Join for free
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 01:22 PM

Advice For Making Peppercorn Butter, Please..

I have said on here how much l love steak. I usually buy it from the in-store butcher counter in Morrisons.
When you buy steak at Morrison’s, they offer you a choice of butters to go with your steak. It is lovely.
I have asked but it not possible to buy it separately, in store.

As l still had lots of steak in my freezer but no peppercorn butter, l decided to make my own. Big mistake, as it nearly broke my teeth!

I put the mixed peppercorns in a pepper grinder but they didn’t grind very well. So l put them in my Kenwood chopper, they still wouldn’t grind, it was like they were indestructible!

I added them to the butter and left them for a while. When my steak was ready, I put some of the peppercorn butter on top but it wasn’t nice. It was like eating bits of hard rock!

I have looked in supermarkets for green peppercorns or a mixture of of red, black and green peppercorns in brine but l can’t find any. I can only find them for sale on the internet.
I used the green peppercorns in brine years ago to make peppercorn sauce.

I wonder, if anyone knows how l can soften the mixed peppercorns to make the butter with that lovely authentic taste.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 03:33 PM

Re: Advice For Making Peppercorn Butter, Please..

Hi Art I have been unable to buy brined green peppercorns for some time, I used to get little jars in Waitrose.

I have read that dried green peppercorns can be reconstituted by adding a few to a cup of boiling water containing 2 teaspoons of salt and leaving them to stand for 30 minutes but I haven't tried it myself.

In the past if a butter using brined green peppercorns was called for and I didn't have any , I have tried using tiny brined capers for the piquancy and lots of freshly ground black for the heat and that works well
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Art I have been unable to buy brined green peppercorns for some time, I used to get little jars in Waitrose.

I have read that dried green peppercorns can be reconstituted by adding a few to a cup of boiling water containing 2 teaspoons of salt and leaving them to stand for 30 minutes but I haven't tried it myself.

If a butter using brined green peppercorns is called for , I have tried using tiny brined capers for the piquancy and lots of freshly ground black for the heat and that works well

Just what I was going to suggest - peppercorns are just dried flower buds so you can perhaps try softening some in warm/hot water. Chuck them in the water and leave them to cool. Failing that, you could always use the coarse setting on a pepper mill.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 06:19 PM

I usually grind mine with a pestle and mortar - you can make them as fine as you want.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

In the past if a butter using brined green peppercorns was called for and I didn't have any , I have tried using tiny brined capers for the piquancy and lots of freshly ground black for the heat and that works well
Thank You, Meg. I wonder why it’s so hard to get the ones in brine? I know that when l could, only one place sold them but l can’t remember which! It wasn’t Waitrose as, it wasn’t built then!
I could try the hot water method and see if they soften.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

25-08-2019, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Just what I was going to suggest - peppercorns are just dried flower buds so you can perhaps try softening some in warm/hot water. Chuck them in the water and leave them to cool. Failing that, you could always use the coarse setting on a pepper mill.
Thank You, Judd,
I never knew peppercorns were dried buds! In fact, l didn’t know where they originated from at all. I did wonder, why you could get them in different colours?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

25-08-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I usually grind mine with a pestle and mortar - you can make them as fine as you want.
Thank You, ST, I do have a pestle and mortar and thought about using it but as l said, some of the peppercorns were as hard as rocks and seemed indestructible!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 12:03 AM

Perhaps Mary Berry can help:

Steak with peppercorn sauce

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/s...ppercorn_07284

For the sauce
  • 100ml/3½fl oz beef stock
  • ½ garlic clove, crushed
  • 2 tbsp brandy
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 150ml/¼ pint double cream
  • ½ tsp crushed black peppercorns
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top