Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 10:42 AM

Supermarket scam.

Morrisons wanted to charge me 25p for a carrier bag yesterday!! I asked if they had any 5p cheap ones and was told they only had the reusable ones at 25p. Well I have plenty of reusable ones at home - I just forgot to bring one with me.

I think the carrier bag situation in supermarkets is a disgrace.. Sainsburys have done away with plastic bags to put fruit etc in - they force you to buy a reusable one at 30p each.

I do not succum. I just put all the fruit loose in the trolley and find a paper mushroom bag for brussel sprouts etc..

Supermarkes pretend to care about the planet but it's just to make more profit out of us. If they really cared they would just give us paper bags at no charge!!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 10:53 AM

Re: Supermarket scam.

Originally Posted by carol ->
Morrisons wanted to charge me 25p for a carrier bag yesterday!! I asked if they had any 5p cheap ones and was told they only had the reusable ones at 25p. Well I have plenty of reusable ones at home - I just forgot to bring one with me.

I think the carrier bag situation in supermarkets is a disgrace.. Sainsburys have done away with plastic bags to put fruit etc in - they force you to buy a reusable one at 30p each.

I do not succumb. I just put all the fruit loose in the trolley and find a paper mushroom bag for Brussels sprouts etc..

Supermarkets pretend to care about the planet but it's just to make more profit out of us. If they really cared they would just give us paper bags at no charge!!
As shops used to before there were supermarkets! In those days a reasonable profit was satisfactory for shopkeepers, nowadays the idea is for supermarkets to get as many customers as possible and make as much profit as possible!

It's called 'greed' and is what this world has come to, it will eventually be the downfall of everything because there is no end to it IMO.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 10:58 AM

I always take my own bags as I dont want to pollute the planet with more plastic waste

You should do the same and stop moaning.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I always take my own bags as I dont want to pollute the planet with more plastic waste

You should do the same and stop moaning.

I usually do but this time I forgot as I was returning from a hospital appointment & suddenly remembered few things I needed.

I do however make good use of the plastic bags by lining my rubbish bin with them before disposing it and it's contents in the dustbin.

Don't you use plastic bin liners then galty?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 12:37 PM

I'd probably have paid the 25p without feeling conned in that one-off situation. Not much help now but there are some thin cloth bags that fold up to be very compact. Mrs mart keeps a couple of those in her handbag for putting shopping in when we don't have the reusable supermarket bags with us.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

29-02-2020, 12:40 PM

it's the principle of the thing really.

Many retailers now give paper bags at no charge. Supermarkets should follow suite..
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I'd probably have paid the 25p without feeling conned in that one-off situation. Not much help now but there are some thin cloth bags that fold up to be very compact. Mrs mart keeps a couple of those in her handbag for putting shopping in when we don't have the reusable supermarket bags with us.
I have 4 of those folding into a small bag shoppers in my bag, in case I forget a big bag. They are very handy.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 01:02 PM

I found the same situation in Sainsburys the other day when buying some loose baking potatoes. They have these 30pm drawstring bags they think people will buy to put veg in and then carry that around next time they shop. Who is going to do that?

So I went to the bakery section and put them in one of the paper bags. If they want to encourage loose fruit veg purchases they should just provide paper bags like the greengrocers instead as they are biodegradable. It's all about money though.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 01:18 PM

I used to always be forgetting my bags when this first started. Now I keep them in the boot of the car, when I get home I bung the messages away and return the bags to the car boot. It took a while to get into the habit but now it's just part of the shopping.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

It's called 'greed' and is what this world has come to,
You may call it that but businesses have to make a profit otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top