Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 12:44 PM

Do You Give a Tip? How Much? Who To?

It's so normal, nowadays, that we give tips, to lots of people who provide services.

It almost feels Miserly not to do so.

But in the UK, it seems that we, normally, would only tip if the service given was "above and beyond".

In some Countries, not tipping would bring howls of derision.

I think we, in the UK, would be giving about 10%, in cash, and not expecting to stick it on the credit card when the bill comes.

I tip the postman, the paper boy, a waiter.

Do you?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Re: Do You Give a Tip? How Much? Who To?

In Japan one does not tip, it is considered an insult to the chef or anyone else, implies they don't do their job to an acceptable standard

USA the complete opposite, everyone expects a tip, to me that shows they don't get paid enough doing their job
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 01:01 PM

To be honest, the only people we tip are minicabs when going out for the evening the normally young waiter or waitress when having a dinner out, and my hairdresser.

I also confess that we don't think of percentage when working out a tip for waiting staff. If there are two of us, whether the bill comes to £25 or £80 with wine, we still leave a £5 tip.
If there are four of us, it's a £10 tip. Never any more than that.

With the minicab driver, we never travel that far anyway, usually locally somewhere so it's normally around a £5 fare either way, so £2 is usually the tip paid with the £5 fare either way.

With my hairdresser, if it is just a wash, cut and blowdry,
It may sound mean to some, but it is usually a £2 tip.
If I have a 2 hour hi-lights session though it is always a £5 tip.

It may sound mean to city folk who tip bigger and better, but this is the usual going rate for our family, and I'm sure most other people, here in the countryside.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 01:04 PM

I don't tip anyone.
When I worked in a restaurant the management kept the tips also when we cashed up and the takings were short it was deducted from our wages.
In one kennel in which I worked, when I hand stripped and trimmed clients dogs (which took me hours) large tips were 'given' to me which I never received. One client the Earl of D sent his dog to be trimmed in a chauffeur-driven Rolls Royce, he left large tips none of which I ever saw.

Did I grumble, no that's life and at least I had a job. If I didn't like it the choice was mine to get another job.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Hi

I tip the hairdresser, £1.60, round it up to £10.

Minicab driver gets 60p, the fare is £5.40.

As Shroppy says , we do not tip a lot round here.

I will not be tipping the refuse collectors, messy gits they are.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
In the USA the complete opposite, everyone expects a tip, to me that shows they don't get paid enough doing their job
Indeed:

https://www.qantas.com/travelinsider...n-america.html

Under American federal law, the minimum wage for employees who also earn tips is just US$2.13 an hour
In America, tipping is optional in name only. Legally it’s voluntary but if you slink out of a restaurant without leaving a gratuity of between 15 and 25 per cent, you’re likely to be chased by a waiter demanding to know why. To help you avoid tipping anxiety (and disgruntled waitstaff), we explain how to tip in the United States.
Some of our members who have visited, or, preferably, live in, the USA will, no doubt, be able to verify the above .....
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Indeed:

https://www.qantas.com/travelinsider...n-america.html

Some of our members who have visited, or, preferably, live in, the USA will, no doubt, be able to verify the above .....
.I find that quite astounding! Surely tipping is something the customer gives as a token of appreciation for a service that they feel has been excellent. It shouldn't therefore be forced upon a customer as a price they 'must' pay on top of the bill? that is a form of extortion!

Tipping in America seems almost as bad as when we used to go cruising. The Ship usually took £5 per day for every day you cruised, sharing it among all the staff, but my thought was, if that was the case, what incentive was there for those such as bar staff etc to treat the passenger with the highest regard, when they already had their tips sorted, as much as personal tipping would have done?

Crazy!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 01:30 PM

Omah,

I visited the USA a lot, back in the last millenium, and I agree with what you say, about tipping there.

One thing I would like to add, though, is that, in my experience, the service was nearly always excellent.

Maybe the "Hello, my name is Arthur and I'm here to make sure you have a great experience" was a little over the top, but any suggestion of making sure the customer was happy, back in the UK, wasn't going to happen (back then).

Maybe waiters being paid their tips, and nothing much else, would be a good way to go?

"Pay For Performance" in disguise.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

10-12-2019, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
.I find that quite astounding! Surely tipping is something the customer gives as a token of appreciation for a service that they feel has been excellent. It shouldn't therefore be forced upon a customer as a price they 'must' pay on top of the bill? that is a form of extortion!

Tipping in America seems almost as bad as when we used to go cruising. The Ship usually took £5 per day for every day you cruised, sharing it among all the staff, but my thought was, if that was the case, what incentive was there for those such as bar staff etc to treat the passenger with the highest regard, when they already had their tips sorted, as much as personal tipping would have done?

Crazy!
That brought back a memory, Shrops, of when I was A Radio man on the Cunarder "Franconia". back end of 1955.

We officers dined in the First Class area and we would really enjoy watching the Head Waiter as he spotted diners getting up to leave their tables on the last night of the voyage.

He would spot them from a long way away, drop his shoulders, and run across the dining room, at high speed, to shake hands using a hand which then went to his pocket.

This was repeated, exactly, as we reached each side of the Atlantic.

Hilarious!

Must be different in the modern Cruise Ship.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 01:45 PM

We tip a taxi driver £2 when visiting hospitals - the fare is usually about £18 depending which hospital we go to.

I give my hairdresser between £2 - £4 depending what I have done.

If we go out for a meal, we tip up to £5.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top