Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 10:21 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

That’s good news Spitty, I thought the office, having not being mentioned in recent despatches, had been abandoned indefinitely and didn’t like to inquire any further, fair play to you you stuck with it and now have the roof on, now you can have a night on the TILES to celebrate.

That can't be allowed to happen, I have seen the council estate, that should make one value real estate.

I would post a photo but Gummy and Sweetie ain't about no more, are they.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Claddagh rings

Solo - it was lovely to read about your grandma having one for a wedding ring.

Jem - is there a story behind them?

One day I would like to have one - maybe next time I am home.

Does Ireland still mine silver/gold?

Nice to get your comment Tabby.

The link tells about the Claddaghs origins, the Richard Joyce from Claddagh legend...and how they should be worn.

My Grandmas ring is the same as the first silver one in the flowers photo.

If you give Jem a Gong/Dong he will hopefuly add more to your quesions

https://www.ancient-origins.net/arti...c-irish-021306
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 09:08 PM

Solo’s link explains it best Silver, I’ve heard so many versions about who actually designed the ring, some even say it was a Frenchman, anyway it has always been a great money spinner for the jewellery trade in Ireland down through the years, we export thousands of them in gold and tens of thousands in silver every year, they carry the Irish hallmark which is a guarantee of country of origin and the purity of the gold/silver, only Britain and Ireland do hallmarking.
It is a wonderful design, simple, yet saying a lot and looking good at the same time, they are always in fashion all over the world.

No gold mining here any more as far as I know, bar the odd individual panning the waters of Avoca for a few grains, one could never make a living from it but some folks seem to enjoy doing it as a sort of hobby, panning is all in the flick of the wrists I believe.

“Ireland has a long association with mining. Records of mining date back to the Bronze Age (ca 2000 B.C.) when southwest Ireland was an important copper producer and alluvial gold was also worked for the production of gold artefacts. Although iron was worked from the eastern half of Ireland during the 16th and 17th centuries, it was not until the late 18th and 19th centuries, that the Irish metal mining industry really flourished, triggered by the needs of the Industrial Revolution in Britain. During this period, almost every county had at least one metal mine. Copper mining boomed, as did lead-silver extraction from numerous high grade, low tonnage vein deposits. Fortunes were made and lost, not least during the gold rush between 1795 and 1830 at the Gold Mines River (Co. Wicklow), where an estimated 7-9,000 oz of gold were extracted from alluvial gravels. This period also witnessed the most important episode of coal mining, slate quarrying and pyrite production in Ireland”
(Source. Mining in Ireland)
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 09:23 PM

The Wife has one, from her Mother, the Gold is very dark and lacks lustre.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote Spitfire. "I would post a photo but Gummy and Sweetie ain't about no more, are they"

Alas no Spitty, nor the bold RJ, not a word from him.
I would would still like to see a photo of your achievements none the less.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

25-08-2019, 09:29 PM

Tomorrow, you will see the culmination of a lot of hard work.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

26-08-2019, 01:24 PM

The great Razor Rip off.

My two grandsons have started shaving now and of course they have to have the latest razors, you know they type, it costs about 2 quid for the razor and a tenner for a few replacement blades, I told them to stick to the Tesco disposables at about 3 euros for twelve, but they wouldn’t hear of it, silly boys, but they weren’t long about packing up the fancy razors when it started to put a big hole in their allowances, now they are only too happy to use the disposables.

Here’s a few facts taken from an article on the “This is money” site, this was back in 2009 so I’m sure the prices quoted here will have risen considerably by now.

“A pack of four Fusion Power cartridges costs only 20p to manufacture, plus 8p for packaging. But they are sold for £9.72 - a mark-up of £9.44.
An industry insider said Gillette takes the lion share - £6.28 - to cover its operating costs and make a profit. Some £1.90 goes to the retailer and £1.26 to the Government in VAT”
'The figures tell you why it can afford to use stars such as Tiger Woods on its payroll (for advertising) and how it could afford to give David Beckham a diamond-encrusted mach3 razor for Father's Day some years back costing $54,000”

Beckham, not a great advertisement for razor blades is he? every picture I see of him he always looks in need of a decent shave.
Funny old world ain’t it, people paying 10 quid for something worth 28 pence, are we all mad!
As that old Dublin comedian Jimmy O’Dea used to say “It’s the likes of us who keeps the likes of them walking around in their Rolls Royces”
(you may remember O’Dea as the king of the fairies in Walt Disney’s “Darby O’Gill and the little People”, it also stars a very young and gawky looking Sean Connery)
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->

As that old Dublin comedian Jimmy O’Dea used to say “It’s the likes of us who keeps the likes of them walking around in their Rolls Royces”
(you may remember O’Dea as the king of the fairies in Walt Disney’s “Darby O’Gill and the little People”, it also stars a very young and gawky looking Sean Connery)
That takes me back, Jem!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 02:15 PM

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

26-08-2019, 04:17 PM

Here is the office nearly finished, I left the spirit level in the photo so Realspeed can see what a proper one looks like. The roof is being done in Sandtoft 20/20 clay tiles in what is known as a Dry, Vented system.
The open gables are going to be clad this week in upvc cladding backed with 100mm foam insulation into the roof space, and facia boards fitted so the eaves can be fixed with the dry verge. Onto the inside then for electrics, communications, plastering and heating.
Bought it in just on budget £1000.00, you would not have got a 2.7m X 2.5m wooden shed for that

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top