Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 01:53 PM

Re: Do You Give a Tip? How Much? Who To?

If in a restaurant a couple of pounds . My hairdresser a couple of pounds . Never take taxis.

Funnily enough I only ever had one client who tipped me . A lovely old man who lived in a bedsit . Unable to get out and had no visitors . I would call and do his footcare and chat for half an hour . Sometimes take him a piece of chocolate cake bought from a bakers and he always always gave me a £5 tip . I would tell him hed given me too much money , he would reply , no you look after me and I look after you . Hes died now and ill never forget his kindness . . My other clients mostly living in nice homes and wealthy never tipped me , not even 50 pence . They complained if I had to put my footcare service up a £ 1 .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 01:58 PM

I have tipped in restaurants and when we go on holiday abroad we usually leave some currency in the room for the maids for keeping our rooms so clean.

I never tip my hairdresser, although I like how she does my hair she charges a lot and already breaks my bank
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 02:05 PM

We usually add 10% to the bill when out for a meal, and I always put a £5 note in a card for my milkman - rain, hail, or snow - he always delivers the milk. I don't often use taxis but, when I do, if the driver opens the door for me and helps me in with shopping/luggage etc., I give him a tip - otherwise - no.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 02:21 PM

Like most members, I'm a 10%-er (if satisfied with the service) for hotels, restaurants, taxis ......

For regular services rendered, e.g. window-cleaner, gardener, handyman, etc., I usually give the equivalent of an hour's service, usually £10-20, as a "Christmas Box" .....
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 02:31 PM

Hilarious Tedc. And yes, things certainly have changed.
I haven't been on a cruise for about 4 years now but on the last three with P & O Cruiseline on the Arcadia and Azura, they took the details of our credit card upon boarding, and the tips of between £5 - £8 per day to be shared between all of the staff, was deducted from our card. This was not compulsory and passengers could refuse, but then the staff knew which passengers had refused to pay the tips.
Their explanation for doing this rather than letting passengers give personal tips for services well received, is that the staff working below decks, i.e. laundry, cooks etc, never saw the passenger and therefore never received personal tips.

As I say, it is 4 years since we last went on a cruise, so not sure if this still the method used for tipping. I do know that we always left something extra for our steward.

Perhaps someone here knows more.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 02:47 PM

I have given the postie £10 for Christmas and will treat the binmen the same .we have three different collections so only on will get tipped I’m afraid .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 03:45 PM

I tip in restaurants, usually a fiver depending on the cost of the meal.
In pubs I put some extra change in the 'kitchen staff' tin on the bar if I've enjoyed a particularly nice meal.
In taxis I round it up to the nearest £5 or add a couple of extra quid. If the driver is a miserable sod I don't bother.
I round the price of my haircut up too each month.
I have just given the postman his Christmas card and added £10 inside.
Who says Yorkshire folk are tight?

As has been mentioned, tipping is normal in the USA (and on cruises). I understand that waitresses etc are on a low wage and have no problem with leaving tips on my holiday next year.

I even left my consultant surgeon two USB sticks filled with Pink Floyd bootlegs on my way from hospital after a lengthy chat which was more about the band than about my operation!
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 03:47 PM

Here in the states, we tip for literally any service provided to us. Yes, it's expected, and no, I don't mind if the service was given politely.

Some tips I give are: 20% for any meal, coffee, restaurant, bar tabs
$5 to hairdresser for wash, cut
$10 postmaster (at Christmas time)
$ 5 delivery for flowers, gifts, etc.
also make sure to show appreciation with a tip for my neighborhood garage mechanic.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Here in the states, we tip for literally any service provided to us. Yes, it's expected, and no, I don't mind if the service was given politely.

Some tips I give are: 20% for any meal, coffee, restaurant, bar tabs
$5 to hairdresser for wash, cut
$10 postmaster (at Christmas time)
$ 5 delivery for flowers, gifts, etc.
also make sure to show appreciation with a tip for my neighborhood garage mechanic.
This is actually good info, Right Now. I was wondering what the going rate was over there
Is that the general amount in bars and restaurants, and what about taxis?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 08:05 PM

Usually around 10% in our case.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top