Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 12:44 PM

How Do You Know What Your Job Is/Was?

These days, when we are in a job, we are supposed to know, exactly, what the job is.

That would be advised to us, in the form of a written "Job Description", which tells us of all the things we should do, including performance requirements, Health & Safety..etc.

Also, we're supposed to be kept informed of how well we're performing, against that job description.

Were you happy with what you were told?

Did you ever get conned? (example - get asked to retro sign a safety procedure just after someone got hurt?)

If you weren't given any of the above, would you push for it?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 01:14 PM

Re: How Do You Know What Your Job Is/Was?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
These days, when we are in a job, we are supposed to know, exactly, what the job is.

That would be advised to us, in the form of a written "Job Description", which tells us of all the things we should do, including performance requirements, Health & Safety..etc.

Also, we're supposed to be kept informed of how well we're performing, against that job description.

Did you ever get conned? (example - get asked to retro sign a safety procedure just after someone got hurt?)

Abso-bloomin-right I would! There is a legal requirement that you should be given a written contract of employment.

As for feedback on performance, if you don't like what you get told then do something about it. Murdering the assessor is not always successful though.

In the case of retro approving a safety procedure after an incident --- absolutely not under any circumstances. That could get you in jail and rightly so.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Abso-bloomin-right I would! There is a legal requirement that you should be given a written contract of employment.

As for feedback on performance, if you don't like what you get told then do something about it. Murdering the assessor is not always successful though.

In the case of retro approving a safety procedure after an incident --- absolutely not under any circumstances. That could get you in jail and rightly so.
I agree!

If a boss comes over with a Brand New, re-written, document, it's not a bad idea to make sure that the date is correct for the day you sign up.

A "new" document with a 6 month old date on it might be a bit smelly!

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 05:13 PM

The Self Employed don't need KPIs, the best indicator is the flow of cash into the Bank
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 08:06 PM

I always knew what my job was. A six-year trade apprenticeship plus a trade union made sure of that. Job descriptions were never signed, again the trade union took care of that and instructed us never to sign any documentation without prior consultation with them.

A retrospective signature after an accident involving safety procedures is something I would never do anyway. A trade union representative would ensure in those circumstanced the correct procedure was followed, that was a certainty.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 08:17 PM

... best freelance. It always worked for me.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 09:06 PM

Do the job you were hired to do, then do it one step further and one step looking forward.

It has always worked for me.

Keeps you out of trouble, and the bosses don't mess with you.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 09:32 PM

As a time served mechanical engineer and general machinist, one of my jobs was to tell the boss what was possible, and how to do it because he knew bugger all....
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 06:12 AM

I spent 35 years as a counsellor after graduating with degrees in social work and applied psychology. I worked in many settings. Had my own practice for many years. The most valuable things I knew I had learned at the end of those 35 years was firstly, just how much I didn't know, and secondly, how to listen. That's the thing I always knew I had to do.. listen. If you can do that properly, everything else follows.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 08:20 AM

I always pretty much wrote my own job description I was quite hard on myself too

Actually Ted I thought this thread was going to be about the lack of a job description for retirement...we could do with one of those

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top