Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 02:25 PM

The TV license.

I had a letter come this morning reminding me that we hadn't paid our TV license.

We don't get pension credits or any other benefit that makes us exempt from paying it. I know this but still I haven't paid it!

I'm wondering what they will do to me if I carry on refusing?

Have you paid yours?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 02:31 PM

Re: The TV license.

We renewed our TV licence back in early August after receiving their reminder.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 02:35 PM

Yes, I paid mine, under sufferance.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 02:39 PM

Think I seen on my online bank statement it was £13.20 I paid at the beginning of the month.
Interesting that you say because you get no pension credits or benefits and that you should not pay.
Does this mean all pensioners or just a certain aged pensioner.?

I ain't been a pensioner for long and I have not received any benefits since my early retirement in 2008 does this mean I am entitled to a free licence..
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 02:40 PM

I paid ours about a month ago.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I had a letter come this morning reminding me that we hadn't paid our TV license.

We don't get pension credits or any other benefit that makes us exempt from paying it. I know this but still I haven't paid it!

I'm wondering what they will do to me if I carry on refusing?

Have you paid yours?
No. I've told them politely to sod off. I signed a declaration at the end of May (renewal due date) to say that I no longer watch or record live TV nor watch the iPlayer service where you can watch recycled BBC crap.

I seldom watch TV so it came as no hardship but I did recently buy an Amazon Firestick to watch Amazon's streaming service and catch-up TV none of which you require a licence for. It hasn't stopped the BBC STASI from sending me six reminders (straight into the green bin) and a visit from one of their paid intimidators whom I told that I didn't need a licence.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Interesting that you say because you get no pension credits or benefits and that you should not pay.
I think you miss read me longfellow.
I was not saying I should not pay because I know I should according to the law.

I was saying that I have so far refused to pay!

I guess I will have to in the end. Do you think they'd prosecute me if I didn't?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I think you miss read me longfellow.
I was not saying I should not pay because I know I should according to the law.

I was saying that I have so far refused to pay!

I guess I will have to in the end. Do you think they'd prosecute me if I didn't?
Only if you watch or record live TV or use their iPlayer App. It's up to them to prove that you do, so do NOT allow anyone into your home to check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tAIws4bNvY
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 03:24 PM

I'm like Judd, I wrote them a letter, stating that I am moving soon and I will not be watching the TV any more, I don't have a Computer, Iplayer, i'll be getting out and about in the fresh air. We then got a phone call from them and we said the same thing over the phone, the Gentleman on the other end reminded us, that if we get caught we would have to pay a fine, he said you will probably get another reminder but to ignore it, then we shouldn't get any more, and thank god we haven't.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Yes, I paid mine, under sufferance.
Ours is paid by DD. I do wish I had the courage to refuse to pay as many others are doing. It seems the BBC online and switchboards are melting with the amount of people cancelling their licence. My problem is that I have never knowingly broken the law in my life, and it's hard to break the habit of a lifetime! I don't think I would ever be able to relax again waiting for that knock on the door.

So like others, I will be a sheep and continue paying under sufferance also.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top