Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 05:41 PM

Responsibility for damage

I have overhead telephone wires going to my neighbour's house, crossing a corner of my garden.

Also in my garden is a fairly large Yucca Aloifolia (at least I think it is), which looks pretty stable in a high wind and several smaller ones, with smaller stems, which are blowing around. If the larger tree should blow over and damage the overhead wires - who's responsibility is it?

Anyone know?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 07:39 PM

Re: Responsibility for damage

Not positive Lindy, but I have a feeling if it is your tree/shrub which causes the damage to a BT cable, BT will expect you to pay for the repair.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Not positive Lindy, but I have a feeling if it is your tree/shrub which causes the damage to a BT cable, BT will expect you to pay for the repair.
I think you're probably right. Damage limitation to cut it down - maybe I'll ask how susceptible to wind damage they are on a gardeners forum.

Thanks Mups.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I have overhead telephone wires going to my neighbour's house, crossing a corner of my garden.

Also in my garden is a fairly large Yucca Aloifolia (at least I think it is), which looks pretty stable in a high wind and several smaller ones, with smaller stems, which are blowing around. If the larger tree should blow over and damage the overhead wires - who's responsibility is it?

Anyone know?
Like Mups I am not too sure of the legal position on this. However, should the worst happen don't overlook your own house insurance, that may well cover some or all of the cost.

Some ten years' ago a professional tree surgeon had the misfortune to accidentally take down an overhead BT cable in the process of his work cutting back a large tree, he claimed on his business insurance. He reckoned at the time the cost of replacing that cable would cost around £300, that being accurate the cost would no doubt have increased in the intervening years.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 04:24 PM

I have overhead electricity cables carrying power to my house, but I understand it is their responsibility if tree branches are brought down in a storm. They come round about ever 3 years to remove any potentially dangerous branches from nearby trees... even the trees that are my own. I can also advise them if I notice any dangerous branches!
I would think that electricity cables are more dangerous than telephone wires, but I would ask if they are definitely putting the wires where your trees are & ask who is responsible if your tree branches come down in bad weather.
You may find that they are responsible but have the ability to prune your trees if they may cause problems.
The tree surgeons used by the electricity board always ask if they can cut branches off & they do a good job..... and my trees are huge!
Lindyloo
isle of wight

17-11-2020, 04:46 PM

Thanks Baz and Twink - I've just posted a query about the root system on a gardening forum and will also check my house insurance and keep an eye out for passing BT or electrical engineers and ask them too........... I'm already planning what to plant in it's place!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->

Anyone know?
I don't know but I would have thought that it was possible to argue that they are crossing your property and do so at their own risk. If they have a problem with that then they should re route the connection.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 02:42 AM

Telephone cabling outside is the telephone companies responsibility . It is up to them to route the cable in a safely , definitely way not the home owner.

Inside a property it is the property owners responsibility .

We had the same sort of problem at the kennels where the phone line ran the length of the access footpath trees . they had to replace the whole length at their cost. also provided a new telegraph pole and replaced another.

new pole in photo to keep phone line clear to our bungalow

Don't forget I worked for BT for almost 25 years often along side omi's (one man installers) who provided lines to properties.

Unless the person who is on the end of that cable complains to the telephone company about bad connection the company won't do anything.

So what happens if they do?

customer complains to say BT faults
BT faults do a line check from the exchange
If a fault is found first thing is to see if the fault is inside the house or not by asking questions ie any work done inside on the phone line

they may well send an engineer to check at the premises
if fault inside customer has to pay for repair
If fault outside then the company covers the cost.

It doesn't matter how a fault happens IE lorry with back up pulls down cable-trees rub through cable causing disconnecting or shorting - 0r even road men cutting through a cable. None is the customers fault.

Lindyloo

the phone company may well ask you for permission for them to cut back any offending tree or branch. you can say yes or no, it is up to you.

If you say no, then it is up to the phone company to sort out the problem not you
one option they may take is to put up another pole and route the phone line to that first then to the customers house, in extreme cases that is

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top