Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 11:18 PM

Re: When Reality Hits Home....

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
You were very unfortunate there then, everyone I know who has had a rescue dog have got lovely dogs, including us, Brandy was from the RSPCA, she was lovely.
Hi

You are very fortunate then Tiffany.

The local RSPCA will simply not entertain you if you are retired.

I found the whole experience very demeaning.

One of the comments was, How will you be able to afford a dog if you are Retired?

The condescending Prats.

My reply was , well . I have a Pension of well in excess of £30k a year, after Tax, and no mortgage.

How much do you earn?

I am giving the RSPCA a wide berth after that.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 11:25 PM

It’s true some rescues are condescending prat’s and gatekeepers manned by neurotic people who would rather see a dog spend its time in a cage than in a home .
However age is a consideration a pup can easily live until 12 years .
I got my dog from a rescue and he will probably outlive me .
My son will take him but it’s something to think about you are talking on a life .
Art you are wise to consider this .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 12:12 AM

Art, I have no idea how you live or how fit you are, but I think maybe you did the sensible thing in not going to see the puppies. It is easier to turn down a pup if you haven't seen him and held him!

When you said about the breeders advertising last year as well, it made me wonder how many bitches they had, or were they breeding the same bitch every year?
I am rusty now with the latest rules and regs, but if they are breeding the same girl, it used to be that the KC wouldn't let them register the litter, so if the pups had paperwork, it could possibly be false.
I knew someone who did this and issued false pedigrees and paperwork over and over again to unsuspecting buyers, because she knew she couldn't register them because she was over-breeding the poor mother.

Apart from that side of it, if you miss having the companionship of a dog, would you not consider one that was past the lively puppy stage, perhaps 3 or 4 years old?

There are good and bad rescues. Sounds like you chose bad ones before if they didn't vet their re-homers properly, or weren't honest with you about their temperaments.

I agree with Swim though about many turn down older people now.
This is a shame sometimes, as we are finished working and are at home all day, which a younger couple with jobs are not. We also haven't got young kids racing around pulling tails and poking eyes either!

The only problem I can see is if you want to go away a lot.
How did you manage that when you had your Poodle?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 12:39 AM

I’m with the others here in saying you were wise with your decision making.
You feel you’d like another dog but that clearly wasn’t the right choice for you.
We’ve always had dogs and will have one for as long as we can. What we did was downsize the breeds. Now we have smaller dogs that are much easier to care for. A 9 pound and 20 pound dog. They are much easier to care for.
There are so many great small breed dogs that don’t need as much exercise as the larger ones. You are wise in your decision making. Owning a dog is a huge commitment and it’s in your best interest and the dogs to have a good match
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 04:40 AM

Hi

Art is incredibly fit and active.

She has a massive garden, you could exercise any dog by throwing balls or
a Frisbee.

Age catches us all up.

Any dog would have a lovely life with Art.

She is not an idiot and her kids would take care of it if anything happened.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi
She has a massive garden, you could exercise any dog by throwing balls or
a Frisbee.
Not really. Playing ball or frisbee in the winter , sucks, whether you have a massive garden or not. If you don’t exercise dogs enough they can become trouble.

And nobody is calling her an idiot.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 08:43 AM

Art, I know you were heartbroken when your poodle died, but you were also relieved that you could go to places that your lovely pet had prevented you attending. Another dog would mean that there would still be restrictions on when & where you could go!

Most people think a pet will be good company for an older person, but they forget that they are also a responsibility... and that means more work for their owner.
I would never part with my late sister's cats and will always care for them, but I am well aware that they have created a lot more work.
I have also provided for them in my will & made sure they will be cared for if I go before them..... but I do think that looking after ourselves is hard work as we get older, so if I outlive these cats, there will be no more!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Ive been through the same thoughts Art . I had cavalier king charles a mum and daughter . They both died 15 years ago . Ive often wanted another but know i cant afford the insurances and bills . Also i would be more tied as i visit friends who would not want a dog .

You thought it through and made the right decision . I know how you feel
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 10:33 AM

It's been 3weeks since I said goodbye to my Zak.The house is so empty.I have decided to get another dog.All the dogs I've had I've had since they were pups.I am thinking of giving a rescue dog a home.Will pluck up the courage next week to visit a dog's home.I do hope age will not be negative as I am still active and love going for walks.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Since my Labrador and Poodle died, l have really missed having a dog.
Last night, on Gumtree, l saw an advert for Flatcoat x Labrador puppies at £650. I have owned both these breeds and they are lovely dogs.
They showed pics of four puppies, two black and two golden, yet there were eight puppies in the pic of the cage. I immediately sent an email, to say, l would be interested in the black puppies and included my mobile phone number.
I received a text back to say, they would check in the morning to schedule an appointment. I did think this was strange? Surely, they would have the appointment ‘book’ with them?

I then googled their advert and found, they had previously advertised Flatcoat x Labrador puppies on Gumtree a year ago at £550. I was suspicious but maybe, l was overreacting? Were they a puppy farm or selling on behalf of a puppy farm?

In the night, l started to have doubts. Could l cope with a puppy? What if l went out, l would have to rush back like l used to with my other dogs. Could l visit my daughters who have gone to live in London and Brighton and think about a dog climbing three flights of stairs up and down for toileting?
Would the dog, outlive me? Could l cope with the long walks that this breed expects and deserves?

This morning, l got a text to say they could give me an appointment to view at 12 noon.
With a heavy heart, l had to refuse. Was l overreacting and right to refuse, or just a time waster?
As others have said, I think that you have made the right decision Artangel - even though it is a very sad one to have had to make. However, have you considered dog sitting for other people? There are agencies which run dog sitting services whereby you could take a dog into your home for the duration of its owner's absence. Many years ago, before we had our lovely cocker spaniel, we joined an agency to dog sit and found it really rewarding. We met the owners with their dogs prior to agreeing to take the dog - it was all run quite professionally and we had back-up should we need it plus all insurances were in place via the agency. It's just a thought but maybe worth considering?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top