Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 10:48 AM

Re: When I grow up, I want to be a...

Well you will probably think i'm a bit sick, but I have always wanted a job as an Funeral Embalmer or in the Morgue, but my Parents wouldn't let me. I am still very interested in it.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 11:17 AM

I was spoiled for choice as a youngster as my paternal grandparents ran a pub and also co-owned a pawnbroker/jewellery manufacturer/supplier with grandfather's sister. Whilst becoming interested in jewellery making I became acquainted with a regular customer, a building surveyor. Guess what I left full time education to become? Yes, you've guessed it, a surveyor and then by progressing through the various stages (via Uni etc), I became a civil servant with a department attached to historic and MOD buildings of the public estate. I stayed within state service until I retired at 60. Would I change anything if I could? Only my health which forced me to retire by agreement at 60.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Well you will probably think i'm a bit sick, but I have always wanted a job as an Funeral Embalmer or in the Morgue, but my Parents wouldn't let me. I am still very interested in it.
Although it's a dead end job, you would never be out of work
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
A scientific glass blower. My father had a friend who used to be just that. When I was five it was pure magic what he could do.

Then a manufacturing jeweler like my dad.

Finally a physicist. Graduated as such but soon "followed the £" and moved into industry.
What an interesting job! It’s fascinating to watch them create objects out of a blob of heated sand
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
no almost impossible now it is completely different with all the electronics in them, you can't even disconnect a battery without possible having to reset something or other. Engine management is now impossible and now down to diagnostics and the right electronic equipment to reset it.
Back in the 1960/70 it was spanner and screwdriver type of thing you could almost repair /replace broken or worn out parts. Taking an engine apart was easy, now you dearn't touch it.
Half the art back then was listening to know if an engine was running properly. You could even put your ear onto a long screwdriver and rest the screwdriver. on the rocker cover to heard for noisy tappets.

Changing a clutch plate only took a very short time, now who knows
Yes, I agree with you. It’s all computerized
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

11-11-2020, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
The only thing I remember wanting to be was a nurse, I never followed it through into adulthood though just going through life in office jobs until I reached my 50s then I went into the next best thing, care work.
That’s great that you ended up in care work!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

11-11-2020, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
A lumberjack! ..No, a Policeman.
Wow, awesome jobs
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

11-11-2020, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I wanted to work with horses & I did, most of my life.
You’re living the dream
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

11-11-2020, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I wanted to be a coach driver....a Wallace Arnold coach driver...
Sounds exciting
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

11-11-2020, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
To Play in a Symphony Orchestra, did it to a degree.
Absolutely amazing! What instrument do you play?

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top