Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 08:28 AM

Humax HDR issues

My Humax HDR 1010S bought in 2015 has suddenly deleted all my recordings! Also functions for pause, fast forward/back don't work and I have the message "The function does not work while retrieving data for time shift buffer. Try again in a few seconds". I've unplugged the whole TV system and plugged it back in again to reboot the system - which hasn't helped.

Any ideas?
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 02:58 PM

Re: Humax HDR issues

I'm surprised you have not had any replies yet Lindyloo. I am not very clued up on these things but on our Humax box we can do a factory reset.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 05:40 PM

Thanks Scot. I found (purely by chance as I'm not very clued up either) the settings thing and did a factory reset, but nothing changed. I posted on a Humax forum and had a message back this morning that it's likely the hard drive gone. Also spoke to my son - who is very clued up!! - and he's found that the Humax Freesat box has hard drive issues. So.........I'm buying another Freesat recorder but after taking the advice of a TV Engineer, it's not another Humax. Curry's click and collect have promised sometime after 5pm on Saturday!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 05:42 PM

I’d be devastated if my Sky box deleted all my recordings. I was given to understand that Humax are a good brand for these boxes. I will bear that in mind, when I come to buy one for my bedroom (to be connected to Sky dish)
Lindyloo
isle of wight

12-11-2020, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I’d be devastated if my Sky box deleted all my recordings. I was given to understand that Humax are a good brand for these boxes. I will bear that in mind, when I come to buy one for my bedroom (to be connected to Sky dish)
Yes - it's more than annoying. I'd videoed lots of programmes to watch during lockdown and had over 90% of my 1TB full!! You may be interested to know that the TV Engineer I spoke to said that the Humax Boxes for sale on Amazon are reconditioned and that Humax are no longer producing them!

My son suggested also scrap my TV and get a new TV and a Freeview Box............. something to consider for the future I think!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2020, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Yes - it's more than annoying. I'd videoed lots of programmes to watch during lockdown and had over 90% of my 1TB full!! You may be interested to know that the TV Engineer I spoke to said that the Humax Boxes for sale on Amazon are reconditioned and that Humax are no longer producing them!

My son suggested also scrap my TV and get a new TV and a Freeview Box............. something to consider for the future I think!
Yes Humax are known for disc problems, we have a freesat which although little-used nowadays does still see some use by my better half.
Something to do with chateaux?

The point for my post: don't bin it.
It's straighforward to replace the disc & if your son is "clued up" it really isn't a big or expensive job TBH - videos are available on how to do it too.
A suitable 1TB disc can be had for under £40 delivered.

If you haven't taken the plunge yet & ordered another then just replacing the hard drive might be an option.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2020, 11:50 AM

Lindy . I have had two humax boxes. The first lasted 8 months then deleted all my recordings and died . After numerous calls and emails humax sent me a replacement. The replacement is now 14 months old

In the last 5 months it jumps and pixilates and is slow, I've emailed humax and they told me to factory reset which I did ( it didnt delete recordings) but is still jumping and pixilating. I also checked my broadband download speed and that is good . I'm waiting a reply from humax but not heard back.

I will not buy a humax again as I dont feel they last long , but would appreciate if you let me know what you buy and if you would recommend it
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2020, 02:20 PM

We have been using Humax boxes for many years and had very little trouble. One was refurbished from Humax direct. Only complaint they can be a little slow to start up even after we turned off the power saver.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2020, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Lindy . I have had two humax boxes. The first lasted 8 months then deleted all my recordings and died . After numerous calls and emails humax sent me a replacement. The replacement is now 14 months old

In the last 5 months it jumps and pixilates and is slow, I've emailed humax and they told me to factory reset which I did ( it didnt delete recordings) but is still jumping and pixilating. I also checked my broadband download speed and that is good . I'm waiting a reply from humax but not heard back.

I will not buy a humax again as I dont feel they last long , but would appreciate if you let me know what you buy and if you would recommend it
Yes, our Humax Freesat recorder has just died too.
It is 4 or 5 years old though.
OH turned it on because she wanted to record more chateaux stuff and ........ no picture.
It did this before & a soft reset worked, but not this time.
No output via scart or the even older video out either so (from my web trawling) that's it consigned to the Humax graveyard.
It's a common problem with our model, I knew that - after I bought it of course!

There are pages upon pages of posts about Humax faults, but given how many they sold I am hardly surprised.
Though even were I so inclined as to replace it, it wouldn't be with another Humax.

When I bought it I got rid of an excellent Sony combi recorder which had DVD disc and hard disk and that had been trouble-free for years, but OH wanted a Freesat one.

In recent years the Humax got used less & less, so that now there's not really any point replacing it. Everything that would be recorded to it is on catch-up or Youtube anyway.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

13-11-2020, 03:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies. There's more to add to this.......

Last evening I switched on my TV & Freesat just after 9pm and started watching whatever was on. Instinctively I pressed pause (one of the functions which failed to work before) and this time it worked!! After that I tried all the other functions, then looked at my recordings.............all present and correct - 94% storage full!! Absolutely amazed!!

My new plan is to collect the new Freesat from Curry's and keep it unopened unless the Humax fails again within 21 days - which is the limit of Curry's returns policy!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top