Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 06:21 PM

Re: Coronavirus & The Smokers?

I only know one person who actually died from Covid and he didn't smoke my Sister in Law has it right now and she has never smoked.... I'm not sure what that proves if anything
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Swimmy, You might be struggling at the moment healthwise but your brain is certainly still on the ball!!
Yes I agree Arty.... and I think Swimmy is like a creaking gate he will go on forever..... well hope so
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I could be wrong, as I'm thinking back to February or March when we were all first alerted to the risks of Covid, but I'm sure it was reported then that ...

smokers were slightly more likely to contract Covid but rather oddly didn't suffer as much. For some strange reason damaged lungs weathered the attack better.... something to do with nicotine offering a modicum of protection.

They would say that Morty... I think they also said if you were vegan or vegetarian you were less likely to catch Covid. Also if you drove an electric car and didn't burn fossil fuels, you were less likely to catch the virus......
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 09:19 PM

If smokers are at less risk or at equal risk of death from virus, I wouldn't expect an announcement anytime soon. The demonisation of the habit and subsequent sky high taxes are just too ingrained. A little thing like the 2020 C19 can't be allowed to interfere with that.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
if smokers are at less risk or at equal risk of death from virus, i wouldn't expect an announcement anytime soon. The demonisation of the habit and subsequent sky high taxes are just too ingrained. A little thing like the 2020 c19 can't be allowed to interfere with that.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 11:32 PM

Interesting thread.

I have given this smoking thing some thought since folks started dying from the new virus, and I did wonder why they never mention smoking when referring to the many deceased, they don’t be long about pointing it out with other deaths, just mention cancer now and the first thing people think of is smoking.

Sadly one of my first cousins and an old school friend died this year from the corona virus, yet neither of them ever smoked, as a matter of fact it was only last Christmas that my female cousin was scolding me for still smoking, rest her kind soul.

It makes sense to my mind that a virus would prefer a nice clean set of lungs to settle down in and raise a family so to speak, and not a rotting pair of nicotine covered lungs.

Wasn’t there something years ago about head lice preferring clean fresh young heads?

Of course even if this nicotine theory was proved they wouldn’t let it be known, as all the work the anti smoking campaign put in would be gone down the drain, then instead of hanging around waiting for the new 100% vaccine everyone would be hanging around smoking their brains out hoping to line their lungs with nicotine as quickly as possible.

Please don’t misunderstand me, I’m all for folks not smoking, it has always been a very expensive habit, even more so now, I’ve probably paid so much in tobacco tax in 60 years to build me own hospital.
I’d give it up myself if I didn’t enjoy it so much, and it hasn’t done me any harm, besides at 75 it’s a bit late now.

The top medical people will only tell us what the government want them to tell us.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2020, 12:26 AM

Smoking alters blood cells, causes the body to produce more red and white blood cells. There are all sorts of changes in the blood as a result of regular heavy smoking. Perhaps it's just not as easy for a virus to multiply if the blood and cells are damaged. Or perhaps the constant state of war in the body makes the immune system stronger because the body already has so much to deal with? A smoker's body is in a constant state of stress.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-11-2020, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Interesting thread.

I have given this smoking thing some thought since folks started dying from the new virus, and I did wonder why they never mention smoking when referring to the many deceased, they don’t be long about pointing it out with other deaths, just mention cancer now and the first thing people think of is smoking.

Sadly one of my first cousins and an old school friend died this year from the corona virus, yet neither of them ever smoked, as a matter of fact it was only last Christmas that my female cousin was scolding me for still smoking, rest her kind soul.

It makes sense to my mind that a virus would prefer a nice clean set of lungs to settle down in and raise a family so to speak, and not a rotting pair of nicotine covered lungs.

Wasn’t there something years ago about head lice preferring clean fresh young heads?

Of course even if this nicotine theory was proved they wouldn’t let it be known, as all the work the anti smoking campaign put in would be gone down the drain, then instead of hanging around waiting for the new 100% vaccine everyone would be hanging around smoking their brains out hoping to line their lungs with nicotine as quickly as possible.

Please don’t misunderstand me, I’m all for folks not smoking, it has always been a very expensive habit, even more so now, I’ve probably paid so much in tobacco tax in 60 years to build me own hospital.
I’d give it up myself if I didn’t enjoy it so much, and it hasn’t done me any harm, besides at 75 it’s a bit late now.

The top medical people will only tell us what the government want them to tell us.
Excellent post Jem (as usual!) and it sounds very logical to me....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-11-2020, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Smoking alters blood cells, causes the body to produce more red and white blood cells. There are all sorts of changes in the blood as a result of regular heavy smoking. Perhaps it's just not as easy for a virus to multiply if the blood and cells are damaged. Or perhaps the constant state of war in the body makes the immune system stronger because the body already has so much to deal with? A smoker's body is in a constant state of stress.

You're not (or ever have been) a smoker then Annie?....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2020, 09:12 AM

I'm so glad I gave up 13 years ago, I suffered recurring chest infections and a bout of bronchitis that prompted me to put my mind to quitting as it floored me and I collapsed very ill.

I dread to think how damaged my lungs would be had I continued puffing the poison,, although I quit all those years ago the damage was done and I'm left with COPD but luckily only early stage and I no longer keep getting chest infections due to quitting.

Best decision ever to choose life instead of a slow painful death.

I cant get my head around why on earth I wanted to put poison in my body and actually paying good money to kill myself, its madness really. Oh well I'll focus on the fact I did my body a huge favour at the strike of 12 midnight 1st January 2007.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top