Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 11:37 PM

Japanese Knotweed

No doubt most of us know how dreadful this plant is, and how it can badly effect our properties.
What I didn't know though, was now scientists at Swansea University are now saying it is impossible to eradicate!

They have spent 5 years experimenting with 19 different ways of controlling the plant, and not one of them was successful.

They say it spreads 1ft a week, and the rhizomes are powerful enough to break through tarmac and brick walls.
Homeowners may well be unable to get insurance or even a mortgage if this weed is reported on their property, or even in an adjacent garden!

Nasty stuff ey, but how will the experts deal with it I wonder?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 11:43 PM

Re: Japanese Knotweed

I learned about Japanese know weed from Jeffrey Archer he described in one of his books.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I learned about Japanese know weed from Jeffrey Archer he described in one of his books.
"A Prisoner of Birth"?

Good story!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 06:18 AM

There is lots of it down one side of a road near to where I live. Before I knew what it was I used to drive by and think how pretty it was. What I don't understand is it spreads by root invasion so how did it get there?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
"A Prisoner of Birth"?

Good story!

That's the one !
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 09:43 AM

When I was still working, I was on the Planning Group for a major building development incorporating a Surestart Centre, Youth Centre and Community Centre. When the builders were excavating for the foundations, they discovered Japanese Knot Weed on the land. As I recall it cost us some £50,000 to eradicate it. Every single inch of soil had to be dug up, taken away for treatment and replaced with clean soil and concrete.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 12:31 PM

The first time, l ever heard about Japanese Knotweed was about fourteen years ago, just before we bought where l live now.

We had looked at another property, a new build of just three houses. The one we looked at was beautiful, until we went to look at the garden.
Chris (ex) pointed at a tiny plant growing at the edge of the lawn by the fence and said, ‘That is Japanese Knotweed growing there’. He then explained how bad it was!

We did inform the agent but l don’t know what the outcome was.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 01:28 PM

If it's not possible to destroy it, then I suppose eventually the whole planet will be full of the stuff. I have bindweed coming through from next door and that is bad enough.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
No doubt most of us know how dreadful this plant is, and how it can badly effect our properties.
What I didn't know though, was now scientists at Swansea University are now saying it is impossible to eradicate!

They have spent 5 years experimenting with 19 different ways of controlling the plant, and not one of them was successful.

They say it spreads 1ft a week, and the rhizomes are powerful enough to break through tarmac and brick walls.
Homeowners may well be unable to get insurance or even a mortgage if this weed is reported on their property, or even in an adjacent garden!

Nasty stuff ey, but how will the experts deal with it I wonder?
A small nuclear bomb would sort it out....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
A small nuclear bomb would sort it out....
Titter!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top