Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 09:53 PM

OK - here's today's poser!

Reading the 'back to how we were' thread reminded me of this :-

Litres are liquid measures - Yes?
Kilo's are dry measures - Yes?

Why then are the sacks of Cat Litter I have just bought labelled 30 litres?

Why are sacks of potting compost labelled in litres?

How can a litre be used as both a liquid and a dry measure?

It is not logical - not to me anyway!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 10:05 PM

Re: OK - here's today's poser!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

I've always wondered that too, Tabs...
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 10:23 PM

It has something to do with the bowls/tub that is being used. Many bowls tubs both large and small can not only be used for dry measures but also liquids. The problem is dry measures can be different in weight therefore it is difficult for the manufacturer to put a price on the bowl/tub based on weight. For example, if someone bought a tub with the intention of filling it with coco pops cereal, it is going to weight differently to that of someone wanting to put their rock collection in it.

This is where litres comes in. Because a plastic or glass tub/bowl can be used for liquids, it does not matter what the liquid weighs, the volume of the liquid will always be the same. Hence why bowls/tubs that can be used for liquids as well as dry measures will have it's dimensions calculated to find out what is the safe level of 'volume' the bowl/tub can take.

This is why you will find cat litter boxes are always marked as 'volume' and the same is with garden's. You cannot weigh a garden but you can measure the 'volume' the garden takes up just by using mathematics Height x Length x Width (Depth). Once you have those dimensions you can work out the volume and thus know how many litres of potting compost to use. Same principle applies to litter boxes.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
It has something to do with the bowls/tub that is being used. Many bowls tubs both large and small can not only be used for dry measures but also liquids. The problem is dry measures can be different in weight therefore it is difficult for the manufacturer to put a price on the bowl/tub based on weight. For example, if someone bought a tub with the intention of filling it with coco pops cereal, it is going to weight differently to that of someone wanting to put their rock collection in it.

This is where litres comes in. Because a plastic or glass tub/bowl can be used for liquids, it does not matter what the liquid weighs, the volume of the liquid will always be the same. Hence why bowls/tubs that can be used for liquids as well as dry measures will have it's dimensions calculated to find out what is the safe level of 'volume' the bowl/tub can take.

This is why you will find cat litter boxes are always marked as 'volume' and the same is with garden's. You cannot weigh a garden but you can measure the 'volume' the garden takes up just by using mathematics Height x Length x Width (Depth). Once you have those dimensions you can work out the volume and thus know how many litres of potting compost to use. Same principle applies to litter boxes.

You’re professor Brian cox..and I claim my £5...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 10:57 PM

Thanks Dodge, that makes a lot of sense now.....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 07:24 AM

Good explanation!

And there is no reason why fluids can't be measured by weight. All the boilers I worked on were rated in tonnes/hour (of steam)
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 08:14 AM

A litre is not a measure of liquid per se, but actually a measure of volume, hence the use of the measure elsewhere.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 08:18 AM

Thank you, Dodge, for such a clear explanation - it is something that has puzzled me for while. I can understand it now.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

02-03-2020, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
A litre is not a measure of liquid per se, but actually a measure of volume, hence the use of the measure elsewhere.
I had not appreciated that, Barry.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

A litre is a volume, dry or wet. That help?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top