Join for free
Page 1626 of 1676 « First < 626 1126 1526 1576 1616 1624 1625 1626 1627 1628 1636 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 09:11 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I have porridge too Jem....well most mornings

Never tried Crispy Nuts
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I have porridge too Jem....well most mornings

Never tried Crispy Nuts
How are you Summer, glad to hear you’re taking your porridge regularly, keeps you in the good form you always appear to be in.
There are a few old ‘Crunchy Nuts’ on here who could do with the odd bowl of porridge to lighten them up.

I have changed my email provider, I’m not very good with computers.

I have just noticed something at the top left hand corner of the email page.

“all. compose. unread. read. reply.”

I understand three of the above, but after you’ve read something how do you manage to unread it?

You have one word, spelt the same, yet it can refer to two different tenses.

Read works two ways, “I have read (red) your message” “I will read (reed) your message tomorrow” I never learned how to reed backwards so I’m baffled.

Try these three, all spelt the same but with three completely different meanings.
Row a boat, a Row broke out at Mulligan’s pub, the samples were laid out in a Row”
Is it any wonder other nations have trouble learning the English language.

Robin Hood is a popular legend, what is a leg end? a foot?, so he was only 12 inches tall?

Forget it I’m in a giddy moon tonight, it’s the port.

summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2020, 09:53 AM

I'm just fine and dandy thank you Jem.....off to make some porridge
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2020, 11:25 PM

“Someone's been eating my porridge” Said Papa Bear.
“It wasn’t me” Cried Goldilocks.

What a weird looking photo. it should carry an over 18 cert just in case any kids see it. “Hereeee's Johnny”!!!, well here’s two Johnnys actually.

Not to be getting political or anything like that, but is there not enough gloom in the World as it is.

I saw this news photo today and showed it to the wife asking her had she ever seen such miserable faces in all her puff, faces that would turn a funeral back in shame.
You’d swear the fella on the right had just buried his Mother, and the other was waiting for the hangman to decorate his neck, imagine inviting this pair to a Christmas party, you wouldn’t have a friend left when it was over.

I had to laugh when she said they would make a lovely pair of bookends for her Stephen King collection of horror books.
Never a dull moment with that woman, God bless her.

Come on now lads, it’s only a job and it’s not as if you’ll be heading for the dole office on Monday morning, give us all a big smile the next time there’s a photographer about.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2020, 11:29 PM

Brilliant Jem!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

14-11-2020, 11:45 PM

Thank you Mags.

Primitive and all that our ancestors were they always feared ‘evil spirits’ lurking everywhere.
They would light fires and torches to ward them off especially on Winter nights, hoping the light would keep them safe, and the firefighter with his bag of tricks was top man, the original ’Sparks’.

Some of these practices live on today at festive times, and this year in particular we’re all doing our best to ward off this evil virus, I love all the Christmas lights in town at this time of year, the more lights the merrier.

I suppose a virus could be compared to an evil spirit as it’s capable of harming and killing people, you can’t see a spirit nor can you see a virus, maybe they weren’t as daft back then as we make them out to be.

Take for instance the angel atop the Christmas tree, we wouldn’t have any idea of what an angel looked like if these primitive people had not associated wings with flying in the sky, as was their way of describing visitors from the heavens, possibly aliens who really knows, to their way of thinking anything that flies must have wings as that was the only way to get airborne back then, barring you got an unmerciful wallop of a club from your wife after coming home drunk, I’ve had quite a few ‘blast off's’ in me day.

Earlier today the girl next door knocked at my door.
I may have mentioned before that she’s from Mauritius as is her husband and their two small children, she had a plateful of gorgeous cakes for Phyllis and me, today is a Hindu holiday, the festival of light I think, I didn’t know that, what a coincidence.
A very nice gesture we thought, they are a lovely family and it’s great to see young children in the area again, the fella who owns the house next door usually only lets it out to students on a yearly basis, this family have a four year contract with him.

I remember when this record was in all the best sellers... attics, basements, sheds, coal holes etc..
Time to dust it down and give the old boy an airing, my God he was only a kid then, terrible what age can do to a person ain’t it.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 11:13 PM

Us and Them, They, no point in a video.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 11:15 PM

They have been here all along, its just a case of subscribing.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

15-11-2020, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
They have been here all along, its just a case of subscribing.
You can say that again.

We were watching an old film on the Horror channel this afternoon, called “The Blob” it was Steve McQueens first leading role in which he plays a 17 year old American teenager.

I turned to the wife and said no way is that fella a teenager, he’s 30 if he’s a day, the rest of the males in his teenage gang were no teenagers either, I mean Hollywood can fool some of us most of the time but not with this film they can’t, hairy auld teenagers.
(you’re right, I’ve nothing better to be doing in this second lockdown)

Phillis said he would be about 20 or 21 in it, I was not satisfied so I looked it up, very handy now with the internet, you can solve disputes out instantly, had that been in a pub back in the 70’s it would have went on for days until someone eventually rang up the film columnist in the Irish Times.

The film was made in 1958, McQueen was born in 1930, so he was nearly 30 when he was acting the part of a 17 year old, and we all thought Mae West was an age chancer.

He had a tough life as a kid, his mother married three times, the first hubby left her soon after Steve was born, and the other two beat him regularly, he had run-ins with the law and even did a stint on a chain gang in the deep south.
Maybe that would explain why he had a weather beaten or ‘lived in’ face.

I always liked his acting style, pity he died so young.

“On November 7, 1980, McQueen died of heart failure at 3:45*a.m. at the Juárez clinic, 12 hours after surgery to remove or reduce numerous metastatic tumors in his neck and abdomen. He was 50 years old. According to the El Paso Times, McQueen died in his sleep” Wiki.

I always remember him in “The Thomas Crown Affair”, a great film in my opinion.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

16-11-2020, 11:10 PM

How times have changed, Dick Turpin wore a mask when he was robbing greedy people, now you wear the mask and the greedy people rob you.

What do you think of these prices for a simple swab? There have always been leeches who will profit from human misery.

“Two Covid-19 testing facilities are to open at Dublin Airport on Thursday, with the privately run centres offering passengers drive-through or walk-in tests.
Walk-in tests will cost €99, with results due back between 24 and 48 hours later.
Drive-through tests will range in price from €129-€159, depending on the type of test and the speed with which the results are required.” RTE news today.

Note the old €99 instead of €100 trick.

I think that deserves a short rhyme.

There once was a golden locket
Resting on a lily white breast
But the owner had to hock it
To pay for a corvid test.

Page 1626 of 1676 « First < 626 1126 1526 1576 1616 1624 1625 1626 1627 1628 1636 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top