Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 11:10 PM

Amazon Prime

Just trying to order something on Amazon only to find several 'layers' of persuasion to join Amazon Prime.

I don't know if anyone else has found this, but it is so easy to inadvertently fall for this. I did.

Fortunately, I noticed it in time and have managed to cancel immediately, hopefully without having lost any money.

However, I find these tactics on Amazon's behalf to be unacceptably underhand. My mother-in-law also fell for this ploy but was unaware of what she had done. Marge discovered her mistake later and ensured it was cancelled without any further payments.

I'd advise any members who shop on Amazon to take care.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 08:48 AM

Re: Amazon Prime

My daughter has Amazon Prime which saves her a lot of money as she has several orders a week from that company. If I require anything from Amazon she orders it for me, which saves me money too.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 08:57 AM

I manage to get away without paying postage to Amazon. I have no need for Prime!

If I get to my payment page & discover I'm being charged postage I abandon the order & get it from ebay who never seem to charge postage.

Other times Amazon require you to spend a certain amount to get free postage so I order a book or something to make the amount up. It doesn't bother me as I'm always ordering books. Can't have too many.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
My daughter has Amazon Prime which saves her a lot of money as she has several orders a week from that company. If I require anything from Amazon she orders it for me, which saves me money too.
Yes but JBR is not disputing that. He is talking about their underhand tactics to get people to join.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 09:03 AM

I found myself subscribed to it and to this day i.m not sure how. I only knew when I checked our bank statement and it had a charge on there for I think £7.99. luckily it's easy to unsubscribe . I don't order enough for it to be profitable.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Just trying to order something on Amazon only to find several 'layers' of persuasion to join Amazon Prime.

I don't know if anyone else has found this, but it is so easy to inadvertently fall for this. I did.

Fortunately, I noticed it in time and have managed to cancel immediately, hopefully without having lost any money.

However, I find these tactics on Amazon's behalf to be unacceptably underhand. My mother-in-law also fell for this ploy but was unaware of what she had done. Marge discovered her mistake later and ensured it was cancelled without any further payments.

I'd advise any members who shop on Amazon to take care.
I have noticed this JBR and as you say, you have to be careful what you click on.

Those who order from Screwfix may have noticed a similar tactic where a box opens offering a discount if you order in bulk. Unless you cancel it, the bulk order ends up in your your basket.

I suppose it's a bit like donating your kidneys, you have to opt out rather than in.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 09:10 AM

JB something similar happened to me a couple of years ago, I noticed £70 had gone out of my account for membership of Prime and I wasn't even aware I had joined I always choose the free 3 day delivery option when available and must have inadvertently ticked the other free Prime option and the wrong box .
A lot of people were similarly caught out at the time according to Google and the misleading layout on Amazon was changed. I notice a similar layout has emerged of late.
I got my money back instantly following a curt letter about misleading people verging of fraud.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 10:01 AM

Yep hold my hand up I was caught a year ago but managed to get my money back (70+ pounds) my son now has prime so we order through him and save quite a bit by doing so.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have noticed this JBR and as you say, you have to be careful what you click on.

Those who order from Screwfix may have noticed a similar tactic where a box opens offering a discount if you order in bulk. Unless you cancel it, the bulk order ends up in your your basket.

I suppose it's a bit like donating your kidneys, you have to opt out rather than in.
I hadn't noticed that on Screwfix, but then I don't often buy from them.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-08-2018, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
JB something similar happened to me a couple of years ago, I noticed £70 had gone out of my account for membership of Prime and I wasn't even aware I had joined I always choose the free 3 day delivery option when available and must have inadvertently ticked the other free Prime option and the wrong box .
A lot of people were similarly caught out at the time according to Google and the misleading layout on Amazon was changed. I notice a similar layout has emerged of late.
I got my money back instantly following a curt letter about misleading people verging of fraud.
Yes, I think they are becoming more underhand lately. I have always been happy to use Amazon, but am beginning to dislike them because of this attitude.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top