be necessary to look to the current generation's taxes to provide for the elderly.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 12:30 PM

I think this is just an attempt by politicians and the current intellectual elite, to divide and rule the population. I have noticed in the Guardian over recent months a number of articles complaining about the amount of resources we "baby boomers" consume at the expense of today's young people. If we pensioners used our votes as a bloc, we could really give them something to worry about!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I think this is just an attempt by politicians and the current intellectual elite, to divide and rule the population. I have noticed in the Guardian over recent months a number of articles complaining about the amount of resources we "baby boomers" consume at the expense of today's young people. If we pensioners used our votes as a bloc, we could really give them something to worry about!

Providing the unenlightened Pensioners don't go and vote for the Tories and let those buggers ruin it yet again Mick matey.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 01:17 PM

I was talking to someone in their seventies, they were complaining that one of their relations had to pay for their care in a nursing home and others there were getting it free. I pointed out that whenever I spoke to an older person when I was young, they said they were investing in property/saving for their old age. The person then said they were going to spend all their money (a substantial amount) so they could also get free care. I asked what on and they didn't know, not having many years left to do many exciting things, or the energy! They said they'd probably leave it to their kids. To which I replied, "Is that the ones who either haven't got the time or don't want to look after you themselves and will put you in the home?" This is the kind of attitude that angers me most!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 01:27 PM

Agree with you Twiz !
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 03:23 PM

Karen don't give up your volunteering, if you do that you will give these B######s the excuse to shut it completely.
I volunteer to help the sick in recovery after major, illnesses or operations, I do 4 days a week, if I stopped and others like me they would close them for good for sure.
I know you don't get any thanks, but I am sure whoever you do it for are very grateful.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top