Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 06:10 PM

Back to how we were?

Now we are out of the clutches of the EU would you like to see us go all the way and go back to Pounds Shillings and Pence, Gallons, Quarts and Pints, Yards feet and Inches. Pounds, Ounces and grams.
Maybe many of you are too young to remember them but I for one would welcome them back.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 06:15 PM

Re: Back to how we were?

Ben the decision to change to decimal was nothing to do with the EU. It was decided in the 60s. I was brought up on decimal at school but have adopted imperial and find it easier. What was confusing as a child was having two systems. One that we were taught and one that adults used. I cannot see anyone going back because metric is more precise and is used in industry and engineering etc. As we import quite a bit we would have no choice anyhow.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 06:18 PM

I remember guinea and farthing.
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 06:31 PM

I still think in Imperial - apart from Centigrade curiously.

Inches feet and yards, gallons, ounces and pounds.

My motorcycle is cubic inches (American!) and feeler gauges are thou.

And without thinking about it 2/3 of a pound is 13/4d.

I must be a dinosaur!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Now we are out of the clutches of the EU would you like to see us go all the way and go back to Pounds Shillings and Pence, Gallons, Quarts and Pints, Yards feet and Inches. Pounds, Ounces and grams.
Maybe many of you are too young to remember them but I for one would welcome them back.
Not I. I was brought up with Imperial measures, then CGS, MKS and finally, SI units what many incorrectly call metric.
Yes, I know how many yards and inches there are in a mile, how many pounds there are in a ton. But SI is just so much simpler, especially in the engineering field. Fewer units, simpler ratios.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
I remember guinea and farthing.
Now you've reminded me I remember those too. Also threepenny bits, silver sixpences and half crowns. I have some of these somewhere. Must be getting ancient!

As for going back to the old measurements and weights, I find it easier to use these but it would never work in the world we are now in.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 07:13 PM

That's a good question Ben. As glad as I am to be out of the EU, I don't think I would like to go back to pounds, shillings and pence. A currency divisible by ten is much easier to work out (for me at least). As for measurements, I'm quite happy using a combination of metric and imperial.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 07:46 PM

The saying woman should keep their hands on their halfpennies has gone into the history books. I still use imperial measures. Still use12inches as a rule
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 07:55 PM

Yes, I suppose you are right. After all today,s generation are brought up metric. Strangely though there are places where the old imperial measures are still used. Not far from here is a low bridge. Before you get to the bridge there is a sign saying LOW BRIDGE 14ft 3in; but on the bridge it says LOW BRIDGE 4.3 Metres.
Sign posts still measures distances in miles. Even some of the 'new' ones.
I still 'live' in the world of what we call 'Old Money'
When I come across something marked as so many kilograms I think "Now what is that in Old Money".
Old Fashioned?? Yes I am and that's the way I will stay.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I still use imperial measures. Still use12inches as a rule
Now you've put your foot in it.
Slightly more seriously, I can do most of the conversions mentally. I know what a foot, yard, and metre look like. If I get weighed at the hospital that is done in kg. Similarly when my dog goes to the vet. I can tell people that he is now 38kg but get a blank look. OK, he is about 84 lbs. Say six stone. Then they get it. Big dog.

But I'm an electrical engineer. Everything is SI.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top