Join for free
Page 9 of 98 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 12:13 PM

Re: Premium Bonds

We are spending some of our savings on having cruises as we didn't get a chance earlier when we had our own animal boarding establishment. Some has been and is being spent on getting the house as we want it after buying the house.
Also going out to visit places locally as we have joined the National Trust.

So Emjay try going on a cruise and see different countries. The cruise line people cater for all situations they are fantastic at doing it
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 12:38 PM

Apart from buying cars, which is my luxury item, I have no wish to do anything else with my money. I have always disliked holidays and don't even envisage going back to my home island nowadays, I have let my passport lapse.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 01:19 PM

I would very much like to go on cruises, but my wife with her disabilities could not.
Last year I had to sell my holiday chalet, as it did not cater for her needs. Conversions to rectify this was not an option.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 01:25 PM

That's really sad Emjay. I've seen adverts in The Oldie for assisted holidays for disabled people. Perhaps you're not old enough but if they do them for oldies, surely other companies do them for younger people.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 02:17 PM

I started buying my bonds back in the 70s through the firm I was working at. I believe we paid £1 a week, then got ours at 10 weeks, by which time they were eligible to go in the draw.

I may have bought £50 worth, added £100 just a few years ago. Had one win about 2 years ago, of £25. After all this time! However, because I want to use some of my money on home improvements I am not tying it up in bonds anymore, and I shan't miss the £50 going out each month to buy more bonds.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Bottom line is that all Lotto's, however they are presented, are for suckers. The odds are vastly stacked against you.
The odds of winning the Premium Bonds Jackpot is 1 in 27 BILLION !

The odds of winning the National Lottery Jackpot when it first began were 1 in 14 MILLION.

Either way, ridiculous odds.
Yes but the odds you quoted are for owning a £1 bond if you own more bonds the odds will come down percentage wise for the chance of winning the big prize

True the chance of buying a lottery ticket for £1 and winning the Jackpot was as you say 1 in 14 million the only difference is with the bond you still kept your £1 to try again each month with the lottery you lose your pound.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Yes but the odds you quoted are for owning a £1 bond if you own more bonds the odds will come down percentage wise for the chance of winning the big prize
This is a vain hope TBH and one that people should avoid falling for.

If you had the maximum bonds of £50,000 then your odds of winning the jackpot come down from 27 billion to 1 in 540,000. That's still a ridiculous proposition imo.

And there is something terribly unhealthy about 540,000 people each giving a company £50,000 in order to participate at those odds. Giving someone £27 billion is not a good thing to do. Money leads to power and corruption.

All these kind of schemes are insipid and corrupt imo. Give the ordinary man in the street an almost impossible chance of a big payout and take in huge amounts of money which can be exploited. These things are not healthy for society.

They are the mechanisms of a greedy corporate elite to take money from ill-informed simple yet vulnerable people.

What should be happening is that the government should be educating ALL people how to make money from the money they own. Instead we have the Eton college "city boys" revelling in their malicious abilities to "steal candy from babies" and a large populous of significantly poor people struggling to find work, struggling to make ends meet. The former perpetually set traps and pitfalls for the latter to fall prey to. It needs to be stopped.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 09:38 PM

Some people don't focus on winning huge amounts but find a steady trickle of smaller wins make it a worthwhile investment. When I had them I certainly earned more than any other investment offered at the time. Ok, it's not guaranteed, but if you hold the maximum allowed chances are that you will get a fairly steady small income from them.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
if you hold the maximum allowed chances are that you will get a fairly steady small income from them.
Yep, it is proven. But that means putting £50,000 in and that "fairly steady small income" is just 1% for someone with average luck. Not really worth it imo.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2016, 08:39 PM

3 wins this month £100...£25 and another £25.

Page 9 of 98 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top