Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 09:33 PM

Civilisation FM

After 40 years of having to compromise on so many of the smaller, yet significant, preferences of daily life, I found myself in a position to indulge my inclinations unimpeded. I could have gone for wine women and song, but, staying true to my nature, I was content to merely be free to have both the radio in my car and domestic residence permanently tuned to BBC Radio 4. Along with toast and marmalade, tea, and cricket on the village green, Radio 4 is an integral thread in the weave of the fabric of civilisation, or at least my kind of civilisation. I should just mention that even though I don’t have any interest in cricket, it matters to me that it’s there.

But what is it about Radio 4 that I can’t imagine living without?

Radio 4, it seems to me, is predominantly intended to appeal to an educated middle class audience; I am uneducated and working class, so, given my contrary nature, I was bound to like it. Let’s take a look at the daily schedule:

06:00. The Today Programme:
The three hour flagship daily news programme. This is my window onto what is happening in the world; I don’t read a newspaper or have a TV set. Unbiased, accurate and up to the minute reporting. Human prejudice can never be totally eliminated, but the BBC news comes as close to impartial as it gets. They don’t always give me as much detail as I would like, but I have complete confidence in what they do tell me, except when I haven’t.

10:00. Woman’s Hour
I’ve learnt some interesting stuff on Woman’s Hour. For one thing, I now know that it’s okay to talk about the clitoris at 10:00 a.m. Not that I ever have, but it’s good to know that I could if I wanted to. It can be provocative too. Many is the time I’ve found myself getting worked up at the presenter’s blatant attempts at getting somebody to blame men for something that isn’t exclusively their fault, and then found myself wearing a smirk when the interviewee wouldn’t go along with it.

12:15. You and Yours
Daily consumer rights programme. Usually about electricity prices or pension pot scams. They sometimes have a phone in, when idiots from the general public can tell their stories of how con-men have taken advantage of their stupidity.

14:00. The Archers
Daily soap about a farming community set in the West Midlands village of Ambridge. Absolute crap, yet I still listen.

18:30. Comedy
Half hour comedy slot. Although usually second rate, it is more often third rate, or even drops of the scale altogether.

19:00. Another dose of The Archers.

I can see how Radio 4 might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I love it, it’s so bloody British.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 10:26 PM

Re: Civilisation FM

Its still Radio 2 for me, but it is hard, listening to how much celebs are "Lovely", and "Wholesome" and loved by "Everyone", migt try Radoi 4 and see if that makes ne Tom and Dick.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Its still Radio 2 for me, but it is hard, listening to how much celebs are "Lovely", and "Wholesome" and loved by "Everyone", migt try Radoi 4 and see if that makes ne Tom and Dick.
It's like TV, but without the pictures. Some programmes you'll like, some you won't.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 10:40 PM

My god, there is some sloppy typing in my last post, lets hope there are no police about, with a Brotheliser!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

22-11-2020, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
It's like TV, but without the pictures. Some programmes you'll like, some you won't.
If its as British as you claim, the bits I don't like will be understandable.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 10:51 PM

My Radio 4 often goes on before 6am, I like to doze to Farming Today and it stays on until about 6pm.

I couldn't cope without Radio 4.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
After 40 years of having to compromise on so many of the smaller, yet significant, preferences of daily life, I found myself in a position to indulge my inclinations unimpeded. I could have gone for wine women and song, but, staying true to my nature, I was content to merely be free to have both the radio in my car and domestic residence permanently tuned to BBC Radio 4. Along with toast and marmalade, tea, and cricket on the village green, Radio 4 is an integral thread in the weave of the fabric of civilisation, or at least my kind of civilisation. I should just mention that even though I don’t have any interest in cricket, it matters to me that it’s there.

But what is it about Radio 4 that I can’t imagine living without?

Radio 4, it seems to me, is predominantly intended to appeal to an educated middle class audience; I am uneducated and working class, so, given my contrary nature, I was bound to like it. Let’s take a look at the daily schedule:

06:00. The Today Programme:
The three hour flagship daily news programme. This is my window onto what is happening in the world; I don’t read a newspaper or have a TV set. Unbiased, accurate and up to the minute reporting. Human prejudice can never be totally eliminated, but the BBC news comes as close to impartial as it gets. They don’t always give me as much detail as I would like, but I have complete confidence in what they do tell me, except when I haven’t.

10:00. Woman’s Hour
I’ve learnt some interesting stuff on Woman’s Hour. For one thing, I now know that it’s okay to talk about the clitoris at 10:00 a.m. Not that I ever have, but it’s good to know that I could if I wanted to. It can be provocative too. Many is the time I’ve found myself getting worked up at the presenter’s blatant attempts at getting somebody to blame men for something that isn’t exclusively their fault, and then found myself wearing a smirk when the interviewee wouldn’t go along with it.

12:15. You and Yours
Daily consumer rights programme. Usually about electricity prices or pension pot scams. They sometimes have a phone in, when idiots from the general public can tell their stories of how con-men have taken advantage of their stupidity.

14:00. The Archers
Daily soap about a farming community set in the West Midlands village of Ambridge. Absolute crap, yet I still listen.

18:30. Comedy
Half hour comedy slot. Although usually second rate, it is more often third rate, or even drops of the scale altogether.

19:00. Another dose of The Archers.

I can see how Radio 4 might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I love it, it’s so bloody British.
A man after my own heart - none of my radios are aware there is any other channel but Radio 4!
Harbal
South Yorkshire

22-11-2020, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
If its as British as you claim, the bits I don't like will be understandable.
Some of the acting in the dramas is lamentable, and some of the comedy programmes are laughable, but for the wrong reason. There are some very entertaining and interesting things as well, though. Desert Island Discs is okay if you happen like the marooned celebrity, but, unfortunately, a lot of famous people have atrocious taste in music. If you are into gardening, then Gardener's World might be up your street. Four total plonkers comprise a panel of "expert" horticulturists, and they answer gardening questions posed by another set of plonkers, chosen from the audience.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

22-11-2020, 11:05 PM

I am slowly warming to Radio 4.

Got to be better than celeb backslapping.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

22-11-2020, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
A man after my own heart - none of my radios are aware there is any other channel but Radio 4!
I doubt there is anything else like it in the whole world of broadcasting, S.T.; I would be lost without it. Even the bad bits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top