Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2020, 03:04 PM

Re: Covid vaccinations

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have a very simple view of life.

Protect yourself and others.

If a vaccine becomes available, I will have it.

Anyone who refuses it and contracts the virus should be charged the full costs of their medical treatment.
So will I. I wouldn't have said "If" though Swimmy, I would have said "When"
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I won't even consider vaccinations until they've been proved to be safe
Very wise, TessA.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Regarding any vaccine, personally I agree with Tess's comment, and it certainly won't be for me until it has been tried long enough.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51665497
Indeed Mups - I remember Thalidomide !

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Anyone who refuses it and contracts the virus should be charged the full costs of their medical treatment.
Nobody has suggested refusing it, Swimmy, just wanting it properly tested first!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 12:54 PM

Given my family history I'm more likely to die of bowel or breast cancer.
As my mammogram and bowel cancer tests have both been missed so far this year, it's quite possible.
The vaccines have been rushed and usually trials take months or years before the public get them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Given my family history I'm more likely to die of bowel or breast cancer.
As my mammogram and bowel cancer tests have both been missed so far this year, it's quite possible.
The vaccines have been rushed and usually trials take months or years before the public get them.

I agree Tess.

And while we're on the subject, how about this for a bit of conflicting advice!

Would a vaccine protect people of all ages?

It will, almost inevitably, be less successful in older people, because aged immune systems do not respond as well to immunisation. We see this with the annual flu jab.

It may be possible to overcome this by either giving multiple doses or giving it alongside a chemical (called an adjuvant) that gives the immune system a boost.
Who would get a vaccine?

If a vaccine is developed, then there will be a limited supply, at least initially, so it will be important to prioritise.

Healthcare workers who come into contact with Covid-19 patients would top the list. The disease is most deadly in older people so they would be a priority if the vaccine was effective in this age group.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 08:05 PM

In other words - they haven't a clue!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 10:08 AM

https://twitter.com/i/events/1283184709598457857?s=21
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
In other words - they haven't a clue!

I would think very carefully indeed before putting something in the experimental stages into my body.

Inevitably there will be a serious race to produce a vaccine because there are h-u-g-e sums of money to be made out of it - just what their economy needs after the battering most places have taken.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 01:12 PM

Hi

Some interesting news.
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-07-15/...-robert-peston
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

15-07-2020, 02:09 PM

Can't read that link without switching off my ad-blocker.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 02:21 PM

Hi

Here we go.

I am hearing there will be positive news soon (perhaps tomorrow) on initial trials of the Oxford Covid-19 vaccine that is backed by AstraZeneca and supported by tens of millions of pounds of government money.

The first data is due be published in the Lancet.

Apparently the vaccine is generating the kind of antibody and T-cell (killer cell) response that the researchers would hope to see.

That said, the efficacy will only be properly established in the large phase III programme that is under way in the viral epicentre of Brazil, to deliver a large database that assesses safety as well as efficacy.

One source told me: “An important point to keep in mind is that there are two dimensions to the immune response: antibodies and T-cells..

“Everybody is focussed on antibodies but there is a growing body of evidence suggesting that the T-cells response is important in the defence against coronavirus.

As I understand, not all of the many vaccines under development across the world increase both antibodies and T-cells. But the Oxford vaccine looks as though it has this twin effect.

It remains relatively early days: No effective vaccine has ever been developed as rapidly as is being attempted for Covid-19. And there could still be disappointment and failure.

If the Oxford vaccine is proven effective, it could go into mass production as early as September.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top