Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2019, 05:07 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

“I ain't buying no more Opal Fruits”
Jaysus Spitty, did you have to say that! I used to like them, now I’ll never sleep in the same house as an opal fruit. Good job I don’t drive, there is a car of that name too I believe.
Saying that word to me is like saying “Macbeth” to an old theatre actor, they refer to it as “The Scottish Play” and when someone says it they have to go outside and turn around three times then come back in.

I remember when those “Mood Stones” came out first Solo, all a big con based on the old red for anger, green for envy, blue for sad, etc. I don’t need any aids to detect moods in people, just one glance at the missus and I know whether to say something or keep me mouth shut.

An interesting tit bit about the Orloff Diamond.

“Over the years, the blueish diamond found its way to Amsterdam where Grigori Orloff, a Russian Count, was residing. He was the ex-lover of Empress Catherine the Great. He bought the stone for 90,000 pounds and brought it to Russia for Catherine. Orloff named the stone after himself. Catherine mounted the stone in the Imperial Sceptre. In exchange for the Orloff, she gave a marble palace to her friend Grigori. Unfortunately, the stone could not help Grigori to win Catherine’s love. Heartbroken, he died in 1783. In 1812, the Russian people hid The Orloff diamond in a priest’s tomb. They feared Napoleon was about to enter Moscow.*Supposedly, Napoleon found the Orloff and was about to claim it when a priest’s ghost appeared and cursed his army. And Napoleon scampered away without the Orloff.”

Here today, gon tomorrow.

Watching a western this afternoon, Robert Mitchum is playing a Mexican revolutionary, wonderful dialogue too.

“Where are de gons?”
“What gons?”
“De 12 repeating Gons”
“Oh them gons, 11 are in de wagon, the other gon eez gone”

Wonderful ain’t it! Mitchum's Mexican accent was very funny.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2019, 10:52 PM

Hello Guys.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 08:03 AM

Hello Sweetie, where U Bin.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 10:48 AM

Taking the mick out of the oz accent could be a dodgy thing to do Jem so watch out for low flying bomerangs coming your way

Used to love going to the cinema even though being petite meant I often viewed films through someones lug holes or hairdo but what with this all round realistic sound being so unrealistically loud and not being able to hear an unrealistic Aussie let alone what an unrealistic Geordie was saying I gave up but have you noticed.....

Its just as bad at home with the TV. With some channels even with the remote turned full up you have to sit on top of it to hear what they are saying and then they mumble...the actually mumble in accent. I am paying to listen to an actor accently mumbling..and whats worse is he is getting paid to mumble.

Keep muttering "Quiet dignity and grace"

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Hello Sweetie, where U Bin.
Traveling the net. lol
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 09:55 PM

And hello to you too Sweetie.

Love that film, and Marty Feldman singing “I ain’t got no body” Wasn’t Teri Garr just gorgeously sexy in her role, well l'm sure she would be even more sexy without her role-on.

“Mumble in accent” how very observant of you Solo , my cranky old paternal grandfather used to do that in his Mullingar accent, I thought that was impossible, my ears are playing tricks on me, but no, there he was mumbling away, he could even grunt in his native accent, yes he was a very cranky old lad indeed and I vowed I’d never turn out like him, I honestly can say that I never saw him smile, it’s not fair to be cranky with the ones who love you and have to live with you, a few kind words and a smile never harmed anyone.

There’s a thought, could you tell where a person was from by their laugh? a lot of Kerry folk have a high pitched laugh. I also noticed that most women have a tiny compact sneeze (tish!) while most males have loud sneezes (Ahhhhhhhh-tissssshhhh-uuuuu), is that the reason for man sized tissues and smaller women’s tissues?

“One day a spark will fly out from a dying fire, this one spark will light up and inspire a whole new generation” (Chief Sitting Bull)
Wonder who it will be?

Doesn’t Teri look great in this shot, oh to be Gene Wilder for a day.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 11:52 PM

She has Spangly Boobs, I'll give her that.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 11:24 AM

Oh to be a film star for the day and who would not want to be when you see a lovely photo like that.

Those old black and white photographs had far more impact than coloured ones or maybe it's because our generation were more influenced by b/w.

Of all the stark photos you see and remember of events like WW 1/2, Hiroshima, Vietnam etc its the b/w ones that stick in your mind. Colour may show the gore but that isn't always necessary to leave an impression on you. The burnt baby shaking in Hiroshima and the little girl running in Vietnam needed no more than B/W to stay with you forever.

Seeing Marty Feldman reminded me... I have followed a story about the Staffordshire 3 million war hoard find back in 2009. You can just picture Marty lurking in some long forgotten field grasping a spade and a bagfull of gold things trying to keep an eye out for the baddies so he can bury the gold. Anyway the find caused a bit of bitter bother as it usually does between the finder and the field owner. ,

As a jeweller Jem you will appreciate the workmanship that made these beautiful objects. And spitty you can admire the spangly bits

The Find
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...chaeology.html

The Feud
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ire-hoard.html
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

03-11-2019, 04:52 PM

I am going on a cruise next week.
I will do a photo thread.
I wonder what the entertainment will be like.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

03-11-2019, 10:01 PM

We are used to the black and white photography Solo, some of the old films that are digitally remastered are as crisp and clear as the day they were shot, I enjoy watching them and there are so many to choose from, easier on me old eyes too.
Recently I tried to watch a “coloured in” version of Laurel and Hardy but it was terrible, I had to turn it off and get the black and white version to get to the end of it, ah well, that’s the way we enjoyed our films.

I read about that gold find, what a great discovery for present and future generations to enjoy, gold masterpieces made with great skill and patience with only basic tools, none of your electric drills, ready rolled precious metal sheets or polishing motors, all done by hand, melted and hammered out, old works like that never fail to impress and amaze me.

Sad about the feud arising between old friends, but that’s what greed is famous for, people falling out with each other, even killing each other.

I particularly love the chasing on the helmet, very fine and accurate, which brings me back to hammers again.
I have a good selection of hammers, my favourite being a French chasing hammer, I used to do most of my chasing using this which was given to me as a memento by a great French chaser by the name of Herbert Le Bas when he was returning to his native Paris in 1972. Now deceased rest his kind soul.
Chasing is as old as gold, probably the most famous chaser of them all is Italy’s Giacomo Girolamo Casanova, well him and Ankle the Irish chaser who won three Cheltenham gold cups and proudly stands as my avatar.
I once chased three Russian milkmaids and a cow around a silver urn, (never caught one, I slipped in the cow shit and they got away ) commissioned to hold the ashes of a well known racehorse trainer, that was back in 1974. Ah the thrill of the chase, happy days.

Here is a fine example of a chaser at work on a bigger scale, note how relaxed he is, it’s most enjoyable work, the piece he’s working on is resting on a huge blob of wax cement so as not to distort the basic bowl shape during the hammering, and he’s using the blowtorch to heat the bowl up so it will sink into the wax, also to get it out again when he's finished.
The hammering might give you a headache so it’s best to keep the sound down or off, it’s not needed anyway as you can see exactly what he’s doing.
His hammer is almost the exact same French chasing hammer I used to use.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top