Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2020, 09:02 PM

Re: Netflix V Prime Video

Originally Posted by Judd ->
If you have a Firestick or an Echo device, you can search for things by voice. A damned sight easier than using the screen-based search keyboard.
With my accent I doubt if any Firestick or Echo device would understand a word I said Judd. English is pretty much my second language.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2020, 09:42 PM

It understands my Yorkshire accent well enough.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2020, 09:51 PM

Interesting thread.

We pay for Prime, primarily because of the free delivery from Amazon which we paid for long before we got our Fire Stick, so the Prime videos and films was a bonus. To be honest, we are quite happy with Prime and have been watching some very good films and series. 'Outlander', of course, seems to be very popular and when Marge isn't around I have been watching things like '100 Years War' (Crecy, Poitiers and Agincourt), an excellent documentary about how we whopped the Frogs!

We have thought about paying for Netflix as well, as the combined price of both Prime and Netflix is less than the TV licence, so why not. We used to pay for that for many years anyway. Before jumping in, though, and having heard on this thread that they don't do a free trial period any more, I think we might just have a look at what's on offer first. Some on here think the content is worse than Prime, so we'll think about it for now.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 05:09 AM

If you have a Firestick or an Echo device, you can search for things by voice. A damned sight easier than using the screen-based search keyboard.
I think you will find most Android TVs have voice searching or just about any function such as telling it which channel to select. My Sony certainly does though I don't use it much to be honest but if your phone can do it so can your TV (except make phone calls I guess).

Voice recognition is amazingly good to the point of being a bit scarey
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Interesting thread.

We pay for Prime, primarily because of the free delivery from Amazon which we paid for long before we got our Fire Stick, so the Prime videos and films was a bonus. To be honest, we are quite happy with Prime and have been watching some very good films and series. 'Outlander', of course, seems to be very popular and when Marge isn't around I have been watching things like '100 Years War' (Crecy, Poitiers and Agincourt), an excellent documentary about how we whopped the Frogs!

We have thought about paying for Netflix as well, as the combined price of both Prime and Netflix is less than the TV licence, so why not. We used to pay for that for many years anyway. Before jumping in, though, and having heard on this thread that they don't do a free trial period any more, I think we might just have a look at what's on offer first. Some on here think the content is worse than Prime, so we'll think about it for now.
I think what I read about Netflix is they are introducing half price subs for a short while. If I can find the computer magazine that I’m sure I read it in, I will post again.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 09:14 AM

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ch-For-Free-UK

More explanation here.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 01:09 PM

The telly can do that.
But I've a decent keyboard which works far, far better IMHO.

I find voice searches (just as with Amazon devices & we've one of those in most rooms) can be ........... variable in their interpretation of what is being said.
My son has never forgiven the Amazon Show in the lounge for playing a Michael Buble song when he really wanted a weather forecast!
I have never heard him yell "Alexa! Home"" so vehemently.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 01:12 PM

I have a Roku which lets you use voice search on the remote but to be honest, I never think of using it.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 03:24 PM

Sky currently include Netflix for new subscribers but i you're an existing customer you'll have to ask for it which may mean starting a new contract period. It will probably also be cheaper as they currently offer Sky TV + Netflix for £25/month but don't reduce the cost for existing customers. You will also get a nice new SkyQ box which sky retains ownership of so you don't have to pay for engineer visits if it goes on the blink.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top