Join for free
Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 03:57 PM

Re: Dispatches,Ch4 tonight ,Growing Up Poor

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Do you really think there ought not to have been progress since the 1930's ?
As for people not dying these days have you not read how many homeless on the streets are dying and please don't tell me they're homeless because they like it on the streets or that it's their own fault.
Did people take their lives in the 1930's because of how the Government Welfare System penalised them them ?
No of course not because as you so rightly say there was no system then..
As for this constant harping on about people out of work having Mobile phones .
Did you know that you can only apply for a job now if you have one ? That you have to apply online ? None of the old being sent for jobs .
That you can only apply for Universal Credit online and you must have a mobile phone to receive updates.
No I guess there's a lot you don't know and it's no use argueing what used to be .
If they're living alfresco then it IS their fault. As for a kiddie phone, a perfectly workable thing can be had for a fiver and PAYG is perfectly adequate for essential use.

To apply for tax payer handouts a mobile phone is NOT essential. Very helpful but NOT essential. Same with using t'interweb, job centres etc grant access if asked.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 04:16 PM

Isn't there a rule in here re being offensive Art ? Insults are usually the method when you can't discuss something rationally without resorting to them. .
Fine, Zuleika. I will ask for it to be deleted. Now requested.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
If they're living alfresco then it IS their fault. As for a kiddie phone, a perfectly workable thing can be had for a fiver and PAYG is perfectly adequate for essential use.

To apply for tax payer handouts a mobile phone is NOT essential. Very helpful but NOT essential. Same with using t'interweb, job centres etc grant access if asked.
My town as have many others lost it's JC ages ago

Maybe read this man's experience ? https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/universa...rtphone-252546
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 04:45 PM

My town as have many others lost it's JC ages ago

Maybe read this man's experience ? https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/universa...rtphone-252546
So? There are other places that allow access to the web even if for a small, and it IS a small fee.

In any case few cleaner jobs require a "smart phone" to get, nor do other low skill jobs. Pot Boy or Pot Girl even at just weekends brings a few quid in for one and will probably be cash in hand plus perks such as free leftover bar snacks. Same with a phone call taker at a Chinkey. Again cash in hand and freebie nosh.

Life sucking on the tax payers teat is just too damm easy and choosing not to abide by a few simple requirements to get albeit emergency accomadation is not too much to ask. Same with spending what is handed out as freebie cash on drink or drugs (but never sausage rolls!) is a lifestyle CHOICE.

I have not one iota of sympathy for gutter dwellers but I do question why more use of existing legislation to deal with vagrants is not used.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 04:55 PM

I can't go on arueing with your ranting , sorry but this particular programme is the topic.
If ypu want to discuss it and the three families concerned .... fine .
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 05:12 PM

Sadly what you don't recognise is it's people like yourself who are sitting in your comfortable homes typing away about trivial matters, after all you're one of the most prolific posters in here about those arn't you ?
I'm not one of those kind although I can see the lighthearted way of life takes you from dwelling on more serious issues you might prefer not to dwell on .

Typing away about trivial matters...what has that got to do with the dispatches documentary?

Your not one of those kind..what is that supposed to mean....?

If you can't have a bit of light hearted in ones life,you may as well be dead...sorry,but I find this post rude.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 06:59 PM

Hang on, l live well below the poverty line. In fact, l must be living in severe poverty.
Figures show approx £16k to be the poverty line for single people.
I get only a state pension of £169+ a week amounting to £8,838.96 a year to live on.
Maybe, a television programme can be made about my severe poverty?
Zuleika
North West UK

08-12-2019, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Hang on, l live well below the poverty line. In fact, l must be living in severe poverty.
Figures show approx £16k to be the poverty line for single people.
I get only a state pension of £169+ a week amounting to £8,838.96 a year to live on.
Maybe, a television programme can be made about my severe poverty?
You could apply for Pension Credit if you think you’re entitled to it .
Then you’ll be passported to Warm Home Discount .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by realist ->
i suspect the reason is because the situation is far far more complicated than presented by media tv propaganda shows.

Bottom line is that people must live within their means.

It's a vital principle.

Start living beyond your means and you run into future difficulty which can spiral out of control.

Living within your means isn't just about assessing whether you can afford a house, car, tv or iphone.

At it's most fundamental it also covers whether or not someone should actually have kids.

There is a known cost to having a child and it is huge. It covers the known costs from birth through to university.

What you have at the moment is people just gaily having kids without having the financial stability to ever be able to afford to look after them properly.

It's not that long ago when the dregs of this society were wilfully having as many kids as they could because every one added to the benefits they could claim. In this respect having kids was just a monetary proposition and nothing to do with life, love and nurturing.

Our society is currently suffering from the aftermath of that situation. Lots of impoverished kids whose parents couldn't really afford to keep them now struggling. Poor education, poor social skills, finding it hard to get good jobs, many dropping into a life of crime and so on.

With these kind of tv programmes you never get the full story, only the cherry picked sound bites and political rhetoric they want to show you.

There should be some kind of laws covering people having kids because it is totally irresponsible and wicked to have kids if you can't afford to look after them properly.

On a final point i notice you use the term "homeless" people as crops up so many times in these kind of threads. People are not really "homeless", they have access to emergency, temporary and many other forms of accommodation. Street people are choosing to live their lives on the street. They don't want to spend their available monies on rent and accommodation, they mostly want to spend it on drink and drugs. Who are we to tell them how to spend their money and live their lives? It is their choice no-one else's.

Accommodation is not the problem with the people incorrectly labelled as "homeless". The problem is far deeper and people would rather shield their eyes from it and appease their consciences with lame efforts like sending hats, gloves and scarves to charities at christmas. This does nothing but perpetuate the situation.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I watched this programme and wondered if the children were actors? They seemed too articulate and didn’t seem starved at all.
One of the women featured owned her house!

I noticed mobile phones, even some of the children had them!

Perhaps, my idea of poverty is different from modern day poverty?
Added to which, the timing of the program, just before the election, makes me wonder.

Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top