Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 05:09 PM

Netflix V Prime Video

Hi, Does anyone else watch Prime Video? We have had a Netfllix account for a few years now and love it. But thought we would take up Amazon's current offer of 30 days free trial of Prime Video, just to see what it was like.
Have to say, not very impressed at all. They will be asking for £7.99 per month for viewing after the 30 days if we don't cancel, but we only pay £5.99 per month for Netflix and it is streets ahead with quallity of films and series.

I found that most of the films on Prime are really old. In fact, I would go as far as to say I have seen 75% of them. (Mind you, I did work in one brother's video shop for a few years so guess I am not the normal viewer)

They do have one or two good series though. HWMO and I are doing our best to get through the whole 5 series of OUTLANDERS before our 30 days are up, when we will definitely be cancelling.

How do you find Prime Video? Is it just me or do you too prefer Netflix?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 05:54 PM

Re: Netflix V Prime Video

Can’t say much about Prime Video, as I have only watched The Grand Tour on it, and the series following James May in Japan. I do have a Netflix Button/app my new telly but said to my sister, as I already pay for Sky tv, and Amazon Prime, I have no desire to pay for Netflix as well.

And I read now that Netflix have stopped doing the free trial, as too many viewers binge watched favourite shows. Spoiltsports, all of them, lol.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 07:02 PM

Here in Mexico, Netflix is dirt cheap, about $6 USD/month. However, I don't like their selection of available films too much. The overwhelming number of films are geared for teenagers and assorted thick headed. One heck of a lot of films about drug lords as heroes. Yes, there are some intelligent films but they are definitely in the minority.

Prime video is quite a bit more expensive, but at least they have an excellent selection of films.

If cost were not a factor, and I could choose only one, I'd choose Prime .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 07:07 PM

I think Netflix have a better selection but we have Prime instead for the added benefits of free next day deliveries and free book library etcetera. We also have Britbox which has some great old television series, usually shown from the beginning.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 08:17 PM

There's some good shows on Prime at least - I'm just making my way through Bosch at the mo, but have watched the entire season of Vikings (excellent), Taken - okay but series cut short, Picard 1st season (haven't decided if I liked this as yet.), Lucifer - all four seasons and am waiting for season five to start.

Last night, I started watching a subtitled French detective series Nicolas de Hoch set in 18th century France - looks promising. Will watch another episode of the series tonight.

Most of the films aren't much cop - you get some good ones but most are amateurish rip-offs of original films. They're trying to push the latest god-awful Borat film but there's no way I'm watching that crap.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2020, 04:10 PM

I agree with Barry in that the best thing about prime is the free deliveries etc. Overall I think Netflicks is better but there are still films on there that I watched two years ago.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2020, 05:41 PM

We have both, but Prime Video as part of the annual Prime package.
We all tend to use them for shows rather than films, and both have some excellent exclusives depending upon taste.

Amazon's Prime Video isn't as "polished" anm interface as Netflix and yet personally I myself use Prime Video far more than Netflix.
That's probably only because I keep finding things I like & there can be 5 or 6 series to get through.

Recently I've noticed Amazon Prime Video has been a bit "buggy", not forwarding through intro's properly & then crashing; not often, but enough times to annoy.
The suggestions and the "search" isn't as good as Netflix either IMHO.
I've seen Bosch recommended and it is very good, as was Mr Robot; The Boys; Upload; The Man In The High Castle; The Marvelous Mrs Maisel and so much it would take me a while to lost it all.

I said I find myself watching Prime Video rather than Netflix - and it's a great pictire on my 4K OLED TV through fibre broadband BTW.
Even if all three are watching different things there's no stuttering or buffering.

Netflix is in some ways nicer to use and certainly has far more content. It's the one my OH and my son use most frequently too.
But don't ask me what - a few years in now & I'm mostly on Prime Video.
Until a new season of Stranger Things, that is .........
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2020, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree with Barry in that the best thing about prime is the free deliveries etc. Overall I think Netflicks is better but there are still films on there that I watched two years ago.
Agree with that...I did have Netflix but switched to Prime for the extras, ‘free’ books, magazines, free delivery, next day delivery
I ordered some stuff this morning from Amazon and received it just now.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2020, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Agree with that...I did have Netflix but switched to Prime for the extras, ‘free’ books, magazines, free delivery, next day delivery
I ordered some stuff this morning from Amazon and received it just now.

Yes, I can't complain about the Amazon service.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2020, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
We have both, but Prime Video as part of the annual Prime package.
We all tend to use them for shows rather than films, and both have some excellent exclusives depending upon taste.

Amazon's Prime Video isn't as "polished" anm interface as Netflix and yet personally I myself use Prime Video far more than Netflix.
That's probably only because I keep finding things I like & there can be 5 or 6 series to get through.

Recently I've noticed Amazon Prime Video has been a bit "buggy", not forwarding through intro's properly & then crashing; not often, but enough times to annoy.
The suggestions and the "search" isn't as good as Netflix either IMHO.
I've seen Bosch recommended and it is very good, as was Mr Robot; The Boys; Upload; The Man In The High Castle; The Marvelous Mrs Maisel and so much it would take me a while to lost it all.

I said I find myself watching Prime Video rather than Netflix - and it's a great pictire on my 4K OLED TV through fibre broadband BTW.
Even if all three are watching different things there's no stuttering or buffering.

Netflix is in some ways nicer to use and certainly has far more content. It's the one my OH and my son use most frequently too.
But don't ask me what - a few years in now & I'm mostly on Prime Video.
Until a new season of Stranger Things, that is .........
If you have a Firestick or an Echo device, you can search for things by voice. A damned sight easier than using the screen-based search keyboard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top