Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 10:34 AM

Minimum Pricing for Alcohol in Wales Coming Into Effect Next Week!!!!

Oh Dear, HWMO has just returned with the papers and was speaking to the proprietor of the newsagents. He has 3 shops, 2 in Shropshire and 1 in North Wales.

He was telling HWMO that minimum pricing for Alcohol comes into effect in Wales next week. He had a real smile on his face because of the mark up he is going to be making.
Apparently a 2litre bottle of Cider that he sells for £3.99 in his English shops will now cost around £10 in Wales which is just 8 miles away. Minimum 50p per unit.

How on earth is myTesco going to manage with this increase?. The online shopping warehouse is in Wales so when people put their orders in, anyone living in Wales will be charged three times more for their vino’s and beers than I do when I order my bottle of vino. There are going to be a lot of unhappy bunnies in that part of the Union now they have joined Scotland!

Two down, two to go…..
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 11:14 AM

Re: Minimum Pricing for Alcohol in Wales Coming Into Effect Next Week!!!!

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Oh Dear, HWMO has just returned with the papers and was speaking to the proprietor of the newsagents. He has 3 shops, 2 in Shropshire and 1 in North Wales.

He was telling HWMO that minimum pricing for Alcohol comes into effect in Wales next week. He had a real smile on his face because of the mark up he is going to be making.
Apparently a 2litre bottle of Cider that he sells for £3.99 in his English shops will now cost around £10 in Wales which is just 8 miles away. Minimum 50p per unit.

How on earth is myTesco going to manage with this increase?. The online shopping warehouse is in Wales so when people put their orders in, anyone living in Wales will be charged three times more for their vino’s and beers than I do when I order my bottle of vino. There are going to be a lot of unhappy bunnies in that part of the Union now they have joined Scotland!

Two down, two to go…..
Hi

Get used to it.

Brexit means the end of the Cheap Booze runs.

You will no longer be able to import cheap booze or fags from the EU, you will be limited to the basic Duty Free Allowance, which is minimal.

Two hundred Cigarettes , a few bottles of wine and one bottle of spirits.

Guy smokes, we will have four years supply of Cigarettes for him at £2.30 a packet, 1400 bottles of wine at less than £3 a bottle and 600 Bottles of Vodka at less than £4 a bottle before we leave at the end of this year.

All perfectly legal.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 11:25 AM

Wasn't it the regional governments themselves that decided on this? It appears so, from what I read, so I can't see the problem. I hope England follows suit, to be honest, though I think it was rejected a few years ago? It might clear the local town centre of the drunks who hang around drinking in public for most of the day.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Get used to it.

You will no longer be able to import cheap booze or fags from the EU, you will be limited to the basic Duty Free Allowance, which is minimal.

Guy smokes, we will have four years supply of Cigarettes for him at £2.30 a packet, 1400 bottles of wine at less than £3 a bottle and 600 Bottles of Vodka at less than £4 a bottle before we leave at the end of this year.

All perfectly legal.

Sorry Swim, but I think that's crazy hoarding, and with Guy's health problems already, that doesn't sound very wise to me.
Quite frankly, I would worry about my son if he wanted to drink and smoke himself to an early death on that scale, and who wants 4 yr old stale tobacco?

Where do you even store 2,000 bottles of booze, are you renting a warehouse?

Each to their own I know. But if I had money to spare it sure wouldn't be invested on 4 yrs fags and 2000 bottles of booze.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Get used to it.

All perfectly legal.
My goodness, Swimmy! that is a lot to store.

I remember when we as a family used to take two trips a year over to Calais in the 90's for our duty-free goods for our fortnightly BBQ's in Summer and then for Christmas and New Year. There would usually be two carloads of us and we would drive to Dover, pay extra to go over 1st class which was only a few pounds more for each person (I think it was about £5 extra per person each way)but well worth it as treated like royalty, pop to the hypermarket in Calais, stock up on our allowance of beers, wines and spirits, along with delicious cheeses and Pate's etc, then finally stop at a restaurant for a lovely meal before heading for the rather long journey home.

As the government are now saying Duty-Free will be returning after Brexit Dec 31st, We may yet again start doing our twice-yearly trips, though not sure if this decrepid body is capable of such a long journey 21 years later.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top