Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2020, 10:51 AM

Re: Back to how we were?

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Are you saying those of us within reach of a century should not be a member of this forum?

You are a great poster Ben. Even if you were 135, you would still be 'over fifty'.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2020, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Absolutely, and when it comes to long distances it is miles for me. The same applies to speed and distance signs. I think they will probably be the last to go metric, if ever.

Weight? Well, when you buy most products they seem to come in g and kg but fortunately I don't buy a great deal by weight. Marge's compost, for example, is really more to do with the apparent size of the bag and when I have bought a bag of sweets I have asked for a 'quarter' (of a pound) and the shopkeepers seem to understand.

Capacity? I still ask for a pint and I have yet to see any pub which sells beer in litres. On the other hand, a bottle of beer is often 330ml and, I assume, looks like a little more than a half-pint. I suppose it is all about what you're used to.

Strangely, when it comes to length measurement, I always think of feet and yards when it is something around room size or more, including road distances as above.
However, when I want an accurate measurement of smaller lengths, I find cm and mm much easier. Eighths, tenths and sixteenths of an inch become far too confusing!
I agree with all that JBR.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

04-03-2020, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
My speedo doesn't have irrelevant nonsense on it just Kph - makes it far less cluttered and easier to read. Why on earth you have both is beyond me.
I suppose thinking about it logically, it's because we can easily take our cars over to Europe where we would need to use Kph whereas the cars in Australia generally stay in Australia.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2020, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What's a Pooka?

Is is worse than a Leprechaun?
Oh Yes!

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top