Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 03:00 PM

Re: When Reality Hits Home....

I would never ever buy a dog from a place like Gumtree and risk supporting puppy farmers and ending up with a sick dog.

If I want another dog of no particular breed I will go to one of the many rescues dotted about the country.

If I want a specific breed I will look up the breed club/contact the secretary/ask for a list of approved breeders who in order to qualify to be on the list will have signed up to the breeders code of conduct which includes having health checks applicable to that particular breed. The breeders can also be cross-referenced with those on the Kennel Clubs approved breeders scheme
Most breed clubs also have their own dedicated breed rescues for older dog.

If buying a puppy from a breeder it is always wise ask to see the puppies with dam and the sire too if possible.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 03:05 PM

If you ever thought of fostering or helping someone out Art, the Cinnamon Trust are reputable people. They also need volunteers.
Take a look:

https://cinnamon.org.uk/volunteers/
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
You did the right thing, if you are in any doubt then don't do it.

It sounded like it was a back street breeder anyway.

I was 56 when my last Goldie died and as much as I love the breed I didn't want to have to cope with such a big dog (or that coat that gets filthy as soon as it rains) as I got older so I got a Lab.....jeeeeeez, she's not as big but every bit as strong...and as mad as a box of frogs

I bought her from a back street breeder (Pre-loved advert) and have not regretted it, but maybe I was lucky.

There are foreign rescue organisations that bring dogs in from abroad and they don't seem to be quite as picky as the home grown ones, there are some cracking dogs round here that came from foreign rescue places. Most of these dogs are found as strays so they aren't rescues because of behavioural issues.
Thank You, Nicol.
My sister always says that... I’d You’re not sure, don’t!
There are some lovely Golden Retriever puppies advertised but the prices are all around £1,400 for a puppy.

As, l drove to the shops this morning, l saw a woman out in the torrential rain with two Labradors. I thought that’s another drawback! Dogs still want their walks, whatever the weather!

My grandson and his partner, have adopted a lovely dog from Greece. His partner is now expecting a baby but l’m sure the dog will be ok with it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I would never ever buy a dog from a place like Gumtree and risk supporting puppy farmers and ending up with a sick dog.

If I want another dog of no particular breed I will go to one of the many rescues dotted about the country.

If I want a specific breed I will look up the breed club/contact the secretary/ask for a list of approved breeders who in order to qualify to be on the list will have signed up to the breeders code of conduct which includes having health checks applicable to that particular breed. The breeders can also be cross-referenced with those on the Kennel Clubs approved breeders scheme

If buying a puppy from a breeder it is always wise ask to see the puppies with dam and the sire too if possible.

Meg, while I totally agree with all you say, that is the best advice if you want a puppy straight from the nest.

If you want a dog past the puppy stage, it's not so easy as many rescues won't rehome to us oldies now, so not sure how to get round this?

If Art doesn't want to be tied though, maybe short term foster would be the solution.
I don't know how insurance works out though, if someone's dog had an accident or ran off while in your care?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
If my two dogs die before me..I will never have any more.

You have thought it through and all that it entails....

I have had three dogs in the past....you are constantly working..walking,them,etc.

I want me time,later on in my life....I have given enough of myself to family,pets.
Pauline, ‘l’ll never have another dog’. Sometimes, these are famous last words!
Yes, they are hard work but they do give so much, so you don’t mind!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

26-10-2019, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I can understand that last paragraph perfectly Art, and that is why I changed to a smaller breed after 30 or more years with my Shepherds.

When my last big boy collapsed in the kitchen I really struggled to get him into my car to get him to the vet quickly. I also had one collapse miles away across fields once, too.

These little ones would be so much easier in an emergency or if I was not so good myself any time.
Mups, l remember when one of my Flatcoated Retrievers whilst a puppy, landed badly after jumping over something in the fields. He could hardly walk. I think l somehow carried him at the time but l wouldn’t have been able to do that when he was fully grown.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-10-2019, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Pauline, ‘l’ll never have another dog’. Sometimes, these are famous last words!
Yes, they are hard work but they do give so much, so you don’t mind!

Mine keep me going.
I can't imagine coming home to an empty house.
Luckily I actually enjoy getting their meals, baking them treats, grooming and clipping and the general companionship.
I wouldn't be the same person without them.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

26-10-2019, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I totally agree with you Megs. I wouldn’t normally purchase a dog in this way but the puppies were a cross so l thought it might be a farmer whose two dogs, or another dog, had mated.
It was only when l found the same sort of advert from last year, that l started to wonder if it was a puppy farm? I also thought it was weird that they had to consult the appointment book the next morning as if someone else had it.

I had looked on the Kennel Club site for Labrador puppies available in my area but l couldn’t afford the £1,200 plus prices being asked. I always research everything l purchase first.

Yes, I thought about contacting a breed rescue for a dog but although l might feel and l might look younger, l am still of an age where they would turn me down. Coupled with the fact l have had two bad rescues in the past, l sort of steered away from that option.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

26-10-2019, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
If you ever thought of fostering or helping someone out Art, the Cinnamon Trust are reputable people. They also need volunteers.
Take a look:

https://cinnamon.org.uk/volunteers/
Yes, Mups, l did read about that but for me it would be too temporary and too heartbreaking. I would get too attached.

Also, l would get breeds l can’t take to ie. Pugs, Dachshunds and Bulldogs.

(Apologies to everyone who owns those breeds)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-10-2019, 06:50 PM

Is this any help, Art?

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/ser...spx?breed=2046

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top