Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 08:54 PM

Re: All things Astronomical

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
The South Sky is great for me, sweeping views from the East to the West which is handy for the ISS...

Exciting news...maybe....I have never seen a decent meteor shower in this Country but the Perseid meteor show happens on the night of the 11th and 12th of August, I am actually in Canada at that time so will try and catch it out there, details in the link below...

https://www.space.com/32868-perseid-...ource=facebook
Wow! Yes, hopefully you should get a great uninterupted view. Like you, I have sat up waiting for them and have seen a few but nothing like 'The sky lit up like fireworks' reports.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Wow! Yes, hopefully you should get a great uninterupted view. Like you, I have sat up waiting for them and have seen a few but nothing like 'The sky lit up like fireworks' reports.
Every year you get the hyped up stories about it being great and every year I see nothing maybe it’s because I am in a City, I might be more remote on those dates in Canada so will see.....
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:16 PM

I shall look out but won't hold my breath, never seen one yet

Mind I saw my first ever shooting star 30th June
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:21 PM

This is brilliant news, I travel to Guernsey on the tenth of August and the hotel faces South on the edge of a cliff. It's quite remote with no light pollution. We go to the same hotel and stay in the same room every year. Last year I remember waking up in the early hours, and looking through the window revealed a magnificent clear sky with thousands of stars. I must have just stood and stared for almost an hour...
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I shall look out but won't hold my breath, never seen one yet

Mind I saw my first ever shooting star 30th June
Did you make a wish

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
This is brilliant news, I travel to Guernsey on the tenth of August and the hotel faces South on the edge of a cliff. It's quite remote with no light pollution. We go to the same hotel and stay in the same room every year. Last year I remember waking up in the early hours, and looking through the window revealed a magnificent clear sky with thousands of stars. I must have just stood and stared for almost an hour...
Now all you need is for the weather to cooperate! sounds like an ideal place to see them though if it is clear
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
Did you make a wish

Now all you need is for the weather to cooperate! sounds like an ideal place to see them though if it is clear

Nooooooooooo

was so quick I wasn't even sure I had seen it lol
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Re: Mars

I got up at 03:15 this morning, looked South and there it was, as red and as clear as anything. I tried looking through binoculars but I was too tired to keep my hands still.
I saw this too Longdogs. Quite bright and red. I was up at 2:30am and my lounge faces south so have a really good view of the southern sky.
I have to be honest and admit I didnt know it was Mars but suspected it but was unable to find a website to confirm what I was seeing.

If anybody can suggest an easy to decipher website of whats visible and whats about to be visible would be helpful to a total amateur but interested person like me.
DWebb
North East, UK

10-07-2018, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I saw this too Longdogs. Quite bright and red. I was up at 2:30am and my lounge faces south so have a really good view of the southern sky.
I have to be honest and admit I didnt know it was Mars but suspected it but was unable to find a website to confirm what I was seeing.

If anybody can suggest an easy to decipher website of whats visible and whats about to be visible would be helpful to a total amateur but interested person like me.
This sky chart is not too bad....

https://astronomynow.com/uk-sky-chart/

just a case of putting in the date and times and it shows you what is up there

This is the South at 1am and looks like Saturn is up there as well....

Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->

This site's not bad either, concentrates on the planets in the solar system and doesn't confuse matters with the stars.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/night/uk/london

You can set it for your location.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 10:57 AM

Hi DWebb. Thank you for the link. I have quickly tried it out and have now bookmarked it for future use.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top