Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 10:34 PM

Re: Is being generous really a kindness?

I was having a conversation with my sister not too long ago about what attracted us to our respective partners. She said she always felt that kindness and generosity (where one expects nothing in return) is a very attractive quality in a man. And meanness and selfishness were a big turn off. Is she right?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I was having a conversation with my sister not too long ago about what attracted us to our respective partners. She said she always felt that kindness and generosity (where one expects nothing in return) is a very attractive quality in a man. And meanness and selfishness were a big turn off. Is she right?

There are different kinds of generosity don't you think, Keezoy?
Being generous financially is not so impressive to me, as someone being generous and giving me their time.

I fully agree about kindness and understanding being a very attractive quality.

I also think most women appreciate a man who can make them laugh.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I’m not being rude , I simply told you the truth .
I know what I’m talking about by the way .
This is one way how you get advice ,not by walking into a Benefits office ,whatever one of those is . https://www.adviceuk.org.uk/looking-...nefits-advice/

Swimfeeders is correct by the way .
I’ve spent hundreds on phone calls waiting to get through to the DWP on behalf of people I’ve been working with about their existing claims .
However the Benefits Enquiry Lines are rather good and freephone 0800 055 6688
Call the DWP customer service number 0800 055 6688 free number to make a new benefit claim.
Pass this info to Swimfeeders then, it was him that complained they can't afford the phone calls, yet you are now telling me they can use freephone numbers!

Btw The benefits office that covers my area are usually very helpful... or so I have been told by people who need help from them! I do know a little about benefit claims, my sister has worked in that field for many years!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Pass this info to Swimfeeders then, it was him that complained they can't afford the phone calls, yet you are now telling me they can use freephone numbers!

Btw The benefits office that covers my area are usually very helpful... or so I have been told by people who need help from them! I do know a little about benefit claims, my sister has worked in that field for many years!
Hi

Freephone numbers are now available for claims, they sometimes take hours to respond.

This is not good for people with Mental Health Issues.

It can take days to get through to Universal Credit.

Dialling direct to answer specific queries is not free.

There is a Compulsory 5 week wait for Universal Credit which means that some cannot even afford to charge their phones.

Can we please get away from everything is fine and their are no problems.

There are and they need to be addressed for the most vulnerable.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 02:01 PM

I am not sure how I feel about this & would like to hear others opinions.
As I have said elsewhere I invariably give a few bucks to someone who asks on the street. It is not really being generous because it is not much and a few bucks is neither here nor there to me.

On the other hand I rarely feed wild animals it is probably bad for them.

Though sometimes in winter I might put a few seeds out for the birds and my bird bath is always full

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	200628 001 Bird Feeder.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	13164  
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 02:13 PM

I am not sure how I feel about this & would like to hear others opinions.

I am always generous when feeding animals as I feel humans are often responsible for the fact they are hungry.... but I won't list the reasons as there are too many!

I don't like to see person go hungry either, but if we teach them that somebody else will provide food for them aren't we making them too dependent on that somebody & encouraging them to stop finding ways to feed themselves?
I always think that if you become dependent on another for food, what happens if they stop providing it.... as many will if they lose jobs, owing to the Corona virus?

I just go with what my heart is saying Twink.

In Newbury there are a few homeless people..in town this guy looked so undernourished...my heart said...ask him if he would like a sandwich/drink....he was so appreciate of my offer and well received..so off I go sandwich/coffee bought,delivered.

Same in Uganda I thought I had been scammed..it turns I wasn’t....
I feel the need to play my part by helping this family who are hungry and very poor...
I have been tracking the money I sent it still hasn’t arrived to them..they are so hungry....tracking said it was on route to Uganda...a lot of hungry peeps in Mityana Uganda.poor country..aids are widespread.i believe
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
There are different kinds of generosity don't you think, Keezoy?
Being generous financially is not so impressive to me, as someone being generous and giving me their time.

I fully agree about kindness and understanding being a very attractive quality.

I also think most women appreciate a man who can make them laugh.

Giving time to someone is also very important to me..Mups.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
As I have said elsewhere I invariably give a few bucks to someone who asks on the street. It is not really being generous because it is not much and a few bucks is neither here nor there to me.

On the other hand I rarely feed wild animals it is probably bad for them.

Though sometimes in winter I might put a few seeds out for the birds and my bird bath is always full
Not if they are hungry, but I make a point of finding out if what I give then is safe for them to eat.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

10-07-2020, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Freephone numbers are now available for claims, they sometimes take hours to respond.

There is a Compulsory 5 week wait for Universal Credit which means that some cannot even afford to charge their phones.

If you don't explain any of the problems these people with mental health issues have & why they are having trouble getting money, how do you expect us to understand?

Remember many terrorist claim to have mental health problems when caught!

I don't know anybody who gets Universal credit, so I have no idea what it is, or why they get it. I was just saying that there must be ways of getting help if you don't have a phone. If not and you are so concerned, why don't you help them?
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Absolutely correct.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top