Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 10:54 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by solo ->
No chance of asking you to join in singing Oh you Chitty Chitty Bang Bang then Jem !
Chitty chitty bang bang, I’ve never seen that film, nor Mary Poppins, nor the Sound of Music, I’m not mad about musicals ever since Phyllis dragged me to see Elvis in “Blue Hawaii” in our courting days.

The wife told me to buy a car
Or she would leave me sunk
So I told her to go and get one herself
And I’ll go away and become a Monk.

Albeit it a very old Monk, I believe they even have cell phones now.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 10:57 PM

Watched an old film/documentary yesterdy about public reaction at the time Orson Welles broadcast his “War of the Worlds” radio play in 1938, it was called “The Night America Trembled” made for TV in 1957 and lasting nearly an hour. I spotted a young James Coburn and an even younger Warren Oates in it before they became well known.
Not a bad little film, plenty of facts with a few personal stories thrown in, like the young girl babysitter listening to the radio while the baby is asleep, she gets into such a state that she’s sobbing “It’s the end of the World” and phones the parents to come home as quick as they can.
You also get a good insight of how these radio programs are put together. a lot more goes into them than I’d imagined.
It just goes to prove how powerful the media is and always was, many’s the lie was written in stone too.
If anyone is interested you’ll find it on utube, there are worse ways to pass an hour.

Here’s a short clip of the original Welles broadcast.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 07:46 AM

Wasn't the Great Flood penned by Orson Wellies.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 10:05 AM

LOL spitty....Nah your just flim flamming us with that one .

Jem..some great quotes about this broadcast...this one sums it up pretty well... "My grandmother always hated Orson Welles for scaring the bejeezus out her with this broadcast."
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

09-03-2020, 11:07 PM

The grannies are always right.
Whenever we had unusually bad weather back in the late 1950's (and strange as it may seem to some, we had unusually bad weather then just as we have now, most times it was worse than now) my old granny use to say "It's all them rockets they're sending up" and she really believed it too.

I went up to bed earlier than usual last night as I felt very tired, but for the life of me I just couldn’t nod off, I tossed and turned in the bed so much that the wife got annoyed with me and said if you can’t sleep go down and make yourself a cup of coffee then come back up to bed, coffee actually helps me sleep and not stay awake as it does with some folks.
When I had me coffee I decided to check to see were the two sheds locked, the little one was but the bigger one was not, when I went inside the place was like an oven, I had left the bottled gas heater on, there are some chemicals and inflammables there and God knows what could have happened. I breathed a sign of relief then went back to bed and slept like a baby.
Strange how sometimes you get warnings that something is wrong, someone up there likes me.

Well that’s St. Paddy’s Day knocked on the head for the kids, no parade in Dublin and Cork, but I suppose it’s a wise decision, folks from all over the World come to see it every year and God knows where they’ve been.
What baffles me is that when a new strain of flu comes along they have a vaccine for it before you can say Jack Robinson, they issue it free to the public and actually encourage them to take advantage of it, especially the old people, why is it taking so long to find the answer to this new flu type virus?, I get a sneaky feeling this thing will be dragged out for a good few months to come, something doesn’t smell right here.
But don’t mind me I’m a suspicious old git, especially where governments have dug their snouts in deep as is the case here. Direct attention elsewhere when you want to slip something slimy in the back door.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 11:13 PM

Yep Jem, AI should have sorted it by now.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2020, 01:37 PM

They do say that behind every disaster there is a silver lining....

Hello Dear

I'm down the pub with the lads having a quiet drink

Unfortunately someone just coughed everywhere all over the place so we have been quarantined

See you in 14 days

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

10-03-2020, 11:55 PM

Some people have all the luck, enjoy your stay there Solo, you know I would.

My eldest grandson (21) was here today, he’s off college for a while and dropped in to see us around lunch time, I took Phyllis and him up to the pub for lunch and a pint.
We were talking about married people and how they begin to resemble each other if they stay together long enough, you know like dogs and their owners.
He was telling us about an online service based somewhere in Germany where you can send away a photo of your girl/boy friend and for a fee they will be able to digitally work on it and be able to send you back a photo of how that person will look 50 years from now, he said he knows a fella who did this and when he got the photo back he promptly broke it off with his girlfriend.
Of course this annoyed Phyllis, who called yerman all the names she could think of “The bloody cheek of him”, all I could say was it’s pity the service wasn’t around years ago, it would have saved a lot of heartbreak for all us young lads who fell hopelessly in love with the screen idols, the likes of Ursula Andress and Sophia Loren, and look at how badly some of them have weathered over the years, Brigitte Bardot springs to mind.
“Shurrup you” says she.

I’m just wondering now, if you were young again and if your girl/boy friend asked you for a photo to send away for a sort of age analysis would you be pleased or vexed? it wouldn’t bother me to be honest, all I’d take from that is she’s interested in a very long term relationship.

Personally I’d stick with with the old tried and tested way, just take a look at her mother.

solo
UK

11-03-2020, 11:17 AM

Not me Jem but can you imagine getting that message..doesn't bear thinking of

Never been much of a pub goer thanks to 2 things. 1) my Mothers sniffy dislike (bless her) of seeing young kiddies parked outside on pub steps in all weathers with a bag of Smiths crisps to keep em quiet...whilst the parents were inside getting legless.

2) Hearing the clatter of dustbin lids where dinners were chucked in the bin by cursing angry wives who had slaved over a hot stove to put a Sunday dinner on the table for errant husbands who were still in the pub instead of coming home at the promised time.

And thats when the fights started
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

11-03-2020, 11:24 PM

The first time I came home late for dinner was after work when I went into the pub with some friends, one of which had won a couple of thousand at the Cheltenham racing festival, the wife let it go that once but said if I was late again it would be left in the oven and she would not be responsible for how it tasted, fair enough, she had taken the trouble to cook it, however it wasn't long before I got sick of eating stale crusted dinners and went back to regular eating hours.

I went out to the shops with herself today, a very rare thing that, as we approached the doors of Lidl I was shocked to see groups of women coming out smothered in toilet rolls as they headed for their cars.
I should have thought buying extra food was more important, there are alternatives to bog roll if it runs out but there's no alternative for food.
I know we were all told to save our own arses, but do we have to take it literally, I suppose with some it's a case of piles of food or just piles.

This lady looks one happy bummie, she ordered 48 toilet rolls and they sent her out 48 boxes of them, 2.3000 in all, she'll have more than her eye wiped with that lot.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top