Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 01:15 PM

Advise On Fuse Amperage... Please, Please.

Last night, as l was going to bed. I switched the ceiling lights on in my bedroom but there was a ?snap and the lights went off.
I tried the light in my en suite but that and the fan in there, weren’t working either.

I knew then that the fuse in the socket near the ceiling in the bedroom had fused. I flicked the switch on the socket, over the en-suite door but that made no difference.
I used my bedside light for light and decided to change the fuse this morning.

I switched the electricity off at the mains. Balancing precariously on a chair, l proceeded to remove the bit where the fuse slots in but the fuse fell out and l think it went down behind the fixed mirror below it.
This meant, l didn’t know what fuse amperage to use. I decided to try a 5 amp. It was fiddly to insert and l thought there might have been a click when it slotted in but it didn’t, yet it seemed ok.
I switched the electricity on but still not working. I switched the electricity off and tried again using a 13 amp fuse. Still not working.

I switch the electricity back on at the mains but no power in the house at all. I started to panic but decided to consult google, which said, to lift the RDC switch back up. I did and power was restored.

I still have no lights or fan in my bedroom and bathroom. I have scanned the socket to see if it states the amperage but it doesn’t. I wonder if anyone could advise me?

Here are pics of the two sockets.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	E20CF10A-0AB1-4C3D-887F-34F37E83E4D0.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	13207   Click image for larger version

Name:	9F5DF148-7CC4-43C4-A05D-16AEE2E917DC.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	13208  
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 01:43 PM

Re: Advise On Fuse Amperage... Please, Please.

3Amp should suffice. If it still trips, then there is a short somewhere.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 01:44 PM

Can you take a piccie of the main consumer unit (the one with the RCD in)?
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 02:17 PM

As previously said, probably tripped the breaker for that particular circuit on consumer board.

ETA Judd is your man.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 02:38 PM

Sorry, for the delay but l have been pulling out stuff in the bedroom in case the missing fuse, didn’t go down the back of the mirror.
This is my consumer unit....

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C07D452-B6B5-4199-90B1-28775330572C.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	13209  
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

14-07-2020, 02:48 PM

You won’t believe this, l have just found the missing fuse in my coat pocket that was hanging on the back of the bedroom door near the area of the fuse socket. What’s the odds of that happening?
I had searched everywhere!
It’s a 5 amp fuse!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

14-07-2020, 03:31 PM

Yeah! Result. I have got lights and a fan working now!
It took two tries as the fiddly fuse being inserted at a height, slipped out of my hand. I heard it fall but didn’t know where. This time it had gone in a large bag l have.

There are some spookies about today!

Thank You all so much for helping me. I am sorry if l’ve been a time waster..
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 05:18 PM

If the fuse should trip again, I suggest that you have an electrician look at it. It is entirely possible that the fan is the culprit. It may have an intermittent short.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 06:01 PM

I have known even for a ceiling light failing causing a trip switch to operate. Art there is a very useful gadget which is easy to check power sockets.

when you plug it into a socket and switch on if all 3 light come on (as in photo) your socket wiring is ok.

for £15 a great way of checking without calling in an electrician. If one of the lights doesn't come on the checkplug tells you via the front label prints.

How much would it cost to get an electrician in to check all your socket outlets?????

I can highly recommend you get one, then you can tell an electrician exactly what is wrong and sound so knowledgeable

link to newer version than mine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Martindale-...s%2C154&sr=8-2
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 07:20 PM

Yes 'Realspeed' is correct, every home should have one

There's lots of places sell them, if you have a Screwfix near you they will have them.

So easy to use and tells you so much and as mentioned if you do find a socket that is incorrectly wired you can tell the electrician and (s)he will be well impressed

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top