Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2010, 03:01 PM

Dogs and talking to folk

We went to a garden on Sunday;

http://www.grimsthorpe.co.uk/index.php?ID=1.

Unbeknown to us it was also an `Antiques Fair` weekend.

Antiques?-more like mostly tat to me.

Anyway I spotted this very old sheltie walking around and over heard her owners chuntering about what rubbish most of the stuff was.

I went up,stroked the dog and said I agreed-then told the dog she was the only decent `old` thing around.

Why is it easier to speak to strangers and be accepted when they have a dog with them?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2010, 04:46 PM

Re: Dogs and talking to folk

Re the tat, one man's trash, etc. A recent article told of a man who picked up a box of old photographic plates at a flea market some years ago for $45.00, they were recently discovered to be by the renowned photographer Ansel Adams and are valued at mullions!

You never know .....
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
Why is it easier to speak to strangers and be accepted when they have a dog with them?
Because we are a friendly lot
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2010, 09:17 AM

[QUOTE=

Why is it easier to speak to strangers and be accepted when they have a dog with them?[/QUOTE]

Because they can set the dog on you if they don't like you!!!!

June x
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2010, 10:05 AM

My husband discovered long ago that if he had the dogs with him the ladies came up to talk to him.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2010, 09:49 PM

I have made a lot of friends due to my dogs...
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2010, 09:55 PM

It is amazing how people will stop and chat, whether they have a dog or not. Have also made friends when out walking with the Hatti girl-we tend to walk at the same time in a morning, so all the dogs enjoy running together........
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2010, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by merz ->
It is amazing how people will stop and chat, whether they have a dog or not. Have also made friends when out walking with the Hatti girl-we tend to walk at the same time in a morning, so all the dogs enjoy running together........
Or it could be we are just so approachable and friendly up here in Lancashire

June x
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by june1958 ->
Or it could be we are just so approachable and friendly up here in Lancashire

June x
Definitely June Us Lancashire folk are known for our friendliness....
The Tourist
Madison, Wisconsin
The Tourist is male  The Tourist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2010, 02:15 AM

I have a little Bichon, and she has more sense than I do.

She can even talk, no joke.

She used to come to me and whimper when she wanted something to eat. I would ask, "Do you want something?"

She knew what that phrase meant after a bit, and she'd get all excited. One day I was involved in a project and I didn't respond fast enough. I looked down and her, and she made what appeared to be a sneezing jerk with her head.

Out of her mouth came the sound of "Sum pin."

She wanted 'something.'

I told the story to my wife, thinking it was a one time thing, or I had imagined what she said. But she did it again the next day, too!

Once she knew she could get food (or treats) by asking for it, she 'speech' became increasely clear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top