Join for free
Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2015, 12:34 PM

Re: Wildlife you have seen 2015.

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Managed a day out yesterday at a local reserve, still cold but saw quite a few firsts for the year/. A hunting weasel was a nice sight, feisty little predator, along with a Red Deer, looking a bit bedraggled with damage to its coat and blood on antlers.

First singing warblers back at last, Blackcap and Willow warbler, with Water Rail, Common tern, Sandmartin and Swallow.

And a return of one our rare and Schedule 1 breeding birds, Black-necked grebe.
Well captured, Nom
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 10:07 AM

I saw a buzzard this morning , It was on the branch of a tree above me in the lane so I was really close. It looked huge when it took off, I have never been so close to one in the wild before .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 10:16 AM

Nice Meg, it was only about 40 years ago we still had to go to Scotland to see one, as the had disappeared from Northumberland, thankfully i see them within a couple of miles of my home these days, and visits up to Kielder forest would see 20 + in the air during breeding season displays.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Nice Meg, it was only about 40 years ago we still had to go to Scotland to see one, as the had disappeared from Northumberland, thankfully i see them within a couple of miles of my home these days, and visits up to Kielder forest would see 20 + in the air during breeding season displays.
There seem to be a number around here Nom one pair nest in the trees in the church yard and the chicks make a lot of noise
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 12:42 PM

I have a terrific video clip of a buzzard in Africa - so majestic as he strutted around - makes me smile every time I see him
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 03:19 PM

Here's a strange thing from a couple of weeks ago

It was a pleasant afternoon and we were sitting in the gardn when suddenly a starling appeared, flew fast and low over the garden and jettisoned something from a height of about a foot, before entering a steep climb, avoiding the cat who was about to pounce and flew off and out of sight.

When we recovered from our surprise we went to see what had been left and found it was a sad, scrawny, pretty much naked, very dead fledgeling.

I haven't see anything like that before but I suppose the parent was just getting rid of the body from the nest, for the benefit of all??
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

21-06-2015, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Here's a strange thing from a couple of weeks ago

It was a pleasant afternoon and we were sitting in the gardn when suddenly a starling appeared, flew fast and low over the garden and jettisoned something from a height of about a foot, before entering a steep climb, avoiding the cat who was about to pounce and flew off and out of sight.

When we recovered from our surprise we went to see what had been left and found it was a sad, scrawny, pretty much naked, very dead fledgeling.

I haven't see anything like that before but I suppose the parent was just getting rid of the body from the nest, for the benefit of all??
Hi DM was it a fledgling starling. I believe starlings will eat various things including carrion so could the bird have been intending to eat it before it was dropped.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 03:48 PM

On, that might be the case. Mr DM did the tidying and I just accepted his opinion that it was a baby starling. However, he's not the world's best naturalist, so it might have been the bird's intended supper. The dropping appeared deliberate though, from a very low height.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 07:14 AM

Managed a wander to my local nature reserve open day to the general public. First time out since i became ill in May.

Saw some interesting moths trapped by the warden, Garden Tiger being exceptionally beautiful.

Link to UK Moths. http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=2057
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 08:51 AM

[QUOTE=Nom;676393]Managed a wander to my local nature reserve open day to the general public. First time out since i became ill in May.

Saw some interesting moths trapped by the warden, Garden Tiger being exceptionally beautiful.

Link to UK Moths. http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=2057[/QUOTE]

Well done you. It was a beautiful day too, so bet that cheered you up no end.

Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top