Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 05:10 PM

Re: What has happened to word ?

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Correct. With Win 7 the user has the simple ability to totally disable ALL windows updates.
Great. I have an old W7 laptop.
Unfortunately, the battery doesn't hold a charge any more and several of the keys don't work!

If only I could remove W10 and load W7 on my new laptop.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Great. I have an old W7 laptop.
Unfortunately, the battery doesn't hold a charge any more and several of the keys don't work!

If only I could remove W10 and load W7 on my new laptop.

JBR you can order a new battery for the W7 laptop no problem.

I tend to use

www.duracelldirect.co.uk

Just search for your machine. Well worth doing.

My laptop also had some keys not working and the connection to the screen was also broken meanng it would only display at certain angles. In the end I went onto Amazon, searched for my specific laptop model (which is of course no longer made). I found 3 matches for 2nd hand machines so I ordered one which arrived without delay.

I opened it up, removed the hard disk, motherboard etc and put the ones from my old laptop into it. Sweet as a nut.
Worked straight away.

Remember you HAVE to keep the motherboard with your version of Windows as the 2 are tied together. You can't just swap the hard disks.

Really wasn't difficult at all, just took it slow and steady and put all the screws neatly to one side.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
JBR you can order a new battery for the W7 laptop no problem.

I tend to use

www.duracelldirect.co.uk

Just search for your machine. Well worth doing.

My laptop also had some keys not working and the connection to the screen was also broken meanng it would only display at certain angles. In the end I went onto Amazon, searched for my specific laptop model (which is of course no longer made). I found 3 matches for 2nd hand machines so I ordered one which arrived without delay.

I opened it up, removed the hard disk, motherboard etc and put the ones from my old laptop into it. Sweet as a nut.
Worked straight away.

Remember you HAVE to keep the motherboard with your version of Windows as the 2 are tied together. You can't just swap the hard disks.

Really wasn't difficult at all, just took it slow and steady and put all the screws neatly to one side.
That's a thought! Thank you.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 07:51 PM

I have had a terrible day .
Endless trying to get in touch with Microsoft ( it always rejects my password for a start .eventually they say they have no record of my Microsoft Office licence,
Go to local PCworld and ask them to try and find it.
They admit they sold me one , it’s on the store receipt -( at anther branch as they didn’t have the model of computer in stock) a one time life time licence but they can’t find the record . The branch where I got the computer is thirty five miles away -they set it up for me too)
They think the person who set it up may have put in the wrong email .
They give me tel no of branch - I call it forever they never pick up.
Meanwhile me who never throws anything away can’t find the box it canme in or the receipts or the card for microsift OFFICE licence .
I NEVER throw out receipts or boxes so where is it ?
Am exhausted with all this .
Tomorrow will look again and if necessary go to the other branch ( but pc world tells me due to data protection they don’t keep records of customer details anymore .
What a mess I hate all this .
My day is ruined and I have achieved nothing but frustrations .
In five days they say my word documents may be deleted .
This will be a disaster .
I hate technology
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Yes, you can do that LD. When you install Linux Mint, it offers to set up a dual-boot system. After this is set up and when the computer is switched on, the option is given to boot either into Windows or Linux.

Thanks Mart
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-01-2020, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Endless trying to get in touch with Microsoft ( it always rejects my password for a start .eventually they say they have no record of my Microsoft Office licence,
They admit they sold me one , it’s on the store receipt -( at anther branch as they didn’t have the model of computer in stock) a one time life time licence but they can’t find the record . The branch where I got the computer is thirty five miles away -they set it up for me too)
Meanwhile me who never throws anything away can’t find the box it canme in or the receipts or the card for microsift OFFICE licence .
Tomorrow will look again and if necessary go to the other branch ( but pc world tells me due to data protection they don’t keep records of customer details anymore .
I hate technology
Your first mistake:

You bought it from PCWorld!

Sorry. I know that's no help.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 09:02 PM

I hate technology
Where are the files stored? On the computer, on OneDrive or both?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-01-2020, 09:13 PM

I hate technology
I'm afraid I missed that bit.

I find that disgusting.

Even the almighty Microsoft has no right to delete your files.

Of course, the PCWorld 'experts' may be talking out of their a***s.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Where are the files stored? On the computer, on OneDrive or both?

On the computer .
What is Onedrive ?

I have backed them up to a memory stick .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-01-2020, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm afraid I missed that bit.

I find that disgusting.

Even the almighty Microsoft has no right to delete your files.
Microsoft didn’t say deleted ( that’s was what pc world said ) MS said they may be disabled or difficult to access ..

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top