Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 07:16 PM

Re: tree preservation order puzzle

Interesting thread,out the back but some of the branches over hang ours and a neighbours garden there is an Oak,a branch has broken away,not sure if the tree is diseased,but the land its on belongs to some one other than the council,who should be my first port of call regarding it,any ideas.

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 07:35 PM

I would think you need to find out the owner of the land that the tree is on caricature and also find out from the council if it has a t.p.o on it. If it hasn't you are allowed to cut off any branches which overhang your property. However, with something of that size it will cost you as you will need to get a someone who knows what they are doing to do the job. Any cut branches remain the property of the tree owner and they can go back onto his land. Perhaps you might be lucky and when you find the owner he will agree to cut it back of his own accord. If it has a t.p.o on it the council will tell you and the owner what you can and cannot do. It's an expensive business cutting trees when they have to be done professionally. Good luck.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Make up a very strong solution of sodium chlorate and I mean very strong and drench round the roots of the trees.

May need to do it three or four times, and it'll take some time to do the trick but it can be done surreptitiously at night and in strong solution is not obvious come daybreak whereas just sprinkling the stuff on the ground it would be visible.

Moreover there will be a few weeks between application and dieback. Best done in spring but anytime works.

Big lots of Sodium Chlorate can be bought on eBay or agriculture suppliers or even garden centres.

Of course you could just get the things set on fire by someone while your out and so creating a good alibi! Being full of oil once started with a bit of petrol or kerosine they burn like good 'uns. Sorted.

Kerosene on the roots will kill them too .
Stuck a pipe in the ground from your side and dose with kerosene .
Buts it’s messy

However they are breaking the law.
No one should have a 15 ft hedge .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:35 PM

What i wonder about is if a tree has a TPO on it and overhangs next doors garden and they cut the overhang off without your knowledge are you still liable? we actually got permission to reduce the overhang by a number of feet.

From what I understand is a PO overrides any other legislation in this respect. IE neighbour has the right to to cut down overhangs and hand back to the tree owner.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:38 PM

I wrote and asked to reduce a huge branch over my land and got permission .
( it was a council owned Cedar of Lebanon .

Lately I have reduced my neighbours trees by 10 feet .
( I paid for it )
I spoke to them and backed it up with a letter .
Make it as friendly as possible and keep a copy ( this can be used if you need to go to the council to show you have tried amicably to resolve the problem )
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:39 PM

I don,t think there is a PO on any Leylandi. The whole lot of them should have a 'get rid of' order put on them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

29-09-2019, 08:40 PM

I totally agree leylandi should be prohibitied they are a terrible unnatural plague
The man who developed them should be shot!

Do look at the link Ben you definitely have a case
It also explains the procedure .

Here’s a little bit .

The term ‘high hedges’ was subjective until it was defined by the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003: Part 8 in 2005. This is a summary of what constitutes a high hedge under the law:

The hedge is more than 2m (approx 6½ft) tall (there is extra guidance for hedge heights on slopes)
A hedge is defined as a line of two or more trees or shrubs
The hedge is formed wholly or predominantly of evergreens (these don’t lose their leaves in winter) or semi-evergreen ones (that stay green most of the year)
Bamboo and ivy are not included
Where a hedge is predominantly evergreen, the deciduous trees and shrubs within the hedge may be included in the work specified. However, a council can exclude specific trees or require different work

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=408
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
What about the top third of the tree gets snapped off in a high wind? my question is this. What constitutes a tree? is it still a tree with just the main trunk left or not.
Just something that passed through a void in my mind. See one has to worry about these important matters.
A plant is defined by it's genus, not by how well it has grown or been damaged. Thus an oak is a tree while it's alive, and timber when it's dead.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Just poison the bloody things and have done with it. Do it at night so you won't be seen.

Seriously.

Same with any trees on our patch that had a TPO. Just poison them. Claim that nature was to blame. I'd do it without a second thought.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Just poison the bloody things and have done with it. Do it at night so you won't be seen.
Is that how you managed to get rid of your first 3 wives?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top