Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 10:51 AM

Coronavirus & The Smokers?

Am I missing something?

Or is there nothing different about the impact of Coronavirus for those who still smoke, versus those who don't?

Over some years, we've seen the number of smokers decrease, year, on year, with some giving up, altogether and others moving to "vaping" instead.

Publicity, against smoking, has been strong, and has worked.

Since the start of the virus I, sort of, expect to hear that those who still smoke might be more at risk than those who don't.

After all, the damage to the lungs, of many who have been in for the treatment of Covid, seems to feature a lot, but smoking doesn't come up!.

I'm wondering why there hasn't been even the slightest mention of the extra risks that smoking might bring.

Anyone given up, giving up because of the virus?

Anyone been warned since Covid?

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 12:53 PM

Re: Coronavirus & The Smokers?

Funny you should mention that Ted...
When I smoked I never caught flu, had a cough or even a cold....

Could it be that there is something in the smoke that kills bacterial infections and viruses? It kills just about everything else including us!.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

Could it be that there is something in the smoke that kills bacterial infections and viruses? It kills just about everything else including us!.....
Same here OGF, also Hayfever (asthma). If I got a bit breathy, a fag always helped.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 03:27 PM

I stopped smoking for 12 years and then slipped back into have 3 or 4 a day. About 11 years later I stopped smoking again and have never had one since.
Smoking causes long term damage to your health , so it takes a while to kill you, but it will add to your health problems as long as you smoke.( especially lung cancer & heart disease)
I have beaten cancer over the last 10 years and had no sign of Covid, but if I had my life to live again I would never consider smoking again.
I can honestly say that when I had a cold or cough, whilst smoking it made me feel a lot worse than it does now. In fact a cold now is nothing more than slight temperature, a few sniffles and a mild cough if it is really bad!
Smoking does reduce the airflow to your lungs, so I would think that it increases the risk of death if you get Covid!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Am I missing something?

Or is there nothing different about the impact of Coronavirus for those who still smoke, versus those who don't?

Over some years, we've seen the number of smokers decrease, year, on year, with some giving up, altogether and others moving to "vaping" instead.

Publicity, against smoking, has been strong, and has worked.

Since the start of the virus I, sort of, expect to hear that those who still smoke might be more at risk than those who don't.

After all, the damage to the lungs, of many who have been in for the treatment of Covid, seems to feature a lot, but smoking doesn't come up!.

I'm wondering why there hasn't been even the slightest mention of the extra risks that smoking might bring.

Anyone given up, giving up because of the virus?

Anyone been warned since Covid?

I wondered about that as well, but no one has said have they.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

I wondered if this was true too, because I never get colds, not bad ones any way, but I do have a cough some of the time.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Same here OGF, also Hayfever (asthma). If I got a bit breathy, a fag always helped.
I find that too, though I don't suffer from hayfever or asthma, daft isn't it. Surely it should make whatever worse!!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I stopped smoking for 12 years and then slipped back into have 3 or 4 a day. About 11 years later I stopped smoking again and have never had one since.
Smoking causes long term damage to your health , so it takes a while to kill you, but it will add to your health problems as long as you smoke.( especially lung cancer & heart disease)
I have beaten cancer over the last 10 years and had no sign of Covid, but if I had my life to live again I would never consider smoking again.
I can honestly say that when I had a cold or cough, whilst smoking it made me feel a lot worse than it does now. In fact a cold now is nothing more than slight temperature, a few sniffles and a mild cough if it is really bad!
Smoking does reduce the airflow to your lungs, so I would think that it increases the risk of death if you get Covid!
I know that which is why I am avoiding getting Covid19 as best as I can. No one has said smoking will make you sicker though. Other health problems yes, but no mention of smoking.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 04:44 PM

I could be wrong, as I'm thinking back to February or March when we were all first alerted to the risks of Covid, but I'm sure it was reported then that ...

smokers were slightly more likely to contract Covid but rather oddly didn't suffer as much. For some strange reason damaged lungs weathered the attack better.... something to do with nicotine offering a modicum of protection.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Well that might be true Twink (I've had two Heart Attacks) but at least you might not die of Covid... Small mercies aye'....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I could be wrong, as I'm thinking back to February or March when we were all first alerted to the risks of Covid, but I'm sure it was reported then that ...

smokers were slightly more likely to contract Covid but rather oddly didn't suffer as much. For some strange reason damaged lungs weathered the attack better.... something to do with nicotine offering a modicum of protection.
Hi

Being overweight or diabetic is far more dangerous than being a smoker.
Simple statistical fact.

I am no longer smoking and my stats are fine.

I am losing weight rapidly, best advice have ever had.

Your lungs have to pump out more oxygen the fatter you are, Covid interfered with that.

I have lost 6 kilos, more to go.

Exercise is difficult due to previous injuries.

I have no discernablle pulse in my my left groin, which accounts for my slow walking.

A big change in life, but still good.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Being overweight or diabetic is far more dangerous than being a smoker.
Simple statistical fact.

I am no longer smoking and my stats are fine.

I am losing weight rapidly, best advice have ever had.

Your lungs have to pump out more oxygen the fatter you are, Covid interfered with that.

I have lost 6 kilos, more to go.

Exercise is difficult due to previous injuries.

I have no discernablle pulse in my my left groin, which accounts for my slow walking.

A big change in life, but still good.
Swimmy, You might be struggling at the moment healthwise but your brain is certainly still on the ball!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top