Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 05:10 PM

Yappy pups!

I am sitting here - thinking dark thoughts and contemplating puppycide!

Next door to me were supposed to be going to america for a holiday - but - along comes C19 and puts a stop to that. Instead they spent their money on a puppy.

It has an earsplitting yap that could slice concrete at 10 yards and it never stops! They also have an elderly Labrador who used to be so quiet you would not know she was there - now yappy thing and the Lab have competitions to see who can make the most noise and no-one seems to stop them. It is driving me insane!

They open their patio doors at the crack of dawn - just after 5:00am this morning - and both dogs race in and out barking and yapping until bedtime.

I am reluctant to go round and complain as they are a lovely family - have always been peaceful neighbours until now - but I am not sure how much more I can take.

Do puppies eventually grow out of yapping? How soon do they stop?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 07:34 PM

Re: Yappy pups!

I feel for you .... yappy puppies can set your teeth on edge.

Our doggie owners on here might know more or offer tips but I suspect you might have to invest in some ear plugs.

My neighbour has driven me nuts too during this corona lockdown. Their two dogs are better behaved than they are.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 07:54 PM

ST, l think you need to say something and nip it in the bud.
In my experience, yappy dogs never change.

Because you’ve not said anything, then maybe they aren’t aware of the problem?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am sitting here - thinking dark thoughts and contemplating puppycide!

Next door to me were supposed to be going to america for a holiday - but - along comes C19 and puts a stop to that. Instead they spent their money on a puppy.

It has an earsplitting yap that could slice concrete at 10 yards and it never stops! They also have an elderly Labrador who used to be so quiet you would not know she was there - now yappy thing and the Lab have competitions to see who can make the most noise and no-one seems to stop them. It is driving me insane!

They open their patio doors at the crack of dawn - just after 5:00am this morning - and both dogs race in and out barking and yapping until bedtime.

I am reluctant to go round and complain as they are a lovely family - have always been peaceful neighbours until now - but I am not sure how much more I can take.

Do puppies eventually grow out of yapping? How soon do they stop?
Welcome to my world. Next door neighbours have two pugs. Right noisy bastards they are (the dogs that is). Mind you, the neighbours aren't all that quiet either on some occasions.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

Because you’ve not said anything, then maybe they aren’t aware of the problem?
I'd have thought the yapping would have driven the owners mad too!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 11:51 PM

You don't let children do whatever they want, else they will grow up disrespectful and uncaring, and IMO puppy's are not much different.
The neighbours should begin teaching the new one very gently from day one.

Apart from not being fair to the neighbours, it is also not fair to let a new boisterous young pup plague the life out of the old Lab either. The oldies need to rest more.
When the old dog has had enough and finally turns on the youngster, who will they blame?

I think if it continues you will need to say something Tabby.
I can't tell you exactly what, because I don't know the family like you do, but you could try something casual like . . . "I hear you have a new puppy!" rather than "I see you have a new puppy" might be an opener? (With a sweet smile of course).

Maybe they don't even realise you can hear them so loudly, but I would let them know you can before it becomes a habit that won't be easy to break.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 06:55 AM

Good thinking, Mups, and a big "thank you" to everyone for listening to my rant and offering advice.

I feel a bit mean - moaning about it - because, as I said, they are such lovely neighbours in the main. Have to admit it surprised me that they would go for another large breed as our bungalows are not exactly palatial. The pup is a Samoyed - at the moment it looks like a white fluffy cloud with legs - but will grow to almost the same size as the Labrador.

Will see how things go over this week-end then, if no improvement, will have to say something - but gently.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 07:04 AM

Hi

Yappy dogs are so annoying.

You can train them out of it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

04-07-2020, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Yappy dogs are so annoying.

You can train them out of it.
I love dogs - but have never owned one - so wasn't sure, Swimmy, if it was just something that some breeds do.

I assume puppies are much like babies - they cry/yap for attention. It has been much quieter today and, when it has yapped, it has been told off. Maybe someone else has complained.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Good thinking, Mups, and a big "thank you" to everyone for listening to my rant and offering advice.

I feel a bit mean - moaning about it - because, as I said, they are such lovely neighbours in the main. Have to admit it surprised me that they would go for another large breed as our bungalows are not exactly palatial. The pup is a Samoyed - at the moment it looks like a white fluffy cloud with legs - but will grow to almost the same size as the Labrador.

Will see how things go over this week-end then, if no improvement, will have to say something - but gently.

Blimey Tabs, Samoyed's a working dogs. Need lots of exercise and brain stimulation, as well as grooming, so hope your neighbours are an active couple!

. . . and Yes, some breeds are more vocal than others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top