Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 10:34 AM

Re: Electric cars by 2030

My friend’s daughter has just bought a Tesla car. He took me to her house to see it on the first day, she got it. It looked very sporty and l think it was quite expensive.
It seemed funny looking inside a car to see no gear stick, just a screen in front of you with a button to start the car!

I had never heard of ‘Tesla’ before but it looked impressive and she loves it. It was plugged into a socket in her garage to charge
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Then there is the little problem of where many car owners, perhaps the majority, will charge their cars overnight. It's OK if you have your own garage or at least a drive, but what about all those people living in terraced houses or multi-storey flats who presently leave their cars on the roadside. Will they be able to run charging cables across the pavement to their cars, hoping that no-one trips over them or nicks them?
I don't think multi-storey flats are the issue. Where would they keep their cars? Terraced houses left on the kerbside would be a problem too. Cables as you say. But a more fundamental issue is the domestic energy requirement. And that applies to pretty much all EVs. Uprated residential meters? Then where do you get the power stations. Lots of them....

I think there is some way to go. 2030? Hm...
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
So what happens to the approx 40 million cars that will become surplus to requirement? Where will they go?
Will they all be squashed down into something the size of an 0xo cube?
Many will be kept running until major work is needed and then fully refurbished with what ever is needed to keep fully roadworthy and fulfilling their designed purpose. The car as we know it today will be on the roads for many a decade to come. Why do I say this? Simply because my local and trusted car service garage has already decided what the future holds for him and many like him. e.g The discontinued Land Rover Discovery as a model has many refurbishment dealers and due to demand for fully overhauled/rebuilt examples, many of which are always available.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 12:05 PM

Foxy, Who will be able to afford one? They don’t come cheap.
To answer your first query Arty, there is going to be a lot of scrap. Even though some parts can be recycled or used for spares, there will be tons of waste from a whole nation having to change from Internal Combustion Engines to Electric.
People complain about using up the worlds resources carelessly, and a change in the type of transport we use in the short space of time being allowed is just foolish and wasteful.

To answer your second query Arty, there are many people who will want to embrace the new technology. They will be scrapping or selling their perfectly good vehicles in favour of the latest model. They do now! And the market will be flooded with cheap petrol and diesel motors. Stand by for a bargain. Money is no object to most people Arty, credit comes easy, as is demonstrated by the must haves in this world always sporting the latest smartphone or smart 50"satellite TV....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I don't think multi-storey flats are the issue. Where would they keep their cars?
They keep them in parking spaces, if provided, or on the street.
Assigned parking spaces would be fine, assuming there were sufficient, but there would remain the same problem of cables at risk of theft or vandalism.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Many will be kept running until major work is needed and then fully refurbished with what ever is needed to keep fully roadworthy and fulfilling their designed purpose. The car as we know it today will be on the roads for many a decade to come. Why do I say this? Simply because my local and trusted car service garage has already decided what the future holds for him and many like him. e.g The discontinued Land Rover Discovery as a model has many refurbishment dealers and due to demand for fully overhauled/rebuilt examples, many of which are always available.
Yes, that's what I would do if this ill-thought-out project ever takes place.
Of course, I'm 68 and this bright idea isn't scheduled to take place until I'm 88 and then, of course, our traditional 'environment destroying car' will no doubt keep going for perhaps another ten years. By then, I expect I'll be happy to use an electric wheelchair or an electric taxi for longer journeys... if I'm still breathing.
David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I don't think multi-storey flats are the issue. Where would they keep their cars? Terraced houses left on the kerbside would be a problem too. Cables as you say. But a more fundamental issue is the domestic energy requirement. And that applies to pretty much all EVs. Uprated residential meters? Then where do you get the power stations. Lots of them....

I think there is some way to go. 2030? Hm...
I live in a suburb of Oxford and do not have a front garden. It is impossible to guarantee a parking space outside of my house. So home charging is a non-starter. Also I am concerned about the environmental problems with the manufacture of batteries. Lithium and cobalt are and increasing will more so need to be mined in geographically sensitive areas. Nothing yet has been planned for spent battery disposal.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
They keep them in parking spaces, if provided, or on the street.
Assigned parking spaces would be fine, assuming there were sufficient,
That's the crunch.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 03:16 PM

Foxy, Who will be able to afford one? They don’t come cheap.
I remember a time when only rich people owned a car. Maybe that's the goal for the future.

One thing's for sure. By the time this could affect me personally, I won't be driving a car any more.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by David P ->
I live in a suburb of Oxford and do not have a front garden. It is impossible to guarantee a parking space outside of my house. So home charging is a non-starter. Also I am concerned about the environmental problems with the manufacture of batteries. Lithium and cobalt are and increasing will more so need to be mined in geographically sensitive areas. Nothing yet has been planned for spent battery disposal.
Same here. I currently park my car in a car park but as yet there are no charging points. As with all government schemes, it is ill thought out.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top