Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 09:16 PM

Re: When I grow up, I want to be a...

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Joking apart I wanted to be a car mechanic but left school too early to get any qualification. The Motor Trade loss not mine.
Learnt a lot doing hands on and worked on so many cars I lost count
I’m sure you still get to fix your own car now and then
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
That’s an awesome job!
When I was little, I had a sit on bus with a steering wheel and I can remember taking the time to park the thing properly between the clothes horse and the radiogram. Of course I had to journey up and down the hall and stop for fares too.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
When I was little, I had a sit on bus with a steering wheel and I can remember taking the time to park the thing properly between the clothes horse and the radiogram. Of course I had to journey up and down the hall and stop for fares too.
What awesome memories. Those were the best days of our lives and we didn’t even know it until much later in life!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 09:23 PM

A scientific glass blower. My father had a friend who used to be just that. When I was five it was pure magic what he could do.

Then a manufacturing jeweler like my dad.

Finally a physicist. Graduated as such but soon "followed the £" and moved into industry.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
I’m sure you still get to fix your own car now and then
no almost impossible now it is completely different with all the electronics in them, you can't even disconnect a battery without possible having to reset something or other. Engine management is now impossible and now down to diagnostics and the right electronic equipment to reset it.
Back in the 1960/70 it was spanner and screwdriver type of thing you could almost repair /replace broken or worn out parts. Taking an engine apart was easy, now you dearn't touch it.
Half the art back then was listening to know if an engine was running properly. You could even put your ear onto a long screwdriver and rest the screwdriver. on the rocker cover to heard for noisy tappets.

Changing a clutch plate only took a very short time, now who knows
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
A tractor driver. Ferguson.
My father had a petrol/paraffin Ferguson on his small croft in the fifties,
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
My father had a petrol/paraffin Ferguson on his small croft in the fifties,
Yes, for me too. Those days..........but then I became an electrical engineer. Sort of follow on................
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 09:49 PM

The only thing I remember wanting to be was a nurse, I never followed it through into adulthood though just going through life in office jobs until I reached my 50s then I went into the next best thing, care work.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 10:41 PM

A lumberjack! ..No, a Policeman.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 10:45 PM

I wanted to work with horses & I did, most of my life.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top