Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 08:45 AM

Teachers working long hours

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/e...-a9108731.html

School teachers complain often about the amount of hours they have to work, often up to 60 per week according to reports (typically, above).

Quite rightly they do have their own homework to do, marking books etc., but are they really so hard done by? Their wage is good and reflects their hours and the pressure they can be under.

Does their 12-13 weeks holiday per year offset their complaining though or are they justified in their whinging?

Many people get between 20-28 working days per year for a far lesser wage.

If I had three months paid holiday per year including all those lovely summertime days off I would be fairly satisfied I think. They want to try working nights.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 09:28 AM

Re: Teachers working long hours

Not much knowledge about the system in the UK but it couldn't be too much different from here. In a previous life I had a girlfriend who was a high school teacher. She taught in a good school in a middle class area of Sydney: Eastwood to be exact for anybody who's interested. There was very little bad behaviour from the students - many of them of Asian background - There was a good cohesion among the staff and the school was well resourced. But..she was still under enormous pressure all the time and she would often be working at home late into the night doing work she had brought home. During school holidays she was expected to go to in-service courses and also still go to school to catch up on other work. In many cases the "Teachers are always on holidays" is a myth. But as I said..That is here.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 09:29 AM

They go to school as kids then grow up to teach in schools ,so they have no idea other than school life. Teaching may be hard, that is not in dispute, but when they start to moan about how long they work and what they get paid that gets up peoples noses. Do they think they are the only ones that do long hours and have a difficult job?
Running your own business also requires a lot of work out of hours as well. Close of the day is only to stop more clients turning up ,not the end of the working day
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 09:35 AM

They go to school as kids then grow up to teach in schools ,so they have no idea other than school life.

Realspeed, it's even more of a problem where, when at college, they meet and marry another teacher! Some of the best teachers I have known were in industry prior to taking up teaching.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 09:43 AM

Rhian will be after you lot with whatever is the Welsh equivalent of a shillelagh!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 09:58 AM

The answer is probably in the reason why so many teachers are leaving the well paid job with 3 months holiday per year.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 10:41 AM

The teaching profession, and it is a profession, is a classic example of Parkinson's Law in action and at all levels.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Rhian will be after you lot with whatever is the Welsh equivalent of a shillelagh!
I'd definitely like to hear Rhian's point of view, Tabby.
I don't think we are critising teachers, just thecway they complain about working long hours all the time. Many people in other trades work long hours too and just accept it. It pays the bills and they have a job.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 12:25 PM

Hi

Some teachers, the good ones, put in a huge amount of hours, not just marking but out of hours activities.

Others do not.

My Ex next but one neighbours where a married couple, one Head of English at a Secondary School, the other Head of Maths at the same school.

Apart from Parents Evening, which they did complain about, they refused to do anything outside school hours.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 12:43 PM

There is no doubt that there is an element of dissatisfaction among the teaching profession, but can you blame them?

Rather than spending time educating our youth about subjects in which they are interested and trying to impart a thirst for knowledge, teachers nowadays are expected to take on what used to be parental duties to those children whose family life is not what they deserve, looking out for their emotional welfare.

Not only teachers either - the School Nurse at our local secondary school goes into our feeder primaries to teach pupils how to brush their teeth!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top