Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 01:33 PM

Covid vaccinations

Hi again

Sorry I've not been around I've been struggling with my mental health after the death of a friend.

Anyway I noticed it has been mentioned online that a vaccination for Covid maybe found in the first half of next year, but in another it had said it maybe 2 years?

Before I had read there would be one before the end of this year... does anyone know which stories are most likely to be the most accurate?

I have a family member who refuses to see anyone until vaccinations are available, as apparently their neighbour made exceptions to see a friend of his, who then unwittingly brought covid to his door, the neighbour is currently on a ventilator fighting for his life! ..so my family member is now refusing to see anyone 'until the pandemic is over or a vaccination has been made'.

They've been in the shielded group too so haven't left the house since March so obviously I'm a little concerned for her mental health too.

Thank you

Susan
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 05:09 PM

Re: Covid vaccinations

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.
I won't even consider vaccinations until they've been proved to be safe
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 05:30 PM

Hi Susan I was hoping you were ok having not seen you around.

No one can say for certain when a vaccine will be ready, there are two possible ones from Oxford and UCL and at least one in production already so if the trials go alright it can be rolled out promptly. I understand health workers will be eligible for vaccination first. My guess would be next spring
I will be first in line
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 08:10 PM

Hi

It's an awfully long time for her to not see anyone and continue living as if we're in strict lockdown!

Of course if there was a second wave then everyone may have to do so again anyway but I'm not sure of the effects of such a long continuous period of isolation considering they live alone so has had no physical contact at all with anyone since March this year. (though we chat on messenger etc).

I'm sure some of it on her part is panic with this happening right next door to her and hard to argue it's safe to meet when she's seen otherwise with her own eyes!
Susan68
Up North, UK

12-07-2020, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.
I won't even consider vaccinations until they've been proved to be safe
yes I kind of agree with you there but in the meantime I'm still at least managing to get out in nature as I have a dog to walk. I go when its quiet but wear a bandana to pull up over face incase I have to pass closer to another dog walker or jogger. Even though I don't go far or see any others I have to admit it does at least make me feel I'm not trapped indoors and I've seen someone (even if it was just a quick wave from the other side of a field/road!).

But my family member has literally not left her house AT ALL since March and saying she won't go out to meet anyone outside or have visitors until the pandemic has gone or there's a vaccine.

Not sure how long she thinks it will take for a pandemic 'to be gone' or if she relaises she could be in there another year or at at very least another 6 months I'd expect???

I guess I'm worried that she's isolating herself much more than she needs to right at this minute while local cases are so low, so its probably the safest it's going to get before they all spike again!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 11:18 PM

They are hoping to roll out in November if an effective vaccine is available. But whether that will happen is anyone's guess. It will be extra important to get a flu vaccine this year because there will be much confusion between the early symptoms of flu being mistaken for Covid and that could put health systems under more pressure than usual.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2020, 12:09 AM

Susan, sorry to hear of your troubles, it has been a difficult time.

Regarding any vaccine, personally I agree with Tess's comment, and it certainly won't be for me until it has been tried long enough.

I don't think anyone can tell you when a vaccine will be out at this stage, but if it is any help, here is an article here which was written just last week.

If you scroll down to near the end, it does explain that it will not be as effective for older people anyway, so have a read and see what you think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51665497
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2020, 07:39 AM

Hi

I have a very simple view of life.

Protect yourself and others.

If a vaccine becomes available, I will have it.

Anyone who refuses it and contracts the virus should be charged the full costs of their medical treatment.
Susan68
Up North, UK

13-07-2020, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Susan, sorry to hear of your troubles, it has been a difficult time.

Regarding any vaccine, personally I agree with Tess's comment, and it certainly won't be for me until it has been tried long enough.

I don't think anyone can tell you when a vaccine will be out at this stage, but if it is any help, here is an article here which was written just last week.

If you scroll down to near the end, it does explain that it will not be as effective for older people anyway, so have a read and see what you think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51665497
Thank you I'll have a read of that.
Susan68
Up North, UK

13-07-2020, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have a very simple view of life.

Protect yourself and others.

If a vaccine becomes available, I will have it.

Anyone who refuses it and contracts the virus should be charged the full costs of their medical treatment.
I'm not saying she will refuse it, she said she won't leave her home or have any visitors until there is one. But if there is not one until next year that means she's living in complete isolation a really long time and I was worried on the effects of her mental health considering she's already been alone isolated since March.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top