Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 12:48 PM

Re: Drug dealers sentence

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Drug abuse will never be eliminated. Never. Look at the prohibition era in the USA.

Many people LIKE to use drugs.
Many people like speeding. Many people get involved in burglary and other crimes. The key is to make it as unappealing as possible. The softly softly approach we have towards drug usage doesn't do that.

True that we'll never eradicate it. But we can decrease it through harsher sanctions.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Many people like speeding. Many people get involved in burglary and other crimes. The key is to make it as unappealing as possible. The softly softly approach we have towards drug usage doesn't do that.

True that we'll never eradicate it. But we can decrease it through harsher sanctions.
Which will simply increase the level of associated crime.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Wrongly attributed to Einstein)
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
First of all, of course dealers need to be dealt with harshly and of course they try to entice people into using drugs.

But there seems to be too much onus on them being punished, and not enough on those who keep them in business. Rarely is anyone prosecuted for having drugs on them for "personal use". This is, IMHO, a large part of the problem. Buying drugs is simply adding to the problem as it feeds the whole supply chain.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who is caught with ANY form of illicit drug on them needs to be dealt with properly. This could include on the spot fines, a requirement to attend courses to explain why their actions are so damaging, up to incarceration.

Think of other offences. Driving over the speed limit is rarely overlooked, with automatic fines, penalty points (which affect insurance premiums), awareness courses, possible loss of employment and sometimes imprisonment. Why? Because speeding is viewed as potentially dangerous, not only for the person speeding, but others.

Why then, is speeding dealt with more harshly than owning/using drugs?

It just seems to make sense that if we can make the demand for drugs smaller by making the prospect of even carrying or using them more unappealing (to say the least), then the whole problem becomes smaller.
OK so you are going to include alcohol in all of that yes? The drug that kills more people either by disease or by it's by products..viz drunk driving, violence etc - than all the others combined? I don't think so. I don't agree with Art on much but I do with that one. And cannabis, the most innocuous and widely used drug of all of them apart from alcohol?. There are some strains of modern marijuana that are hydroponically produced and extremely strong. They are a worry because of all the chemicals they contain. And of course drugs like ice, MDA, heroin and other "hard" drugs need to be stamped out if possible. But targeting users instead of suppliers never works anywhere and it never has. It just creates more criminals. Yes go after the gangsters, importers, dealers and traffickers. THe ones that live in the big houses and drive the luxury cars. They are the real criminals. Take their money and their assets from them and hurl them in prison. Use the money for rehabilitation of those who's lives they have wrecked. Otherwise you'll just have to build more and more prisons while they sit back and laugh.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
ok so you are going to include alcohol in all of that yes? The drug that kills more people either by disease or by it's by products..viz drunk driving, violence etc - than all the others combined? I don't think so. I don't agree with art on much but i do with that one. And cannabis, the most innocuous and widely used drug of all of them apart from alcohol?. There are some strains of modern marijuana that are hydroponically produced and extremely strong. They are a worry because of all the chemicals they contain. And of course drugs like ice, mda, heroin and other "hard" drugs need to be stamped out if possible. But targeting users instead of suppliers never works anywhere and it never has. It just creates more criminals. Yes go after the gangsters, importers, dealers and traffickers. The ones that live in the big houses and drive the luxury cars. They are the real criminals. Take their money and their assets from them and hurl them in prison. Use the money for rehabilitation of those who's lives they have wrecked. Otherwise you'll just have to build more and more prisons while they sit back and laugh.

Why bother with prison, some would prefer death than see their source of income destroyed.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
OK so you are going to include alcohol in all of that yes? The drug that kills more people either by disease or by it's by products..viz drunk driving, violence etc - than all the others combined? I don't think so. I don't agree with Art on much but I do with that one. And cannabis, the most innocuous and widely used drug of all of them apart from alcohol?. There are some strains of modern marijuana that are hydroponically produced and extremely strong. They are a worry because of all the chemicals they contain. And of course drugs like ice, MDA, heroin and other "hard" drugs need to be stamped out if possible. But targeting users instead of suppliers never works anywhere and it never has. It just creates more criminals. Yes go after the gangsters, importers, dealers and traffickers. THe ones that live in the big houses and drive the luxury cars. They are the real criminals. Take their money and their assets from them and hurl them in prison. Use the money for rehabilitation of those who's lives they have wrecked. Otherwise you'll just have to build more and more prisons while they sit back and laugh.
Since alcohol is not deemed illegal, your initial argument doesn't apply to this thread. Medicinal use of cannabis is a different discussion entirely.

We are talking about the food chain of illegal drugs here. Punish both the user and the supplier to significantly deplete its prevalence. To target one without the other is futile.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 10:07 PM

I just took my time machine back to the 1950s.

I went to find out why I started smoking and who the dealers were, back then.

I started smoking because my pals did it, and one felt the need to conform.

The Dealers were the stores & shopkeepers, all deemed to be legally OK, and not much of discussion about smoking induced deaths or health problems.

Moved forward to being a sailor, and many people smoked there, in fact with minimal cost due to duty free.

The ocean air seemed to help though.

Later, in the work environment, Smokers were banished to special rooms and would go there 2 or 3 times an hour, but things were starting to change.

If you went to work by Bus, going upstairs would kill you!

OK, I'm back, from my time trip.and I cannot fail to see the parallels with modern drug taking.

People are dying, or becoming ill, in a similar way.

We need better ways of finding the perps, (maybe sniffer dogs in every pub?), and fast & efficient precution for selling/handling the stuff.

Why? Because it's killing people.

Making drugs legal will not help. The addiction will cause the damage and the money is made from that addiction.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 10:47 PM

Yes, even the prosecutors.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 03:45 PM

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18...an-shed-title/

'More people will die in Scotland between now and Christmas than in a whole year in Portugal, which once had a similar drug death crisis'.

Sound grim? It’s not as depressing as picking through Scotland’s drug death statistics for a sixth horrific record breaking year. In 2019 there were 1264 families bereaved by a drug death. That’s 23 per 100,000 people, making Scotland the drug death capital of the world - a dark crown no country wants.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I just took my time machine back to the 1950s.

I went to find out why I started smoking and who the dealers were, back then.

I started smoking because my pals did it, and one felt the need to conform.

The Dealers were the stores & shopkeepers, all deemed to be legally OK, and not much of discussion about smoking induced deaths or health problems.

Moved forward to being a sailor, and many people smoked there, in fact with minimal cost due to duty free.

The ocean air seemed to help though.

Later, in the work environment, Smokers were banished to special rooms and would go there 2 or 3 times an hour, but things were starting to change.

If you went to work by Bus, going upstairs would kill you!

OK, I'm back, from my time trip.and I cannot fail to see the parallels with modern drug taking.

People are dying, or becoming ill, in a similar way.

We need better ways of finding the perps, (maybe sniffer dogs in every pub?), and fast & efficient precution for selling/handling the stuff.

Why? Because it's killing people.

Making drugs legal will not help. The addiction will cause the damage and the money is made from that addiction.

Killing users? Certainly! Where's the problem in that. Seriously Let them die. It's their choice and if people with an addictive personality due to a genetic defect all the better, it helps clean the gene pool.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 11:21 PM

Cyanobacteria, that takes some cleaning up.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top